Atypical cells | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Atypical cells Atypical cells

Unread 04-01-2002, 05:03 PM
Atypical cells

Today I had my follow-up appointment with my doctor after my D&C nearly 2 weeks ago & he advised me that in addition to the fibroids (which he says are the least of my worries) I have dysplasia with atypical cells & he is recommending a hysterectomy, inlcuding removal of the uterus & the cervix (sorry, I don't know the abbreviation for that), but he plans to try to leave at least one ovary.
I had so hoped for good news today, possibly the chance to try to put this off a bit, but he says I have a 30%-40% of it turning into cancer!! This he says is what I need to worry about (although as he was leaving the office he commented that it will need to be an abdominal hysterectomy because of the size of my uterus, that being enlarged to the point of a 4 month pregnancy, due to the the fibroids).
Even if little old, single gal me had gotten to the point of realizing I'll never have the children I dreamed of, I now worry about this cancer thing, & the cervix being removed too, especially as to how that will affect sex, my bladder (I have to pee often now already!), etc., as well as how long I will have to be off work given that it will be an abdominal hysterectomy (I swear I just can't stand to sit around any longer than 2 or 3 weeks tops!!), & how soon I need to have this done, as I need to make arrangements for work, required training, care, etc.
I'm just numb right now! Any advice or comments would be appreciated! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 11:10 PM
Atypical cells

Jeandre 's!!!! First I would like to Welcome you to HYSTERSISTERS!!!! You have come to the right place! I know that a dx of cancer can be very scary! The thought of a hysterectomy can be just as scary as the cancer. Second I would like to say that you are your own best avocate!!! Gather all of the information you can about your condition, treatment options, and outcomes of all of the treatment options. Make a point to go over them with your . Please remember that you have the right to be given information in terms that you can understand and have all of your questons answered. Make a list of questions and take them to your dr. apt. or give him/her a call and ask to go over them. It also helps if you take someone with you to your doctor visits as they will sometimes hear stuff that you don't. Two sets of ears are always better than one set. Knoledge is POWER!!!With all of this remember to make a desicion that you are comfortable with. This is YOUR body and you are the only one that has to live in it. I would also like to tell you about another part of the message boards called cancer concerns. The ladies there are wonderful and know what it is like to have a DX of cancer or precancerous cells.

Now as far as surgery goes I had a TVH so it is a little diffrent but the general rule of thumb is 6-8 weeks of recovery. Driving is "NORMALY" alowed between 2-3 weeks. Also for TAH "GENERALY" NO BATHS for at least 6 weeks. I had a prolapus of the uterus and would make mad dashes to the bathroom at the drop of a hat. From MY own PERSONAL experance with surgery I no longer have to do that. I also had my cervix removed and have not noticed a diffrence in sexual pleasure. This is a topic that concerns us all!!! I have to say that now I actualy enjoy that activity!!! I have found no need for lubracant. However sometimes with overie removiel there is a need for lubracant. This is another good question to ask your doctor. As far as returning to work it again is the "TYPICAL" 6-8 weeks. So keep that pen and paper handy, it seems to me that you already have some good questions to pose to your dr. Keep a list and DON'T FORGET to take it with you. There is some helpfull information on the home page of hystersisters. Located at the bottem of that page are some pull down menus for "LIW" Lady's In Waiting. There you will find lists of what family and friends can do to help you with recovery, some do's and DON'TS, Thinks to pack and some wonderful story's. Take some time and go over thoes. We also have a chat room where you can talk live with other sisters who are both pre-op and post-op. I think of chat as a place to get questions answered fears relievd and a GREAT PLACE to find laughs and the sholder to cry on. Please feel free to ask any more questions you might have. I hope I have been able to shed some light on the questions you asked. Again remeber to check out the pull down menues and CANCER CONCERNS. Sending healthy thoughs and Warm best wishes to you!!!!!

Angela/ AngRed1
Chat AKA: Fleyitch71
Unread 04-01-2002, 11:30 PM
Atypical cells

Hi,
Welcome to HysterSisters, I've gotten so much support here and hope you visit often {}
I had atypical cells on my cervix several years ago (pre-cancerous), had them lasered off, but they started to come back so my doc took my cervix out with the rest of it last year. I feel fine--I don't notice not having a cervix, surprisingly enough.
I also had plenty of bladder problems (couldn't spend more than 15 minutes on the treadmill at the gym without having to get off to pee), and my doc tightened that all up. It's less than perfect but much better than it was.
Good luck to you, I know how scary and overwelming and shocking it all can seem. Ask lots of questions and be gentle with yourself.
Noel

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register