Op Day Questions - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Op Day Questions Op Day Questions

Unread 04-02-2002, 04:21 PM
Op Day Questions

Hi, Sashi,

I would love to come next Sunday, but it starts at 12 and I'll be in church. Have to take Mom home. By the time I drive all the way up there from where I live, it would be after 2. Please tell everyone hi, and give me a report, if you don't mind.

Thanks,
Debbie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 06:44 PM
Op Day Questions

Not dumb questions at all!

Not all of us sisters are blessed with perfect complexions! Some of us have scars, birthmarks, skin conditions, etc. and we don't feel comfortable leaving the house without covering up. I have psoriasis on my face and yes I was allowed to wear make-up the morning of my surgery.

Same with acrylic nails and polish -- four surgeries with them at 2 different hospitals -- was allowed to keep them on both places.

As for shaving legs -- yes I was allowed to -- in fact I even shaved them in the hospital shower 2 days post-op.

And for the gals who wear glasses -- every surgery I've insisted on keeping my glasses until I was under anesthesia and nearby for when I came to -- and despite the warnings they'd get lost, the hospital won't be responsible for them, etc. I had no times where they got lost (although I kept an extra pair in my hospital bag each time just in case). I had one cranky old bat of a nurse after my hyst who insisted I didn't need my glasses when I was in the recovery room -- I told her I vomited and got nauseated when I couldn't see (it's true!) and started to wretch -- she got my glasses (taped to my chart) in a hurry.

Good luck!!

Leslie
Unread 04-02-2002, 07:09 PM
Op Day Questions

I wasn't allowed to wear make up which was really a source of conflict for me because I look so hideous without it. However, I finally realized that no one in the or would recognize me if they saw me on the street (with my make up on) and that made me feel better. I did shave my legs and bikini area the night before, and had a manicure with clear polish, and a pedicure with my usual color (at least my toes looked good!!) the day before.

It's been 12 days and I still haven't shaved my legs. YUK!! But I'm wearing long flannel jammie bottoms so I don't notice. But I think I better try to get to it tomorrow 'cause if I wait too much longer, I might need a weed whacker!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 07:21 PM
Re: Op Day Questions

OMG!!! OMG!!! i have to shave my legs?? i haven't done that in 20 years, ( can we say old hippie granny??)

Not making light of your questions Sashi....actually I have one of my own and it is also about shaving.....

Since I am having the TAH will they shave the OTHER place that I haven't shaved in 20 years???

ALso, how did anyone tactfully let people know that you don't especially want the world and all it's friends to come visit the night of surgery day?

One more question... should I be able to be sitting up and maybe walking to the bathroom the same day as surgery?? I REALLY don't look forward to all the time in bed... Unless of course the hormone thing hits and I just want to lie in bed and cry... which is another reason I don't want company that night.. is that horrible not to want people to come lift my spirits that night??
I am sure that if I search a bit more I may find answers to those questions...
Unread 04-03-2002, 04:08 AM
Op Day Questions

Cathy-

The shaving in the "other" place - they will do it if it needs to be done. Have read here in the past about surgery being postponed due to someone doing it themselves, nicks can cause infections. A good rule of thumb is don't do any surgical pre op you're not specifically asked to do, like bowel prep, shaving, etc., surgery can be cancelled because of it.

Don't be tactful, just ask friends to wait til the second night. My surgery was delayed by 3 1/2 hours, instead of 10:30am didn't start til 2pm. I started to become aware of my surroundings around 6-6:30, got better as the evening went on, but sent DH home around 7:30. Didn't think he needed to be there watching me sleep.

Around 5:30am the nurses wanted to get me up, I tried sitting at the edge of the bed first and started feeling sick, so they put anti nausea meds in my iv and let me lay back down. It was 11:30am before I walked, with assistance, from the bed to the door and back. Catheter stayed in til mid afternoon, and iv a little later. I also had the inflating leg things so I couldn't get up and walk unless someone unhooked them first. Until the anesthesia and painkillers wore off I didn't feel like walking any more than absolutely necessary.

Prior to surgery my DR told me I would be a couch potato for about two weeks, and she was right. It took just about two weeks for the anesthesia and morphine to get out of my system, and the incision to feel more comfortable, then I felt like doing more than sleeping, drinking water and walking to the bathroom, but not a lot more. I was allowed to drive at 2 weeks but didn't feel ready til 3 weeks.
Unread 04-03-2002, 08:14 AM
Op Day Questions

I wondered about many of those same questions prior to my surgery.

When you go for your pre-op appointment, the nurse will give you a list of instructions.

For me, they said to shower the morning of surgery and apply deodorant (guess they didn't want any stinky patients!!). They also said NO lotions, makeup, jewelry, nail polish.

They did shave that other place on me. However, they apparently did it after I was out (thankfully) -- I didn't see it until I woke up. I wasn't "bald" -- just sort of "mowed" short (if you know what I mean).

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register