Op Day Questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Op Day Questions Op Day Questions

Unread 04-01-2002, 07:03 PM
Op Day Questions

Hi, I just found out today that my surgery will be in about a month. (Still no date, my doctor was really booked up right now. Must be something in the water around here.)

Anyway, I have a couple of silly questions which just dawned on me as I was watching "Maternity Ward" on the Discovery Channel.

Number one: Should I shave my legs the day I go for surgery? (I told you these were silly questions.)

Number two: Will I be allowed to wear make-up to the operating room? (I wouldn't want to scare the surgical staff to death with my "no make-up" face!)

I'm sure I'll have other silly questions as time goes by. Thanks for putting up with them.

:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 07:12 PM
Op Day Questions

Hi, my surgery was a week ago today. I did shave my legs that morning... I wasn't sure how long it would be until I could shave them again (it was 3 days later). I was also told that I could not wear any make-up or nail polish into surgery. At that point I really didn't care what I looked like. Good luck to you...

Darla
TAH/BSO
Unread 04-01-2002, 07:23 PM
Op Day Questions

Hi Shashi!

I shaved my legs too the morning of surgery. It was several days before I had enough energy to shower, shampoo AND shave. Could only get the first two s's done the first couple of days.

They usually do not allow any make-up or nail polish on the patient in the OR and should tell you at your pre-op appointment. No nail polish so that they can put the pulse ox on your fingertip to measure the oxygen in your bloodstream. The polish prevents it from reading. No make-up because they look at your skin & make-up keeps them from seeing your real color. Also, if they put something on your eyes, the eye make-up would get smeared and could get in your eyes.

No questions are silly. If you have more...keep 'em coming!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-01-2002, 07:54 PM
Op Day Questions

I am 4 days post op. The hospital I went to allowed make-up as long as it wasn't excessive. I wore make up and shaved my legs that morning. I was able to keep my acrylic nails and have polish on them. I had on a light color polish and they didn't have a problem reading the oxygen level through it. Hospitals have different rules on these things so check with yours. The hospital I went to did not allow you to bring blow dryers or any electrical appliances.

Cyndi
TAH
Unread 04-02-2002, 04:54 AM
Op Day Questions

Whenever someone asks about makeup in surgery I get a vision in my head: If you have a general they tape your eyes shut and you have a breathing tube. So you go to recovery with your lipstick and mascara smeared, and you now look like Bozo the Clown or the Bride of Frankenstein. Some nurses may wash your face for you, on the other hand, you could be their amusement while you are in recovery, they call people over to look at you. Then when you get to your room, DH or whoever is waiting for you gets to laugh!

But seriously, every hospital has different procedures. My preop instructions were written out and crystal clear: "Do not wear make-up, nail polish or jewelry the day of surgery. You will also be asked to remove dentures, partial plates, or other prosthesis before surgery." They did tell me I could keep my wedding ring on, they would tape it during surgery. Every room in my hospital has a large wall clock right under the TV so I didn't have to worry about a watch.

Just my own personal opinion: I went to the hospital for surgery, looking good to impress staff and visitors for the short amount of time I was going to be there was not a high priority to me. I preferred to be as "natural" as possible, because even with all the new high tech equipment I believe if there is a chance they can spot a potential problem by being able to observe my nail beds or the color of my face, etc and not waiting for the machine to tell them there is a problem than I wanted to give them that possible early warning time.

There is plenty of time after coming home for nail polish and make up.

Shaving legs: I did it the day before. I read a caution here about nicks being possible infection sites.
Unread 04-02-2002, 05:32 AM
Op Day Questions

I'm shaving my legs before tvh. As far as make-up goes.. nah! I won't care what I look like, the drugs will keep me happy LOL
Unread 04-02-2002, 06:41 AM
Op Day Questions

The night before I shaved my legs, washed & condtioned my hair.
I was not allowed polish or make-up. You really won't care either. I did take some for when I was feeling better. But for me the 1st 2 days after, all I did was sleep.
My best to you all
Sharon
TIP: If you have long hair, you might want to have it braided. It will get very tangled laying in the bed. Bring a pillow from home too!! Their pillows are better for putting over your tummy.
Unread 04-02-2002, 06:49 AM
Op Day Questions

Hi, Shashi,

I live near you! Mulberry. Will have my surgery on the 15th. Loved your questions. Had been wondering if I should get my nails done......... Good luck!

Debbie

Unread 04-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Hi Debbie

Hi Debbie,

There seems to be quite a few of us HysterSisters from central Florida. Makes you wonder if there really is something in the water! (Or maybe it's the orange blossoms this time of year.)

Will you be attending the get-together at Barnes and Nobles Sunday? If so, I'll see you then.

Shashi
Unread 04-02-2002, 03:09 PM
Makeup

I have the same question as you....can you wear makeup?

Kathy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register