just a question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just a question just a question

Unread 04-01-2002, 02:22 PM
just a question

Hi everyone... I have a question. It may sound stupid but I want to know anyway. I am scheduled for surgery in a couple of weeks. I am a stomach sleeper or a side sleeper. After my TAH/BSO, how long will it be before I will be able to sleep on my stomach and will I be able to sleep on my side right off the bat? I hate sleeping on my back, in fact, it makes my back hurt. If anyone has any answers please let me know... Thanks, Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 02:57 PM
just a question

Hi Tammy

I am also a tummy sleeper. This is something that is different with each person and each surgery. I have had 6 abdominal surgeries and getting back on my tummy was fast for some and not so fast for others. I will tell ya that after my TAH I was on my side that night in the hospital bed and on my tummy the night I got home. I had a laperoscopy 3 days ago and am still not able to sleep on my tummy yet in fact I spent the first night home in a recliner. Odd isnt it?? A much less evasive surgery but much more sore on the tummy this time. I will keep my fingers crossed that you will be back on your tummy the night ya come home! Good Luck and Hugs!
Unread 04-01-2002, 03:02 PM
just a question

Hi Tammy,

I am also a side sleeper. I was able to be on my side as soon as I got to my hospital room. We used pillows and blankets to support my back and a small pillow (or folded towel) to support my stomach as I laid on my side. Good luck!!

JulieF
TAH/BSO 02/25/02
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 03:08 PM
No Question is a stupid Question!

Hello Tammy,

I am a tummy sleeper too! I usually can't sleep on my back at all! I found that I can after I had surgery. I usually will TRY to roll to my tummy during the night and OUCH! I found it GREAT to use a pillow at the bends of my legs while on my back, this gave me a lot of support. Also, my hips got VERY sore laying on them all the time on my side. I am skinny minnie and don't have much meat on my thighs

Also, since I was a tummy sleeper, right after surgery, I was "jumping" in my sleep and that hurt like H*LL!~

Try whatever it takes use lots of pillows!

((((Cheryl))))
Unread 04-01-2002, 03:36 PM
just a question

Hi Tammy,
I also used a pillow under my legs the first week or so after my surgery. It seemed to put less strain on my lower back. Sometimes I would change positions by getting up at night and sitting (and sleeping) in a recliner. For the first week or so, in an effort to be as relaxed as possible, I always took a pain pill at bedtime. Good luck with your surgery. Keep a positive attitude.

Best wishes,
Unread 04-01-2002, 04:42 PM
just a question

Hi Tammy,

I slept on my sides immediately w/o any pillow support. Did feel better to keep knees bent some to easy tummy pressure. Best of luck. Jan
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:51 PM
Thank you

Hi everyone. I am glad to know there are so other fellow side and stomach sleepers out there. I am glad to know that even though I may not be able to sleep on my tummy for a while, I can at least on my side. That's a relief. I just can't stand sleeping on my back, even with my legs bent a little. YUCK!!!
Best wishes to all, Tammy

I haven't quite figured out how to make my smilies work, can someone tell me and show me how that works. I've tried and it doesn't work.
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:53 PM
My smilies worked.

I'm so excited. After trying several times, my smilies worked. I just wanted everyone to know. I'm for joy.

Best wishes, Tammy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register