Just got home today! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just got home today! Just got home today!

Unread 03-30-2002, 06:17 PM
Just got home today!

Hello ladies,
I'm back! I'm doing really well. Had my TAH w/removal of both ovaries and am feeling good. I went in Wed. morning and got to come home today (Sat.) around noon time.
The best, best BEST thing I took with me was my lavender scented eye pillow! It really kept the light out and allowed to me sleep when I needed. Since my door was right by a sort of mini-nurses station there was alot of activity going on....phones ringing, nurses talking, etc. The noise didn't bother me, but invariably, when they came in to take vitals, they would either leave the light on (the one I couldn't operate from my bed) or leave the door open. With the eye pillow, I could just block that all out.
The hardest part was the IV and the first day. By day two I felt pretty good and was walking often. The morphine made me feel nauseous everytime I tried to eat (jello) or drink anything, so as soon as I was able (the evening of the 2nd day), I just asked for Tylenol which worked fine. I actuall threw up once...believe me that is NOT fun with stitches in your belly and dry heaved once. But once I got on the Tylenol, it was much better.
About visitors.....before I went in, whenever anyone asked if they could visit me, I just told them the hospital didn't recommend anyone except immediate family (spouse, kids) for the first two days and only 10 min. visits. This worked out great. Believe me, you do not feel like entertaining visitors! Not to mention the wonderful bedhead look you get. With my short hair, I looked like some kind of middle aged woman going for the gothic look....hair flat against my head with a fat mohawk going down the center. Not attractive at all.
Also, a small jar of petroleum jelly is a big help with chapped lips. My throat was dry so much I wished I'd taken my throat spray with me. I didn't want cough drops because of the risk of falling asleep with one in my mouth. Choking would've really hurt the belly!
Well, that's it for now. I think I've used my allotted sitting time. I'll check back in later. Take care and thanks again to all the ladies who've gone before me and helped me prepare for this journey.
You can do it. It's not nearly as bad as our imaginations like to make us believe. We are strong. We are women! We can do this!
Blessings to all,
Shirley
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 06:36 PM
Just got home today!

Hi Shirley

You sound great! So glad you are home and that your castle stay went well since you were so prepared. Dry heaves and getting sick are no fun, that's for sure. I had a little trouble with that too and it's tough with that abdominal incision. Laughing isn't too great for awhile either!

Please rest a lot, keep your feet propped up, drink lots of water, and limit your computer time for a few days. Sitting is an activity, so don't overdo it.

So glad to hear from our newest princess

Take it easy and let us know how you're doing.

Beth
Unread 03-30-2002, 06:39 PM
Just got home today!

Shirley, Dosent it feel great to be home? Glad you are okay take care Angela
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2002, 07:51 PM
Just got home today!

I'm glad that you are home Shirley! I'm with you! I was not up to entertaining all the visitors that came. I was really wiped out. You have shared some excellent tidbits here. Now that you are home be sure to Pamper the and keep in mind that sitting at the computer is an activity. Limit your time at the computer while you are trying to recover from your recent return home.
Unread 03-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Just got home today!

Welcome home!! Be good - repeat after me...walk, rest, drink, walk, rest, drink!

I've heard of sleeping masks, but what's an eye pillow?
Unread 03-31-2002, 06:23 PM
Just got home today!

An eye pillow is like an eye mask but it doesn't have the holes in it. I think most of them are filled with buckwheat hulls, lavender, begamot, etc., and are usually silk covered. They mold to your face and completely block out the light. They're also nice and cool.

You can get them in most bath/candle sections of department stores and run anywhere from $6.99 to $25.00. Local health stores usually carry them too.
I've had mine for about two years and never travel anywhere without it! They're good for migraines when light hurts your eyes. You can also heat them in the microwave for spot relief for tight muscles.
Second day home and I'm doing pretty well. One thing I'd like to offer that helped in the hospital when getting back into bed after going to the bathroom or walking was to enter the bed on my knee. It kind of broke the fall of gravity so I could just roll on my side then onto my back. Believe me, the pull of gravity and your body's natural response to hold itself up, puts a big strain on your tummy area. Going knee first really helped.
Best of luck to all you LIW's. It really is going to be okay. Just take it easy and allow your body to heal at it's own rate. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. There is no "right" way to get back to normal....don't rush it. Your body will tell you what it needs.
Blessings and prayers to all!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register