HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!

3 weeks post op - incision super tight 3 weeks post op - incision super tight

Unread 02-22-2014, 02:46 AM
3 weeks post op - incision super tight

I still have the steri-strips on (only 2 have come off) and it's been 23 days since my abdominal hysterectomy. I am finding my incision feels really tight the last few days and when I'm sitting upright it actually feels like it is pulling sideways on it. I have cut back on my pain meds recently but I would have thought that would be okay. I also found that squatting down on my heels and then reaching forward really pulls on the incision. How long did you find it hard to reach forward? And how long did your incision pull? And how long were your steri-strips left on? I had an 8 inch incision with 30 staples (removed on 4th day)...
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:43 AM
Re: 3 weeks post op - incision super tight

I was still on 3 daily doses of pain medz at this point. One of those doses being narcotics. At the 5 week mark, I was able to significantly reduce my medz and eliminate the narcotic. I'm just a couple days shy of 6 weeks now, and I still taking 2 Advil in the evening.
So, from my experience, YES, bending, squatting, reaching still hurt at 3-4 weeks.
Unread 02-22-2014, 09:52 AM

I'm 5 weeks, and it still feels tight. I saw my surgeon and he says that's totally normal. In fact, I think I'm tighter now than I was 2 weeks post op, because the tissue that's healing inside (where he put the internal stitches) is getting hard. He assures me it will soften. My advice is don't bend forward. I am trying to perfect the 'squat down holding onto a chair or something' when I need to pick something up - imagine a ballet dancer doing a full pliee. The doc said that would avoid hurting anything and it certainly avoids the pain. He also said that I should make sure I do stand up straight, so that I am (gently) stretching out the area, which will help loosen it up (gently is the key word, for 6 weeks, he said)

It does get better, honest!! (although I have days now when I think I'm almost invincible and others when I feel I'm as bad as when I left hospital - depending on whether I overdid it the day before)
Unread 02-22-2014, 10:05 AM

I was wondering about this tightness as well and am almost 2 weeks out. How lucky are you case5 to still have pain meds at 3 weeks! I am on over the counter tylenol 1s that don't really do anything. I was sent home with 25 Oxycocet that I stretched out over the first week. I saved 2 to take before I had my staples out and I still have 1 left that I am saving in case I REALLY need it. My doctor felt that giving me any more pain meds was asking for addiction and basically told me to suck up the pain. I was quite surprised, especially when back in Nov after my appendectomy I was sent home with 40 Oxycodone, and that was a much more minor surgery!
Unread 02-22-2014, 02:12 PM

I only have 3 Voltaren pills left and I've just been taking those at night for the last 3 days. Other than that just Regular strength Tylenol. I'm glad I asked because it sounds like this tightness is normal. Thanks everyone!
Unread 02-22-2014, 02:31 PM

I really enjoyed and found reading this tread very helpful. I was given some advise about my insesion pain so I tried the cool n hot heating pack and it helped

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.