New Here | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-31-2002, 06:12 PM
New Here

Hi, I'm new to this site. I've been browsing the past few hours and have found a lot of good information.

I was just released from the hospital yesterday after being admitted for shortness of breath caused by anemia caused by...you guessed it... excessive bleeding due to fibroids. (The ER doc admitted me because she thought the shortness of breath was due to a cardiac problem. Needless to say, two days and thousands of dollars in horrendous medical tests later, she agreed it was due to anemia. SHEESH!!!)

Anyway, she suggested I have a hysterectomy, as the Provera my GYN has me on isn't working and the fibroids are just getting larger, and I'm getting weaker from the blood loss. So tomorrow, I get to call my GYN to schedule my very own hysterectomy.

My main concern is that I live alone. I'm divorced; my two oldest sons live and work in Jacksonville, FL; and my daughter, who does live nearby, works all day. My Mom is disabled and can barely care for herself, let alone me. How will I cope with recovering from surgery on my own? And how long will it take before I can get back to work? I don't have much sick leave or vacation time or even money saved, since I've only worked at my job for six months. I'm not sure yet which type of surgery I will be having (though I suspect it will probably be abdominal since the fibroids have gotten so large.)

My other concern (I'm sure I'll have more later) is that during my hospital stay this week, I seem to have developed a severe dermatitis reaction to latex bandages. I've had this type of reaction on a milder scale in the past, but this time, I'm broken out everywhere they stuck a bandage or EKG lead. I actually have large blisters and red, raw patches. I know I should inform my doctor of this prior to the surgery, but I'm scared to death that while I'm under anesthesia, some careless medical person will slap a band-aid on me and I'll have to deal with that on top of everything else! Has anyone else had this problem?

Any suggestions or advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 06:27 PM
New Here

How awful to deal with such a situation!!

I had a TAH for fibroids 13 months ago. In terms of caring for yourself, there is no reason why you cannot recoup at home without anyone else. Just be sure to have things like water, books, pain meds, etc. close within reach to avoid having to get up and down several times. Some ladies have mentioned the sliding hospital trays - I imagine they would be pretty handy. I would think you could get one at an extended health care centre. If you have stairs, try to arrange your things so you only have one trip up and down for the first few days at home - I found that was the hardest thing to deal with. Cooking in advance will also be helpful - freeze whatever you can so all you have to do is heat it up when you're hungry.

I'm not sure how long you will be at the hospital - I was in 5 days and from what I have read here, it seems like a long period of time. Some princesses were home after 2 days! I was ready to come home after 5 days - I was already up and walking by the time I was released. I guess a lot of your home recovery depends how early you are ready to leave the hospital. Certainly something to check.

Try to remember - waiting truly is the hardest part. I almost went out of my mind waiting for Feb.26 last year - it was so much better when it was all over (and it wasn't even close to as bad as I had been thinking it would be...) This site is amazing - I didn't find it until after my surgery - wish I would have known about it before! You have tons of friends here!!!

A.
Unread 03-31-2002, 06:40 PM
New Here

Hello,
I'm so happy you found this site... it has been a God send for me.
I had a TAH\BSO. I was in the hospital three nights and when I was released, the Dr. wanted to make sure I would not be alone for the first few days. The Dr. released me for work at my six week hysterversary. You may want to check into temporary disability through your state unemployment agency. I'm sorry you have little hands on support, but for moral support you have come to the right place. Sorry I don't have a lot of useful information for you. My Mom lives in Winter Haven... maybe I could send her over

Best wishes and 's

Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2002, 06:46 PM
Latex Allergy

Hi there,
I have tons of allergies and I have avoided surgeries for more than ten years out of fear.
That fear put me into an emergency situation and in the hospital for two weeks for pancreatities from gallstones.

Through it all I learned my fear was very unfounded. The entire hospital staff was extremely good and went out of their way to accomodate my allergies. I say accomodate because even the cleaning lady changed how she did things.
They all were so sweet about it that by the time I had to go to the operating room, I knew, without a doubt that my allergies (to all kinds of chemicals and medications to name a few) would not be a problem.

My only regret is my fear kept me from getting proper medical care sooner. I would stop by your gynecologist office (while you still have the welts) and show them to the nursing staff (if you don't have your doctor's appt. yet) and let them see how it affects you so they can note your file.

Best wishes and please don't let the allergies hold you back. I'm sure we'll both being feeling much better after all this.

TAH/BSO April 15, 2002
Unread 03-31-2002, 07:17 PM
New Here

I had a TAH/BSO for very large cyst on March 8th...have been widowed for about a year..no children, no parents or siblings alive/near by. I was in the hospital for 3 days. Please work with the discharge planners and nurses at the hospital. They will not release you until you are able to fend for yourself, which includes going to the bathroom,taking a shower, feeding yourself and doing all the personal stuff we all need to do. You will be surprised at the things you can do, and please remember you can leave the things undone, that aren't important.
Are there neighbors or folks you can call on to get your groceries picked up? Once I told folks at work about my upcoming surgery ( I had about three days notice because of the size /image of the cyst), there were offers of "what can we do to help"? I took people at their word, and found out very quickly who really wanted to be supportive. People took turns calling, and one of my work-friends picked me up and took me home. She called at the hospital the day I was to be released, and I gave her a list of things I wanted from the grocery store. Another work person stayed until about 11PM the first night, to make sure I could get around ok. Please have faith in human kindness. People want to help and will be there for you. Most of all, there are those of us here who have been through it, and want to support you.
As far as your allergy, all hospitals are very careful about notifying everyone about your allergies. I had a red band on my wrist, aside from my name tag, that reminded the staff not to give me epinephrine (irregular heartbeat)..

Take care, we are here for you!

Luckysusan

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register