So many questions/fears... :o/ | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So many questions/fears... :o/ So many questions/fears... :o/

Unread 03-31-2002, 12:55 PM
So many questions/fears... :o/

Well, not only am I in the official *less than a week left* freakout staqe, I also have some questions that while may seem "superficial", are really bothering me. My imagination is running amuck, to say the least!

I keep hearing this complaint about tummies falling to your knees after surgery? Is this common? I don't really care if I have a little belly left after the swelly belly goes down, but HANGING TO MY KNEES?!?!? ugh! Is my body shape really going to change this much?

Also, I find myself more and more fearfull of what they might find once they open me up, like cancer.. Is this a common fear? My symptoms seem ever so much worse the past week or so, than ever before. I hear that sometimes this happens? Like your uterus kind of *flips out* just before surgery? My nerves are on edge, too, so I'm sure that isn't helping matters..

I have also been having nightmares lately. I have woken up drenched in sweat and crying from awful nightmares that go along with the fears I mentioned above. The worst one being that the Dr's are standing over me and saying, "It's such a shame, she is SO young and now she'll only have 6 months to a year to live"! Okay, I know I must be totally flipping out, here. HELP!!

Has everyone gone through this? Or am I just a strange cookie? Sorry if I sound wierd! I'm really not.. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 02:22 PM
I am 4 days post op.....can I help?!?

Hi!

I had my surgery on Wednesday 3/27 and came home thursday p.m. You sound pretty normal to me!!!! The weird dreams are common and having this surgery is very stressful. So give yourself a break.

Honestly the worst part so far has been nausea from the pain meds. My belly is swelly.....look a little pregnant, which is kind of funny if you think about it. I am very sore where I bend, but once
I sit or lay down its just slightly uncomfortable. I switched to advil for pain on friday and today am starting to feel more like myself!!! Boredom is starting to set in so I must be on the mend!!!

I had a recurring dream in the weeks before surgery that I had a positive pregnancy test and they had to cancel my surgery!!!! Talk about a nightmare!!!! So when I was checked in they asked for a urine sample.......and guess what they ran a last minute pregnancy test!!!!! Sure glad it was negative!!!!!

Let yourself feel what you need to feel.........I was very afraid but tried to keep it to myself and stay positive on the outside even thought I was shaking on the inside. Now that its over I can honestly say waiting was the hardest part!!!!

I wish you peace of mind and a speedy recovery!!! Please post when you are up to it........I want to know how you do!!!!
Unread 03-31-2002, 02:33 PM

Julie, hi! I'm also having surgery this week. I'm a little nervous, but trying to keep busy so I do not think about it very much! We all handle stress differently. All the 's here say the same thing, the waiting is the worst part.

Hope to hear from you once you're home from the Castle! (I'm looking forward to that!! LOL) In the meantime, try to be as relaxed as you can before surgery and begin your recovery.

I'll be thinking of you this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 04:00 PM

Hi, Julie -

FIrst of all, no question is superficial or stupid, and isn't that why they call them imaginations, cause they imagine all sorts of stuff that probably won't ever happen? We all do it!

No no no..if someone said their tummy was down to their knees, they were probably doing awee bit of exaggerating. I had a bit of a tummy before surgery and EXCELLENT tummy muscles which have partly returned to normal, but not completely, so I can't hold it all in. There's a bit of swelling, too, but not that much. And I've lost a few pounds, probably in my tummy, postop. I can get into my normal jeans (have only tried ones that have elastic waists and no zipper front for comfort reasons), and I look close to the way I did before surgery. Of course, everyone is different.

I DID have a real concern about cancer, which is why I had my surgery, but I really don't think it's likely that you would just develop cancer in these few weeks. Not an official medical comment, so ask your dr if it's upsetting you. My guess it's just part of this fear thing.

Didn't go through the nightmares. but others have.

Fear is very very normal..and it comes out differently in each of us - nightmares, tears, aches and pains, and on and on.

Yes, ladies..it's true - waiting is the hardest part of this!
Unread 03-31-2002, 04:24 PM

Hi Julie,

It's perfectly normal to be scared before going through any major surgery, and most of us who have already had our hysts know exactly how you are feeling.

Have you asked your doctor for something to ease your fears a little bit? If you are waking up shaky from nightmares, you aren't getting the rest that is also important before you go into surgery.

Please call your doctor in the morning and tell them how you have been feeling. Your doctor may prescribe something mild that will help you right now.

Please try not to worry - it will be over soon and you'll be reassuring the other LIW that the waiting part is truly the hardest part.

's

Karen
Unread 03-31-2002, 05:04 PM
big belly?

I too am awaiting surgery--it will be my third.. This time they are taking everything. A lot a people say you can't have a flat stomach after abdominal surgery--this is simply not true. What is true is you will lose all muscle tone--but there is no reason you can't get it back---in time -- don't rush . If you are heavy, that may mean a more saggy belly, but it is temopary until you can rebuild muscle. I have never had trouble regaining a flat stomach after a laporotomy--but it did take work and healthy eating!
Unread 03-31-2002, 05:32 PM

Julie - as everyone else has said, waiting is the worst part. I'm two weeks away from my castle date of 4/15. I'm keeping busy and trying not to think about it.

Definitely talk to your Doctor about your fears and your nightmares. I talked with my doctor (actually cried during the visit) and he gave me something to take when I get myself really stressed out. It's mainly at night.

I too am concerned about cancer. I did have a CA125 test (blood work) and it came out extremely low. Have you had blood work?

This site is a great place to make friends and receive the support until the castle day. Afterwards I'm sure we will be the ones giving support to our sisters in waiting, telling them 'waiting is the worst'.

Best of Luck to you and we'll keep you in our prayers.

Barb

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register