2 Weeks and Can't Sleep | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 Weeks and Can't Sleep 2 Weeks and Can't Sleep

Unread 04-01-2002, 12:57 AM
2 Weeks and Can't Sleep

I didn't think I was going to get this nervous. I haven't been able to sleep at night at all. In the morning I finally start getting exhausted and fall asleep.

This waiting is miserable. How do you keep busy and not worry about this for the weeks ahead?

Thanks, Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 02:05 AM
Clich'es are clich'es for a reason! They have some thruth to them...

Waiting is indeed the worst part! Coming here to share with your Sisters is a great start to resolving these feelings of anguish and fear. You are not alone.

Do you knit, garden, sew, skydive ? What hobbies do you have to distract you from the next two weeks? I feel lucky that I only had a week to wait for my hyst. I can relate with waiting anxiety, though. I am waiting for crucial lab results and it looks like 3 weeks for the test results to come back. helps me.

Do things that you are going to have to take a break from. And I don't just mean the laundry and spring cleaning!! Take long walks and take hot bubble baths when you are nervous.

As far as sleeping, have you told your dr about this problem? Something to tide you over until you are able to sleep on your own won't hurt you right now, it sounds like.

All my best to you,
Jenny
Unread 04-01-2002, 07:55 AM
2 Weeks and Can't Sleep

I am also one of those who could not sleep. I finally talked to the DR about it at pre-op. She gave me something to help me sleep. It was such a relief. I wished I had asked sooner.

The DR needs to approve any and all meds, prescribed or over the counter, herbal or otherwise. It is very important not to take anything without approval especially in the two weeks before your surgery.

My DR did not want me to be exhausted going into the surgery. I'm sure yours doesn't want you exhausted, either. So, check with him/her and get help so you can get some sleep and feel better

Also, if you are needing something for the nervousness the day of your surgery, they can put something in your I.V. to calm you. Ask about that , too.

Best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 08:33 AM
2 Weeks and Can't Sleep

Nights that I couldn't fall asleep it was usually because my mind wouldn't quit. I'd be thinking of things I wanted to get done, or needed to buy, etc. One thing that I didn't do was stay in bed and wonder when I was going to fall asleep. I found that if I got up and wrote down the things I was thinking of I could usually fall asleep when I went back to bed. Or I'd check this site and read for a while. Or do laundry or some other housework that wouldn't disturb anyone else in the family. Read a book or watch tv, sometimes I could fall asleep on the couch when I couldn't in bed. Try to get more physical activity during the day, walking, etc.
Unread 04-01-2002, 08:38 AM
2 Weeks and nervous also!!

I'm scheduled for 4/12 so believe me when I say the nerves are definately kicking in I have not been sleeping well either. I wake up almost every hour. I have been going in to work at 6:00 every morning hoping to help take my mind off of the surgery. Some times it works. Keeping busy is definately a plus. I try to do as much as possible to occupy my mind with everything but the approaching hour. Last week was especially hard to concentrate as I had my final DR appointment, Pre-admission testing, and I was also donating my own blood for the surgery. Hopefully the next two weeks will be much calmer and I can concentrate on work. Good luck to you and I can't wait to meet you back here with both of us in our crowns!!!

Donna
Unread 04-01-2002, 08:49 AM
2 Weeks and Can't Sleep

I can relate to your anxiety and nervous feelings. I have know about my surgery for over a month now and have been thru all the feelings there are.. crazy, nervous. needless to say I do not have any fingernails left. lol.. I also have been having a rough time sleeping. I know its the anxiety.. well I have 3 days before I go to the castle. pre-op in 2 days.. I am so ready but yet scared too.. just hang in there and keep coming to this site. it has helped me pass the time. good luck with your upcoming surgery. and please everyone keep me in your prayers. I'm scared to death.... here is a great big to you
Unread 04-01-2002, 03:16 PM
2 Weeks and Can't Sleep

My hyst was scheduled 6 weeks out, and I couldn't sleep for the first 3...

Dr. recommended Tylenol PM or Simply Sleep (Tylenol PM without the pain reliever), but only a 1/2 dose.

I still do not sleep through the night, but don't wake up as often, or don't have any issues falling back to sleep.

I've got 1 week left and feel much better with this little help.

Good luck!
Karen
Unread 04-01-2002, 03:34 PM
2 Weeks and Can't Sleep

Hi. Not being able to sleep is pretty normal I think. I could'nt sleep either. As long as I was busy I was ok but just as soon as I went to bed , my mind went crazy. I agree with what other sisters have said. I found that I would get up , write things down , check this site at all hours,etc. It helped. My surgery was on a Monday am and on the weekend before , I spent it with my family, going out to eat and to a movie , shopping , etc. I didn't worry about cleaning the house , preparing meals ahead , because I just didn't feel like it. We survived and are doing great. I am 2 weeks post op and can tell you that the waiting is really the worse part. Just try to do things you enjoy, call friends, anything to keep your mind off of the surgery and it will help.
Best wishes to all the LIW . You will make it !!!!
Terri ( TVH/BSO)
Unread 04-01-2002, 03:37 PM
2 Weeks and Can't Sleep

I know the feeling. I've had other surgeries before, but this one seemed to take forever to get here. I have been working on "meditation" it does help me to relax (I am spiritual and picture a White Light entering my toes and slowly working it's way through my system. I go through each step in my mind as it enters my ankles, my feet relax, as it enters my knees, my lower legs relax, etc.) I had so many invasive tests before the surgery that early on I decided that once I had decided to take the test, I would deal with them by not thinking about it until it was over. This is where the visualization and meditation really helped. I am a very private person and some of the urinary tract tests are beyond belief. I also decided that I would allow myself to disect the entire experience only after it was over and that helped me alot. Usually after it was over, I was not nearly as emotional and upset as beforehand.

I did the same with the surgery. I told myself that if I had had the surgery back in Oct when I first realized the extent of my problems, it would be behind me now. I don't know about anyone else, but the pain and upset before the surgery was much worse than the surgery and post op for me.
Unread 04-01-2002, 07:15 PM
2 Weeks and Can't Sleep

I think we have the same castle date 4-15 "tax day". Sorry to hear about your sleep problem. What I am trying to do is plan out post op and enjoy every minute with family and friends before hand. Tomorrow I am calling a massage therapist and will try to treat myself to an hour long massage. Also bought an ameythyst white gold ring for my "hyster" present. That is the first piece of jewelry I have had in 11 years.

:Just remember we all deserve a little extra pampering right now.

Best of luck .

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register