Pre-Op Today - Nurse provided good info | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Today - Nurse provided good info Pre-Op Today - Nurse provided good info

Unread 04-01-2002, 01:05 PM
Pre-Op Today - Nurse provided good info

Hello - had my pre-op today. I thought I was handling this all fairly well. During the exam I got a little teary eyed, but the nurse was terrific. I went in with the Pre-Op questions from this site, along with the suggestion from a fellow sister about post op pain meds. The nurse thought it was a good idea and attached a copy of the email to my annethesogist report. He will talk to me further prior to the surgery. Only 14 days to go - I'm confident from reading all the posts that waiting has to be the worst part of this whole ordeal. The nurse did give me practice guidelines for a pre-op patient -

DEEP BREATHING TECHNIQUES
1. Practice in the same position you would be assuming following surgery; semi-sitting, back and shoulders well supported with pillows.
2. Take a deep breath in through your nose, letting abdomen rise as lungs fill with air.
3. Hold this breath for a count of 5.
4. Exhale and let out all the air through your mouth.
5. Repeat 15 times with a short rest after each group of 5.
6. Practice twice a day before surgery and for 5 minutes every 2 hours after surgery when awake.

COUGHING
1. Lace your fingers together and place hands over the incisional area (abdomen) to act as a splint when coughing.
2. Begin breathing exercise as described above; however on the 5th breath rather than exhaling, force out a cough from gut. Do not just clear your throat. It may cause some discomfort but will not harm the incision.

LEG EXERCISES
1. Lie on your back to perform these exercises to improve circulation.
2. Bend the knee, raise the foot, hold it, and then extend the leg back to its normal position. This tightens the calf muscle. do this 5 times then begin on the other.
3. Rotate your ankles by drawing circles with your feet, clockwise, then counterclockwise.

TURNING SIDE TO SIDE
1. Bend both kness up towards the chest. Move as a unit (like a log) with shoulders and hips together. Begin to roll grasping onto the side rail to help you.
2. Pillows can be placed between your legs before you start, and/or behind your back for comfort.

Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 04:05 PM
WOW

Your pre-op Nurse deserves an award. That was just great. I hope this post is seen by many to share in all the good advice.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share it with everyone.
Good luck to you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register