please help! unsure what to expect? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

please help! unsure what to expect? please help! unsure what to expect?

Unread 03-31-2002, 04:59 AM
please help! unsure what to expect?

just got hospital app, for initial consultation (uk) was very sure wanted hyst, ive a prolaps for 10 years. After reading lots of letters on here am most concerned that i am making the right choise. Did anyone else feel like this.I am 36yrs old and fit, but after reading some stories i am frightened my life will be ruined afterwards. I didnt realise that you have to eat differently after and your life is on hold for a long time, I felt that if i had it done whilst i was young, it would be better, I am not in pain as so many ladies have said, but dont want to have a hyst when older and less fit, Please can someone offer some advise allso am unsure regarding hormones afterwards do you have to hrt or is ther other options thankyou for taking the time to read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 06:07 AM

suki1066,

I have not had a hyst yet...but from the hours and hours of reading here and posting, I feel that my decision to have one is the right decision. Everyone is different! From what I have read, the recovery time is quite long and you are not able to do the things you have done before...but for me the things I have enjoyed doing have been gone for 2 years because of adeno...the pain and bleeding have controlled my life so a few months of recovery will not hurt me in the least and hopefully the surgery will give me my life back! I suggest you talk to your doctor, he would be the one to answer most of your questions...this decision is not an easy one to make and you should be sure this is what YOU really want! Best of luck to you...keep us posted.
Unread 03-31-2002, 06:46 AM

Hi Sukie, and Welcome to Hystersisters!!

I'm so glad that you found us. I will try to answer your questions from my own personal experience.

My life is definitely not ruined, and I am 56 years old and in just average physical shape for my age. I feel much better than before my hyst, and am glad that I had it. I went back to work at 5 1/2 weeks, and except for still needing my donut pillow to sit on for a few more days (to ease the pressure on the A & P stitches) and being tired, I was back to normal pretty quickly.

As for eating differently - that's just for a little while, only until your bowels begin to move normally again. Some of the meds that we are given for pain are constipating, and so it's important to be careful of what you eat at first, until you're off the meds.

I was eating normally after about a week or 10 days - maybe even sooner. And I had TVH, with repairs done for prolapses, probably very much like what you will be having done.

Please talk to your doctor about HRT - if your ovaries are healthy and are not removed, you probably won't need any hormones, but it's going to depend upon what you and your doctor decide. I was already in menopause and already taking hormones when I had my hyst, but my doctor left my ovaries in because they are healthy, and whatever hormones they are still producing is helpful.

Please go to the main page and read through the articles in the pre-op and post-op drop down menus, and continue to ask questions - that's what we are here for.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 06:52 AM
same feelings----

I am also 36 years old with prolapsed.I just found out in Feb. of this year. I too am horrified by things I have read,but they all seem to be doing fine now. I myself am trying to positive-----looking for a day when I have no pain or pressure and not CRABBY 24-7 !
Good luck to you!
Unread 03-31-2002, 07:17 AM

I am 38 and jsut had a hyster in Oct of last yr for prolapse. I can honestly say I was like you! I did not want surgery later in life when the risks were greater!
I suggest you keep your ovaries unless there is something wrong with them or you have history of cancer in the family! I did and thank God every day!~
Sure I still get PMS every month. But it is a LOT less than it used to be and I don't have to worry about finding the right HRT, or high blood pressure later on [which no link has been proven between hyster and High BP, but everyone I met that yanked their ovaries has high BP-so just my choice], and I don't have to worry about all those symptoms. I have enough of them due to perimeno and don't want more!
Listen to me well........I AM LOVING LIFE! For the first few months it was hard, I tired easily, I cramped easily. I had a few rare complications at first, and I thought My God what have I done???? You know what? I would go through it all over again to feel like this today!
Of course this is your choice and your body. You know what you can and can't deal with. But please hear all of us who have been through it.....It isn't as bad as our minds lead us to believe before the surgery!
What in your life has come easily for you? Haven't you ever had something you wanted so bad and you had to work for it? Well, guess what?"--You gotta work for this one too! Whether it is just changing your diet temporarily after so as not to get tied up, or adjusting to different healing processes while your body recovers. This process, for me, was so worth it! I can wake up in the morning and not feel everything pulling down all the time and pain. I can lift things without worrying about a rupture or making things worse. I can have sex with my husband of 17 yrs, and not worry about being sore the next day or pain during or bleeding during!
I love my life,...and this made everything better. It is not for everyone. But I truly believe it was for me, and that attitude before surgery is as important as rest after!
You are you....no one wants to change that. And you have a right to decide what is best for you. And I know you will. Jsut give yourself time and understanding! And give your self a big hug too!
This is a long process,....you are gonna do fine!
Love and hugs
Peanut
Unread 03-31-2002, 07:27 AM

hello ladies
I am 42 years old I just had mine on the 20th of march
I am 12 days post op today
before sugery I did not hurt
I did not bleed all the time matter of a fact my monthly was only three days long
the reason I had my surgery was for prolasp
when I coughed I peed on myself
I had to have my blatter and rectum repaired
mine had been like this for the last 10 years
I finely found a doctor that would fix it for me
since the surgery
I no longer wet on myself
I have not had pain
I don't have sleep problems
I have regular BM
I don't have troubles peeing
I eat what I want to
I am now off the percreption pain meds
I am now taking 400 mg of ibuprofen
I feel good

if I had weighted
it would have gotten worst
I would probly had to fight UTI all the time or a yeast infection or one thing or another
I am just lucky I found a doctor who I didn't have to fight to have this done
well that's my two cents
hugs ladypeewee
Unread 04-01-2002, 02:24 AM
thank you

just read my replies, thank you ladies, your posative respones have made me feel better
good look to you all
Iwill keep checking in, and keep you informed xxx

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register