What to do about a family of oikers????? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do about a family of oikers????? What to do about a family of oikers?????

Unread 04-01-2002, 05:14 PM
What to do about a family of oikers?????

I have my surgery coming up in 15 days. That's 360 hours. That's 21,600 minutes and roughly 1, 296,000 seconds.......Wow...just think of all the seconds that went by while I was trying to figure that out......:time2:........Anywho, a fellow sister who quite recently had surgery, brought to my mind a new subject for me to worry about. Swine!!!!!!!! I live with them. I am the caretaker of the swine and don't get me wrong, I love my swine but they really are piggies....and I am not. In fact, I spend a portion of every day of my life closing the drawers that they leave open, picking up after all of them and vociferously complaining the whole time..............but do my little piggies listen to me or do what I ask? No they do not. I know they don't because i continuously compensate for their slovenly ways but I can tell you that it is going to be a HUGE problem when I get home from the castle if I come home to a messy or dirty house. My husband even had the gall to say that he's sure he'll be able to learn to change the sheets every couple of weeks or so as long as I help him or give instructions while he does it...............hmmmmmmmmmm
THE SHEETS WILL BE CHANGED EVERY OYHER DAY OR I SWEAR ON MY LEFT TOE......:explode:

DD is even worse. She is even on the verge of digustapating!!!!!! I know that I am writing this with a bit of humor but I will honestly be very depressed and hurt and probably over do it if they do not pitch in. Do any of you have any good ideas about ways to handle this particular enigma??????????????? I would appreciate anything.....I can see that this is going to be a big prob if I know my little piggies

julie

p.s. I have thought about writing a letter to each of them and leaving it on their pillow the morning I go in expressing just how important it is to me.......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 05:23 PM
Hi Julie

Well your little and big piggies will just have to learn to do what you want. You will not over do or the pillow will be at your door. The letter on their pillows is a great idea. Explain how important the surgery is to you and how you can not recover the way you should if they don't do their part. No pulling their weight will only hurt you and they will be with out you even more. My personal advice get some blinders like the derby horses wear and try those God Bless.

Unread 04-01-2002, 05:40 PM

Well, I have an idea that I am thinking of implemeting myself.

Why not hire a maid service to come in once a week for just the first 6 weeks to help? This would relieve the stress of worrying about the house and what a pleasure to have someone taking care of the cleaning that is a pro!

There is only my husband and I at home now, but I know that if I do not have someone come in, I will end up thinking, just a little dusting, sweeping, etc., won't hurt. So why tempt myself or spend time angry with hubby who works all day.

Just a thought or if expenses are just too much, perhaps you could enlist the help of a best friend or relative that you could do a favor for in the future?

Hopefully, things will go well and your family will understand the importance of this to you. But, still I'd get a service, lol.

Marci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 06:14 PM

Hi Julie

Lets face it, no matter how hard family or others try to take care of us, cook, clean, and everything else that goes along with the title of mom/wife they do not ever come close to how we would do it. Julie, I know it will be hard but just let them help you as good as they can and you rest after surgery like you should be. I too have been guilty many times after surgery of over doing it because things were not being done the way I would do it. I know its hard to sit and watch your house not being taking care of like you think it should but you only have one chance to recover and you owe it to yourself to do that. Marci's idea of a maid service was a good one for basic cleaning needs but lets face it if you are as bad as me even a pro wouldnt do it "your way" right? If your anything like me thats right. If I were you I would make a list of what needs to be done and how often. I am sure your family will have a different attitude about helping out after your surgery. No, it will not be perfect but it will at least be done. Hope everything works out well...let us know!
Unread 04-01-2002, 11:30 PM

Ok Ok I also have OINKERS!!!!! I went total MAD trying to prepair for surgery and only drove myslef crazy. I have to agree with renee. Things my not get done the way you would do them but hey at least they are getting done. I have a few suggestions for you.
#1 purchase yourself a crown at the wonderful hystersisters store. And WEAR it!!! This will help your oinkers REMEMBER that you HAVE to rest!!!

#2 on the home page at the bottem there are some pull down menus. Under the one titled "LIW" lady's in waitng there is a printable page for what family and friends can do to help you recover. There is alos a list of DO'S and DON'TS. I would print them out and put them on the pillows along with your notes to them.

#3 Take your DH to your next office visit. This will give him the chance to ask questions that may be concerning him. And it will give him the chance to hear from the doctor as to what he will need to over see while you are recovering.

#4 here I also agree with Renee. Make a list of things that need to be done and how often they need to be done. Keep one and post one on the frideg or where everyone in the house can see it. Remember you have one MAJOR job to do and that is to RECOVER!! It does not take much to set yourself back!!!

#5 This one is what I did and it seemed to help... I locked myself in my room and used the back door to go for my walks so I did not see what a state my house was in. So if you don't have a back door let dh know that life can be easer if you can get out and not see a horriable mess. My OINKERS were pretty good about keeping a CLEAN path TO the front door so that if I did venture that way I was not stopping to clean.

And finaly
#6 remember to give thoes OINKERS some credit!!! It is hard as women for us to think that everything will fall apart at the seams the minute we are not able to go about our daily rutine. How ever I imagin that they will impress you. Not everything will be the way you would have done it but it will/did get done. Who cares if DH adds 3 TBS TO THE SPAGATTIE SAUCE to make it tast better!!! Your family does care about you and they DO want you to heal properly. Just think of it as a nice little vacation where you get to sit, be incharge and give orders and not lift a finger. So grab that crown, prop your feet up and remember WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YOU WHEN YOU NEED TO CRY OR HAVE GOOD NEWS TO SHARE!!!!

Angela/ AngRed1
CHAT AKA: Fleyitch71
Unread 04-02-2002, 01:31 AM

Hey Juli-

I know exactly how you feel! I am a 25 yo mother of 4 (8 yo, 5yo and twin 4 yo) and are majorly stressing over my TAH/BSO scheduled for the 22nd! Let alone the house, I am worried about the kids and who will take care of them "properly"!!

All I can say sweetie is that we should take before and after pics of our houses, and see which one burns down first!! HAHA just kidding. I know that all will be fine for you, and that you family will pull through for you and you will be pleasantly suprised. We just have to keep telling ourselves that 100 years from now, no one will remember whether or not your house was clean; only the love and lives you touched!! You have so much to stress about let alone worrying about housework; just love your "little piggies" and let bygones be bygones!

Hope all goes well for you - Carey

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register