Don't Go Alone | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't Go Alone Don't Go Alone

Unread 04-01-2002, 07:26 PM
Don't Go Alone

I had a bad experience in the hospital -- complications that weren't ordinary, and doctors and nurses who couldn't figure out what the problem was. I told them what the problem was and what I needed, and they didn't do it.

Plus, one day I had a bad nurse who came into my room every 30 minutes but didn't give me my pain pills. I asked for pain pills starting at 8:30 in the morning and every 30 minutes from then on. Finally I broke down and started sobbing. I had a friend in the room who went and got another nurse and I finally got my pain pills.

The hospital is one of the good ones in the area. But I think if something goes wrong, and it's not a "typical" complication, then if you are alone, you are in a very bad situation.

My advice -- DON'T be alone. If you don't have somebody to be with you every day, then post onto the boards here and see if you can "trade" with another HysterSister.

Rain2Fall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 11:06 AM
Hi Rain2Fall

I am so sorry you had a bad experience. You are absolutely right we need an advocate for us in the hospital. If you do need something you can't get up and get it yourself or go looking for a nurse.
I too was at a very good hospital, but the nurses were not all good. And sometimes they did take forever bringing something to me that I needed.
It is always helpful to have someone with us. It is difficult to be your own advocate when you are the patient too.
I hope you are resting comfortably at home now. And having a good recovery.
Take good care.
Unread 04-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Horrible Hospital Experience!!

I can certainly sympathize with your story. I just got out of the hospital after being admitted for shortness of breath, and the emergency room stay was a nightmare!!! I made the mistake of going there alone and spent most of my stay there alone, since my family were all working or were out of town at the time. What a difference it makes when you're alone. There was no one to intervene for me, no one to help me, no one to see that I was cared for properly.

I was taken in by ambulance Thursday with shortness of breath, chest pain, and extreme weakness caused by excessive bleeding because of my fibroids. I arrived at noon and was put into a room with a tiny GYN exam table with no side rails. The ER doctor examined me, and I was then hooked up to an IV, automatic blood pressure cuff, heart monitor, and pulse oximeter and left there for hours. No one came back in to check on me. As the hours wore on, my basic physical needs were ignored. It had been 12 hours since I had eaten when I was brought in, and I was given no water. (There was no order stating I wasn’t allowed to eat or drink. They just didn’t provide anything.) When I had to go to the bathroom, I tried to call for the nurse with the call button, but no one ever came. After a couple of hours of waiting in vain for someone to appear, I finally took matters into my own hands and disconnected all of the machines and removed my IV, which had gone dry an hour earlier (and hurt like heck!) The nurse came in right as I was trying to stop the bleeding from the IV site, and I told her I what I needed. She allowed me to wobble my way to the bathroom down the hall. When I returned to my room, I was left off of the machines, but was told by the ER doctor that I was being admitted for a cardiac workup.

When the shifts changed, I only saw my night nurse once which was when she came to tell me that it would be awhile before I was admitted, as there were no beds available. No vital signs were taken, no further monitoring was done, and no one came to check to see if I were even still alive. Seventeen hours after I arrived, I was finally admitted to a bed in the hospital. For those seventeen hours of my stay there, I requested water from four different people, but received none. I slept on that tiny, uncomfortable exam table, trying desperately not to fall off, even though I was very dizzy. It wasn’t until I got dressed and decided to go home at midnight that I got any action. (And a tray of food. Sometimes it pays to pitch a fit!)

I realize that I was not the most critical patient in the ER that night. I wasn’t asking for constant attention, just provision of my biological needs and some basic nursing care. I used to be a nurse, and I now teach medical assisting students. I always tell my students to put themselves in their patients’ shoes; how would they want to be treated in the same situation. Either this hospital needs to hire more nurses, or the ones they have need to go back to school and learn some nursing skills. As for me, I would rather die than set foot in that place again! I certainly hope they do better with my surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 03:03 PM
I am a nurse too

Shashi, I am so sorry you had such a horrible experience. Your operation was an emergency right? No time for planning either. I was very lucky. I did alot of planning! As a nurse you know we are horrible patients and tend to over due it!I have a very supportive husband and family too! Anyway......................I know I can say or do nothing to take away this horrible experience but I must tell you this.When I have a horrible experience I try to make something Good come of it. Try now to be an advocate for women so no women EVER suffers what you have . Write the CEO and DON of the hospital and voice your concerns. From what I have read here doctors,hospitals and quality of care varies from state to state . It appears that alot of docs out there are so quick to cut instead of using conservative methods. I was truly blessed with a wonderful Doctor. HE listened to me. I too HAD fibroids. I wanted to keep my uterus untill I turned 40. I had 3 myomectomies to remove the fibroids and keep my uterus untill 5 days ago(im 39 and a half)Women need to find doctors who listen to there needs. Well again I am sorry for your experience and good luck. Angela
Unread 04-02-2002, 03:09 PM
Hi Angela

Hi Angela,

Actually, I didn't have my surgery at that time. It's scheduled for sometime next month. The ER doc thought that the shortness of breath and weakness I was having was due to a heart problem and admitted me for that. (The problem was due to severe anemia which was due to heavy bleeding which was due to fibroids. Silly doctor!! I could have told her that, but she wouldn't listen to me!)

Anyway, I've written a letter to the editor of our local newspaper about my experience and plan to write both the CEO and the DON of the hospital. No one should ever go through what I did!!
Unread 04-02-2002, 03:35 PM
Anemia go figure

Shasi, Ican relate to the anemia. I guess I forgot to tell you. I too was anemic and still am. Now that I have good bowe l function back I can start on my iron pills. Anemia. I bet you ignored all the classic symptoms you were suffering. I know I did! Doctors alot of times seem to neglect to look at things lke anemia being the true problem. They are too busy looking for the BIG things! Well good luck and keep in touch. angela

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register