Lupron treatment for endemetriousis | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron treatment for endemetriousis Lupron treatment for endemetriousis

Unread 04-01-2002, 11:50 AM
Lupron treatment for endemetriousis

I would like to know what your opinion is on my situation. I have had painful cramps and very heavy periods for years. Last August during a routine physical examiniation I was found to be severely anemic. The Dr. put me on Iron pills for 6 months and took another blood test, the test came back and showed I was still anemic. In talking to the Dr. I told him that I had very heavy, painful periods and sometimes I would have more than one period a month. He referred me to a Woman OGYN. She performed a hsyterscopy and a laproscopy and found that I had endemetriousis on my right side. She suggested that I go on Lupron for 6 months to see if that would shrink my uterus and also help my endemetriousis. I had my first shot last Friday (3/29) and it totally wiped me out! I was so tired and dizzy afterwards that all I could do was go home and lay down. I was very depressed because I could not imagine having to go through six months of feeling this way. On Saturday and Sunday, I started having severe hot flashes (I had them before, but nothing like this) Today, I started spotting. I have been living in total hell for the last year and I don't know if I can take this any longer. The Dr. who is treating me doesn't believe that she should do a hysterectomy if she can treat it with medicine, but there is no guaruantee that this is going to work. I talked with my husband and he told me to get a second opinion. Right now my feeling is just take the darn thing out. I feel like I have no life, I am tired all of the time, I am crying one minute and grouchy the next. I don't ever feel like going anywhere or doing anything. I am not going to have anymore children, I am 46 for God's sake, I just want to get on with my life without all of this medicine and shots and exams - I am totally sick of it. I have an appointment to talk to my medical Dr. and I am going to tell him that I just want them to take my uterus out. Has anyone felt like this? Thanks for your support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 12:16 PM
Endo/Lupron

Just wanted to tell you that I am suffering along with endometriosis and been through the routine.....excessive birth controls pills (28 days on/2 off) and then 6 months of Lupron shots. It was all a bandaid for me. It bought me some time and delayed the inevitable. I waited so long, my ob-gyn quit practice, had to find a new dr (who I didn't like but recommended a TAH/BSO) and then, had to find a second dr. I am now set for surgery on 4/23 and can't wait unti the day is here!

The Lupron seemed to settle down the endo discomfort for about 9 months. In other words, I was still feeling unusual sharp ovary pains, etc. but they were a bit more tolerable during those months. Then, the pain started to progress each month and here I am, gaining weight because I don't want to move, exhausted all the time, lower back pain that makes me hold my breath, etc., etc.

If you aren't interested in having children, I'd find a physician who's willing to go for it. Whether its now, later this year, or next year, it is almost a guarantee that surgery will be recommended. The endo never disappears; it just simmers on the Lupron. It'll be back to a boil in a matter of months.!

Good luck to you.
Unread 04-01-2002, 02:49 PM

I know EXACTY what you are going through....I do not have endo, but do have adeno...I tried the b/c and then last June I decided to try the lupron...it did help with the pain and did stop my periods. I did stick with it for the full 6 months despite the horrible side effects (aweful hotflashes, night sweats, and unbearable mood swings)...2 months after I was done with my 6th shot, the symptoms started coming back...now 4 months after, the pelvic pain, heavy periods, clotting, back pain, painful intercourse, ect...are all back full force....I have heard that lupron can bide some time, but it was not long enough for me! I now have an appt with my GYN Tomorrow and am praying he will ok a hysterectomy...I cannot go back on the lupron! Everyone is different, but it did not work for me! Good luck and I suggest talking to your doctor and finding one that will listen!
Good luck, keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 05:09 PM

I'll tell you my Lupron story...

It was horrible for me and I only made it through 4 months of it. I had the hotflashes, dizziness, faintness, facial hair growth, hair loss, heart palpitations and one time my heart raced for 1 1/2 hours and I ended up in the ER...all because of Lupron. I went on Premarin(estrogen) to help the side effects, which it did. But as soon as I did that, the pain came back, just not a severe. Once I went off Lupron, the real pain was back within a month. So, lupron was not worth it for me. My doctor and I decided that I need the hysterectomy, which I will have in 2 months. We also decided that I would keep my ovaries because I did so horribly on Lupron. He doesn't know if it was menopause that I reacted badly too or the chemicals in Lupron. At the age of 30, we don't think I am ready for surgical menopause. I told him that I am really coincerned about this though, because the sharp,stabbing, double-me-over pains I get are where my ovaries are. He said that I can always get them removed laparscopically later on if I need to. He thinks that my pain will be gone with just removing my uterus. I am trusting him because I don't want to have my ovaries removed yet and later on if I decide to, then having a laparoscopy isn't that big of a deal for me.

