a little afraid | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a little afraid a little afraid

Unread 03-31-2002, 04:45 PM
a little afraid

This is my first post--My surgery is in two weeks(complete hysterectomy including ovaries). I am 32 and in good condition. What scares me most is recovery. I have very little support and I am a single mother of a nine year old. My sister is coming to town for four days. I will probably just get home when she leaves. Can I do this--how much down time will I have? I expect everyone to say find someone to help you----But there is no one to find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 05:00 PM
a little afraid

I'm sure you'll be fine. We all manage to find a way when we have to.

Can your kid help out some? They may feel really good knowing they're helping mommy get better by fetching water or lifting the cat food.

Or maybe you can talk to the hospital about arranging some at-home care after the surgery. I remember reading that insurance covers that. Not sure.

I hope your surgery goes really well!

Melissa
Unread 03-31-2002, 05:05 PM
a little afraid

Hi Mj,

Welcome to Hystersisters!!

I'm sorry that you may have to go through your recovery by yourself, and I know that you said there just isn't anyone else, but I have a few thoughts that may not have occured to you.

Your 9 year old is probably old enough to take care of her (his?) own breakfast, and can do simple things like a load of laundry, vacuum, and dust if you show her where everything is before hand.

You can cook meals ahead of time and leave them in the freezer to be heated up when you're home, or your sister can leave plenty of food for when she has to go back home. There are lots of frozen dinners that you can buy and have ready, too.

If possible, you might want to get a shower chair for extra safety in the shower.

There are lots of hints in the pre-op and post- op pull down menus on the main page (click on the 3 Princesses at the top left of this page to get there, and then scroll down almost to the bottom of the page to find the drop-down menus)

If there are no family members who can come after your sister leaves, have you thought about the women you work with or your neighbors? Have you let them know that you are having surgery and that you will be alone after your sister goes home?

You also might want to post in the post-op forum to ask for any helpful hints from other ladies who didn't have much help at home after their hyst.

Please let us know how you are.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 05:28 PM
a little afraid

Hi MJ, and welcome to the best support you'll ever find!!!

I agree with everything the sisters have suggested, and have some personal experience I can share with you. I was alone for my recovery, and I did just fine. I do not have any children, but, at age 9, I'm sure your child will be able to do alot for him/her self.

One suggestion I have is to check with your insurance to see if they cover a visiting nurse. If so, ask your Dr. to set it up, she could come a few times a week and just make sure you're physically doing okay.

Buy lots of non-perishable groceries, frozen meals, comfort food, juices, whatever you might possibly want for the first few weeks. Make sure everything is in a position where you won't have to stretch to reach it. I even set up a little table next to the toilet so I didn't have to reach for toilet paper....

Keep hanging out here and post any questions you may have. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here.

Stop in chat for some real time support and fun.

s to you!
Unread 04-01-2002, 03:43 PM
a little afraid

If you let friends and co-workers know i think you will be surprised how many can lend a hand.I had help but I was so thrilled when people brought over a meal . You will be amazed at what your child can do . Don`t look at the dirt. Also do you belong to a church? let them know , they can help. It makes alot of people feel good to help others.
Good luck Paula
Unread 04-01-2002, 03:49 PM
a little afraid

Hi. Sorry to hear that your sister can only stay four days, but thank goodness you have your son to help you out!

I have been stocking up on juice and water,and have a 4-tier cart by my bed with phone/address book/books/etc... I have been showing my son how to do the laundry, how to wash dishes, etc... just to prepare him that Mom will not be able to do this for awhile...do the same with your son. He'll do fine.

Call a maid service in to clean the house one day when you know it will probably need a good cleaning, if your son is not able to do all that!

Also, can you grocery shop online (isn't there one Peapod.com?) and choose a delivery time when your son will be home so he can put away the groceries.

Wish I could offer you more suggestions...wish you the best.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register