unhealthy uterus | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

unhealthy uterus unhealthy uterus

Unread 04-02-2002, 07:17 AM
unhealthy uterus

I have been diagnosed with an "unhealthy uterus". I am 30 yrs old and my doctor is talking hysterectomy, however, he wants to wait until I am closer to 40 before doing the surgery. (I have suffered with sever cramps and heavy bleeding since I first started having my period at age 12.) In the mean time my doctor has recommended that I take birth control pills - he has even suggested that I should take them continuously - to alleviate the symptoms and give me some relief while I wait for the next 10 years to pass. Which on the one hand is just fine with me, I am enjoying not having a period! However, I think that I should at least take a break from the pills every now and then. Trouble is everytime I stop taking the pill the pain returns and all I can think is why be in pain when I don't have to be, so I go right back to the pill, telling my self next month I will definately make myself have a period. Anyway, I am just curious as to what my future hyster sisters thoughts are and if any of you have any advise for me.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 08:03 AM
unhealthy uterus

It would be a good idea to get another opinion or maybe two.

I have no experience with this, but I think it a bit bazaar that he has just said do this for 10 years.

Ask what he means by "unhealthy". In what way? Surely he knows more than he is telling you.... Have any tests been done? Any alternatives been discussed?

Hope you can get some good answers soon.
Unread 04-02-2002, 09:17 AM
unhealthy uterus

Hey, I am 29 and am scheduled for a tah bso on 5-16. you don't have to go another 10 years if you are struggling with this thing, I would advise getting a 2nd opinion. I would die if I had to wait until I turned 40! OMG! Anyways, I hope you read this and not settle for what one Dr suggests. That is what my DR said the first, second, and third through 8th visits with her! Finally she got my history faxed to her, and now she see reason to go thru with it. I hope you find some peace with all of this, I would hate to see something worse happen because you waited......
Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 09:30 AM
Do you want kids?

I don't understand why your dr wants to pump you up on hormones and make you wait another 10 years for surgery. Is there any reason why he wants you to wait? Is there any chance you want kids and that would be the hold up? If he says your to young take a look at this link.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...young+comments

I like these two comments
"Too young to not enjoy life to it's fullest. <----------- THE BIG REASON I had my surgery."

"Gee, you're right... I never thought of that! I should go on having pain, heavy bleeding, and all these other problems that stop me from enjoying my young life and endanger my health, and then when I'm old and tired, if I live that long, *then* I should have it taken care of. Silly me - I didn't consider that option!"

For me I had mine when I was 29 because I couldn't live on hormones that gave me bad side effects, almost messed up my gallbladder, made me at risk of stroke, had high blood pressure while on them, headaches, continued bleeding, still had to use narcotic pain killers, and I think the drug companies make some sort of profit or try to get dr's to give patients pills. It's your life you need to make the best choice for you.
Unread 04-02-2002, 09:30 AM
unhealthy uterus

Please get a second opinion!! And have all your test results sent to you so that you can read them. What does unhealthy uterus mean?? I would need more information then that. You owe it to yourself to get another opinion. This is a serious surgery.

Debbie
Unread 04-02-2002, 11:37 AM
I Agree!

I totally agree with the other ladies, get a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th opinion. Not saying your doc is "bad" but some have different views. I am only 28 and will be having tvh done 4/23. I have had heavy periods, major cramps requiring narcotics to manage pain. Been down the bcp route (continuous as well as 3 weeks on, 1 week off), ultrasounds out the wazoo, abdominal ct scan, 2 failed laps. FINALLY my gyn sees my problem is NOT going to go away. 2 years ago, she mentioned a hysterectomy but didn't want to do it because I was so young. Now she "sees the light". I hope things work out for you. Best Wishes. Let us know what ya decide to do.
Unread 04-02-2002, 01:08 PM
I agree too!

Please get a second opinion. I am 35 now but have been suffering since 24 due to doctors telling me I was too young. I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO due to cysts, endo, severe abdonminal pain and all around nastyness. I had a tubal at 24 due to two complicated pregnancies, but the doctors had me try every BC pill imaginable to help with the symptoms I was having. I had side effects with every one. So after all these years I have finally found a doctor that doesn't want me to suffer anymore. I wouldn't want you to go through side effects and pain for years if it is not necessary.

Good luck, be agressive in finding the best solution for you!
Unread 04-02-2002, 01:53 PM
unhealthy uterus

I TOTALLY agree with the other ladies. Get a second or even third opinion. I too would like to know what he means by "unhealthy uterus." You deserve a definate answer. It's your health and wellbeing at stake! Let us know what you decide.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register