Very painful pre-op rectocele (help) | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Very painful pre-op rectocele (help) Very painful pre-op rectocele (help)

Unread 03-31-2002, 04:36 PM
Very painful pre-op rectocele (help)

I've had some good days, some bad ... but today was the worst. I finally had to pull out the sodium(?) fleet enema ... what a tradeoff (to get relief from that pain, created extreme other pain).

If anyone's dealt with this, maybe you could tell me what might be better than the solution that comes in those? If I mixed a weak vinegar douche type solution, would that be safe in that area? Should I use a bit of olive oil? Lots of questions ...

I know I'm only 11 more nights but, after today, they can get really long ... and I just can't go through another sodium(?) reaction. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 05:29 PM

Hi Katie!

I understand. I am having the same problem - I think. Does the constipation put so much pressure on everything to fall even further out, that you feel like you are dilating? It does for me. The rectocele causes terrible constipation problems for me. Like you, I use the Fleet enemas. Let me know if you find something better.

Rayna
Unread 03-31-2002, 06:06 PM

I think you might want to consider asking your DR for his/her suggestions. It is a good idea to check everything you are using for the last two weeks prior to your surgery with the DR so there won't be any surprise interactions going on.

Also, check out whatever you plan to take in the first weeks post op. Don't want any surprises then either.

Good luck with all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 09:28 AM
just a question

I am having a tvh due to prolapse of the uterus, cystocele ,rectocele on May 1st. After reading all these post, I am not having ANY constipation problems--why would Dr. want to do a rectocele???? He did mention that there was muscle tone loss. Cam some please advise me on this????
Unread 04-01-2002, 11:32 AM

My doctor advised me to take a daily stool softner with OUT laxative. They are over the counter and non-addictive . Also Fibercon ,Metamucil etc can help soften and move things. Please all of you call you doc for advice. Using enemas often isn`t the best thing for you. I also had a rectoceole which is now repaired but my doc still wants me to keep everything soft so it doesn`t come back.

God Luck. Paula
Unread 04-01-2002, 02:57 PM

Thank you, ladies ... your responses are truly heartening.

ShirlO and Lucy, I will play it very safe. You're right about being so careful. If I get really desparate, I'll dump the fleet contents and use warm water (without additives), and not daily.

Rayna, yes, there is pressure that feels like dilation that is causing alot of pain. Most times I do have to go, others I don't, but the cervix is causing that pressure, as my uterus is prolapsing. So, it feels as if I'm constipated, even when I'm not, but when the pain gets so bad and worsens and there's no relief (and I have to "get done" to get to work) ... thank God I'm on the downhill side of the waiting.

Dmb, constipation is sometimes a problem caused by stool matter that cannot clear past the pouches caused by the weakened tissues. When that happens, it often makes those very pouches worse, then it's a cycle. I'm so glad your doc spotted yours and is fixing it before it becomes problematic. Mine became problematic around November, and is now very painful ... but I'd apparently had it for a long time.

It's weird, too, that my cystocele bulges "bigger," and has only even remotely given any problems during the last few weeks. I also just learned that the bladder is "connected" to the uterus, and with that dropping causing all the rectal pain, it's no wonder I have to sit with my body almost parallel to the floor to relieve my bladder

Wow - some of the things we
discuss would make men !!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register