Good luck. I know there are doctors out there that would do the hysterectomy if you want it. Maybe you should try another doctor
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:19 PM

Hi BHarrietthomas:

Like you, I'm 46 and debated trying Lupron for severe endo. Bottom line is, by the time they found out I had endo (last June during a lap myomectomy to remove fibroids ... trying to keep my uterus then) it was so bad that my gyn said he didn't really think it would be worth it for me to try Lupron. Lupron is not a cure, but it can help ladies buy some time, particularly if they still want to get pregnant. Some ladies have good luck on Lupron, others report very bad experiences. There's just no way to know which experience you will have.

I tried Aygestin for several months and it did stop my periods. Only thing was, the pain got so bad I had to stop the Aygestin and have a period. It was the worst ever. I had my TAH/BSO last November and I'm doing great now.

I know there is pressure for the docs to try medical management first, do surgery as more of a last resort. Maybe a second opinion would be helpful right now. Hang in there. I know it is tough. We're be here for you, any way we can help.

Beth
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Oh Lupron.........

Hi there! I am on Lupron for 2 months, tvh 4/23. Started Lupron Feb 15th and am so glad I do not have to do it any longer. Yes, it can help with the pain but the side effects are unreal. I thought I would never make it through, but I have so far. I was really complaining to my doc about the insomnia and hot flashes and she asked me (practically begged) to stay on the Lupron for the 2 months. I agreed as I knew I really didn't have an option as far as pain relief went. Try to hang in there and I agree.. a second opinion would not hurt. Best Wishes!
Unread 04-01-2002, 09:36 PM
lupron for endometriosis

Hello,

My name is Cindy, and I, too , was on Lupron for 6 months to shrink endometriosis lesions. I had/have endo on my bladder, ovaries, uterus, and ligaments. I had taken fertility drugs for a while, after having laser surgery to eliminate as much endo as possible. That didn't work, so the doc put me on Lupron to shrink some of the endo and give me some relief from the horrible pain I was in. I had severe hot flashes, felt very tired a lot, but stuck with it, because the pain was gone and to me that was heaven. Fast forward about 5 years. We have adopted 4 kids, and I ignored going to the ob/gyn for the past 4 years because I too was so sick of being poked, prodded, put on meds, shots, etc. Now I am scheduled for a hysterectomy. I have it on the 10th of april, and I can only tell you that I will be so happy to wake up and have the pain and worry gone. I am very afraid, but I can't wait to start living life again. I have gotten to the point that I just stay home and have no interest in much of anything anymore, the endo is back with a vengeance, and I have two fibroids on my uterus, now abnormal cells on my cervix. I can't take it anymore. I don't have any interest in having any more children, so my doc and I decided now was the time. I hope this has helped just a little, if you have any questions, email me directly at cpetrofes@yahoo.com
I was undecided about having the surgery, wondering if i was being selfish having such a major surgery with 4 little ones, and putting myself at risk during surgery, etc. but my doc said to think of it this way: Would you rather live with debilitating pain that kept you from being the mom , wife and person you are, or go ahead with it and be a better mother, wife , and all-around happier person? That pretty much settled it for me, I have become a shell of the person I once was. The Lupron did help for a while, but it didn't cure anything, it just put off the inevitable.
I am 39 years old and I am ready to start a brand new active life.
Please pray for me!!!!
I will pray for you...
Cindy
Pre-op TAH
Unread 04-01-2002, 11:39 PM

Hi,
Like so many of you my Lupron experience was a NIGTHMARE! I was treated for depression, gained 50 pounds, had contusions from the injections, hot flashes, etc. etc. etc. and still ended up with a hysterectomy
BUT
I did manage to get pregnant which wouldn't have happened if I hadn't gone through all of that
SO...
If you're not interested in getting pregnant, you may want to talk to your doc about a more permanent solution. I'm one year out and feel great! No periods lasting for days on end, no abdominal pain, no worries.
Take care of yourself.
Noel
Unread 04-02-2002, 11:19 AM

I would definitely get a second opinion, I for one would not go on the Lupron, go on the net and read the side affects it has. My doctor even told me he would not do that to me but it was up to me.

It is your body you live with it you have choices! This is a free country. Be aggressive! And you and your family shouldn't have to suffer!
Unread 07-11-2002, 01:11 PM
Hi

Hi I am also taking the Lupron injections and taking Aygestin also. I havent had very bad side affects and the first injection did nothing to me, I was told that it takes so many weeks for the first injection to get into your system to cause side affects, but that is just what my doctor told me. I have had 3 so far and i am having my 4th next week, i am taking 6 of them so i only have 3 more to go. Then I will see if a hyster is in my future, the injections have helped some with my pain but it has made me very irritable and moody and the hotflashes and night sweats are bad also. My gyn put me on prozac to help with my mood swings and such , it was helping at first but now my symptoms are returning , the mood swings had left but now they are back and I think he will have to up my dosage,lol Have you experienced any headaches with your injections? if so let me know, i have been having real bad miagrains with mine. I wish you the best of luck with your treatment . Take care and God Bless you.BIG 's to you!!!
Misty

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register