Lots of ANXIETY ... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lots of ANXIETY ... Lots of ANXIETY ...

Unread 03-30-2002, 10:44 AM
Lots of ANXIETY ...

My surgery date is slowly creeping up on me.On April 15th . The waiting is I hope the hardest part. Any one have any good idea's for stress relievers? I went to my doctors last week ,having severe headaches,chest pains, & my heart has actually been popping.And I've been sick all winter trying to fight off every kind of infection you can think of.I was amazed to learn stress could make your heart pop& cause all these symptoms. My doctor said with everything I've gone through he's surprised I didn't have these symptoms sooner. I am trying to do everything I can to calm my nerves . I think I just held everything in for way to long.It's taking a toll on me physically! Please tell me I'm not the only one here with these symptoms??? Any one know of any over the counter remedies to help with stress? Any ideas would be appreciated ! With my body being so run down before surgery ...I'm worried how bad am I going to feel after ?
This site has been so wonderful...with all the support & information. I would be lost with out it ! Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 10:51 AM
Lots of ANXIETY ...

Hi Jo-Anne!

(((HUGS))) sweetie! Try to relax, hon! You're very close to having all of this behind you.

The best person to advise or suggest for your stress would be your DR at this point; there are many over the counter meds and herbal supplements that you should stay away from prior to surgery, as there are some things that should not be present in your system.

I hope you do find a way to calm down and try to get some relaxation and rest.

We're here for ya! Take a deep breath....... good, now slowly take another. Focus on getting well.

Best wishes,
Unread 03-30-2002, 11:22 AM
Calming hugs!

Jo-Ann,
Your anxiety is so much a part of the process. Yes the waiting is the hardest part!!!I had my TAH in Dec 2001. I stayed as busy as I physically could be. I felt so bad that I wanted to get it over with! I stayed on the site and chat room practically all the time when I wasn't at work!

Try to relax and let go of some of the stress. Rest, soft music, warm baths, reading, anything to divert your attention for a while!
If you are too stressed and having physical symptoms from the stress, is there something your doc can give you? Please try to de-stress. If you are too stressed at surgery you will have a difficult time in recovery! Hang with us on HS! We're here for you!

s and Blessings,
Janie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 11:34 AM
Lots of ANXIETY ...

Hi, Jo-Anne,

My date is April 15th also. I wish it were this Monday. I understand how you feel. Was feeling down and anxious last night. Someone told me that was normal for a two-weeker. This site helps, plus keeping busy. Good luck.

Debbie
Unread 03-30-2002, 11:53 AM
Hi JoAnne

It's going to be okay
I just wanted to second everything that the other women have shared.
Please don't take anything unless your doctor okays it. But do call for an Rx to relax if you need it.
Here are some things I did:
Walk
Time with Friends
Listened to Meditation and Positive Imagery Tapes
Got a Massage
Got a Pedicure
Stayed Busy
Lived on the HysterSister Website
And just do all the things you love to do. It is never to early to start pampering yourself.
Soon you'll be on the other side.
Unread 03-30-2002, 11:54 AM
Lots of ANXIETY ...

Hugs to all you Ladies In Waiting...

Thinking and praying for you

Tess

Unread 03-30-2002, 01:27 PM
It's me again..

I just wanted to say , I'm glad you reminded me about not taking certain medicine & herbal supplements to soon before my surgery.The stress apparently is fogging up my brain.I have had 4 other laps in the past so I knew that...I don't know what I was thinking. My doctor did say he would give me Paxal ...I'm sure I have the spelling wrong ,but it's an anti-anxiety pill. But he wanted to see if it would subside on it's own first.
I'm on this site all the time and with many questions answered it does help talking to many women about their 1st hand experiences! I have been reading to try to keep my mind on other things. I have been bleeding again...I can't remember the last time I soaked in a bath.It's hard with bleeding 3 to 4 wks out of the month. I'm going to try extra hard to pamper myself for the next 2 wks.Between the kids,husband,house,dog..ect... There has been no time for me. I use to love to workout & that sure did relieve some stress. It's been about 2 months since I worked out because of the pains ,heavy bleeding...passing several clots the size of golf balls.I can't even walk to the other side of the room without feeling these disgusting clots slide out of me.
On the up side in 2 wks I will never feel that again Thank you ladies for all the reminders & advice. Thanks so much
Unread 03-30-2002, 02:13 PM
Anxiety

Hi Joann,

My surgery is on April 8th and I am too filled with anxiety. I have had stomach virus symptoms since last Tuesday. Don't know if it's nerves or a virus,wish it would go away. I have gotten a prescription for Xanex from my doctor for 5 days before my surgery so I don't cry and throw up all week.
I'm trying to keep busy, I've even volunteered to help my cousin on her job and go out of town for 2 days next week. Hope that works. I have a dentist appointment for a crown and my preop visit. But come Thursday, I have nothing to do except think of my surgery. That's when I will take that medicine. Just keep busy and maybe you can ask your doctor for something to help relax you...good luck, talk to you soon. Paula
Unread 03-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Lots of ANXIETY ...

JoAnne, here's what I did during those interminable pre-op weeks:

cooked like a fiend, filled the freezer for post-op meals
took hot baths
journaled about my feelings a LOT
hung out on hystersisters a LOT
did yoga, stretching, deep breathing/meditation
talked out my fears with DH
took a couple of hours and visualized the entire surgery process (going smoothly and painlessly)

Some women talk about borrowing or renting relaxation CDs. Even when you're incredibly stressed, there are some things you can do with visualization and breathing that can take the edge off.

Hang in there!

Melissa
Unread 03-30-2002, 02:27 PM
Boy...are we alike.

Hi Paula.....my name is the same as yours and I'm the same age as you and my hyst is April 15th. Wow....do we ever have a lot in common!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register