New to this and very afraid !!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to this and very afraid !!!! New to this and very afraid !!!!

Unread 03-31-2002, 05:36 PM
New to this and very afraid !!!!

Hello Everyone,
I just recieved the date for my TVH, it will be done 4/18/02. I have been having a lot of bad cramps for a long time but recently started getting very bad and I can not move for the first couple days of my period. I look and feel like the walking dead at that time of the month.
I am very worried about the recovery time involved. I am all so worried about going back to work when it is all over, I install accessories on cars. There is a lot of physical work involved and some long hours, I am just afraid that I won't be able to keep up.

Well I am trying to keep a positive out look, my husband has all ready said that he will be here to take care of me(and I know he will). I think I am just afraid of the unknown, from the surgery, recovery and even what my sex life will be after all is said and done. I will be 40 in May and I feel like a little girl afraid of the dark.

Thank you for letting me admitt how I feel and I want you to know that I have been reading the support messages for a few days and find them very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 05:50 PM

I too am awaiting surgery and worry al ittle about my sex life and other changes due to losing both ovaries at a young age. I can't give any answers but look forward to reading what other say to you. Physically, you should be able to return to your normal life and job judging from my experience from previous surgeries, but never the whole thing, like now. Take care of yourself and eat healthy and you may even feel better afterwards!
Unread 03-31-2002, 05:57 PM

My TVH was 2/19..To me it was easier than giving birth to my three children. The most pain I had after the surgery was right after and it felt like a pressure in my lower back and hip..I woke up in recovery room thinking Man I gotta go pee. and it was from the packing, which came out the next morning and felt no worse than having a tampon removed. I aksed to be released from teh hospital the next afternoon, 27 hours after my surgery. I felt great. I was tired and a bit sore, but nothing bad. I was out walking around the next day on my block to get the gas moving. I only bled the day after my surgery and then just a lite pink discharge when I wiped for about three days. I am not almost six weeks post op and except for being tired in the afternoon, I could never even tell you I had surgery. I was a good princess tho and for the first two weeks I did nothing around my house. The third week I did do small things..IE...load the dishwasher when it was just a few dishes..etc..I made sure that I did everything my Dr said cuz I did not want to go thru another surgery down the road.. The waiting really is the hardest part. If you are having a TVH it is not bad. I was not sore inside of my vagina like I was after giving birth and i felt great. Like I said being tired was about all there was to it for me. I had the morphine pump, which I hardly used. I think at nite I used it more cuz i could not sleep and wanted to get some sleep but it was taken out right away in the AM and the cathedar was taken out the next morning and I was going pee within ten minutes after taking that out. I got up and walked around the nite of my surgery in my room. Not a bad surgery at all..At least not for me..TVH is the only way to go I thin k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 09:39 PM
Hi Junerose

Each hyst is different and healing time is different for each sister, but the similarities are such that reading the posts will give you a good idea what your TVH is going to be like. I had no trouble and I had a tah/bso. The other things are the same no trouble in the sex life department in fact it is better no pain. working you will know when you can go back to work. Maybe you can take 8 weeks and see or maybe if you could go back after 6 and work half day if possible. Some ideas maybe you can work out something after you are into recovery time. Just be sure and follow your DR's orders no matter what you feel because you can do damage without knowing it until later. you have a lot to heal inside. God Bless.
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:36 AM

Just wanted to add a positive reply to your post.

I'm 6 months post op this week and feeling just so good. Had TVH and have to say a dentist visit is worse. I was able to go to the toilet immediately after, shower myself although a little difficult with the drip in my arm for the first 12 hours, but after 24 hours of dozing and sipping water, reality returned and I was back with the living.
Had 4 nights in hospital but only because it was over the weekend and my GYNO had returned to the city on Friday and I had to wait for the locum to set my free!! on the Monday.
Had 4 weeks off work and tried my best to not overdo things during recovery. My advice would be to have a good support team in place. Graciously accept any help offered, whether it be to just make you a cuppa or wash the dishes. Hopefully you too will make a full recovery and all aspects of your life will be fullfilled. I feel so much more healthy, it's as if all the bad bits have been taken away, and my body is thanking me for it.

Cheers
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:51 AM

Tomarrow I will be 3 weeks post-op. I had a TAH/BSO. I felt better as soon as I was out of surgery. I feel great at home. I take it easy and not to over do it. I do little light housework. I do get tired. I do little walks a couple of times a day and rest rest rest. I have little pain. Pain was not an issue while in the hospital either. The waiting before the surgery was the worst part of the whole thing.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register