Why is it taking so long?! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why is it taking so long?! Why is it taking so long?!

Unread 03-30-2002, 12:19 PM
Why is it taking so long?!

Hi again everyone-
I guess I just need to vent a little. Two weeks ago, I found out I need a TVH. My doctor said that he needed to contact my insurance, and my primary doctor (we have an HMO) to get his OK, on this surgery. So I wait, and I wait. I get scared and think, "forget it". Thinking maybe I don't want this surgery after all. Then I think of the pain and bleeding that will be heading my was in 2 weeks and I want the surgery again. Well, yesterday I called my GYN. and asked if they found out anything. Well, they get back to me and say he still hadn't even contacted my primary doctor yet! Its been over 2 weeks. I am so mad. I just want to get this over with! OK...I feel better just needed to vent. I guess I'll just sit here and wait some more....
~Jodie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 12:38 PM
Hi Jodie

You have every right to be frustrated. Here's a
I have limited experience with HMO's. Certainly for nothing serious. I just switched to a PPO from an HMO when I was diagnosed. Boy am I glad I did.
Here are a few idea's. Please use them or ignore them as you see fit.
1. Call your Primary Care Physician yourself and tell them what is going on - or get an appointment and tell him in person
2. Get a referral from your Primary Care Physician to a different
doctor/surgeon
3. Can you meet with 2 or 3 different surgeons in an HMO and then pick the one you want?
4. If all else fails call "Member Services" and complain!
You deserve better than this.
Keep us posted on what happens, okay.
Unread 03-30-2002, 06:57 PM

Hi Jodie

The waiting, every stage of it, is really hard. I waited two weeks to get my surgery date and this was after getting the referral from my family doctor, etc. I kept calling my gyn's office every few days and felt like such a pest, but when you're expecting to have this surgery, you just want to know when it will be!

Venting is good, so vent here anytime. Meanwhile, I agree that you might try calling your family doctor to get a referral to your gyn. That might speed things up. Also, I called the insurance company myself a couple of weeks after I got my surgery date, just to be sure it was approved. It was and that was such a relief.

Best of luck, Jodie. Keep us posted on what is happening. I know how hard it is to wait for these medical folks to get things organized. This is a real test of patience, that's for sure!

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 07:10 PM

Jodie,
I'm very sorry you are having to deal with all of this. This is a very emotional time for you and the waiting and wondering has just got to be driving you nuts. Please vent as often as you need. That's what this website is all about.......supporting one another through each stage. We look forward to hearing how this whole story ends. I do hope that you hear something very very soon.
Unread 03-31-2002, 06:09 AM
Thank you!

I just wanted to thank everyone who posted thier idesa for me, and comforting words. I guess I will call my primary doctors office and see if he has heard from my GYN. The waiting is so awful. My DH is probably so tired of hearing me change my mind about this surgery from day to day. I think once I get a date, it will be better. Or maybe I'll just freak out! This is the best site, I am so happy to have found it. Everyone one here is so helpful and wonderful. I really appreciate everything. We are leaving tomorrow morning to take our 3 kids out to Arizona for spring break. I think I will give it a rest and try not to think about everything and enjoy my DH and kids. I'm sure I will be the first one in the house when we get home checking out the answering machine! Lets hope I hear something I will keep you all posted and thanks again! 's to everyone!
Jodie
Unread 03-31-2002, 06:28 AM

Dear Jodie,

Have a wonderful time on your vacation - Arizona is such a beautiful state that it will probably help you to get your mind off of the up-coming surgery.

If you don't have a mesage on your answering machine when you return, please be sure to call your PCP's office and ask them to become involved.

Have a great time.

's

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register