April 24 surgery date | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

April 24 surgery date April 24 surgery date

Unread 04-02-2002, 07:46 AM
April 24 surgery date

Hi all!

I'm so glad I found this site! What would we do without technology?

I had been having horrible cramps and heavy bleeding during menstration for several years now, (I'm 43) and recently began to experience sever pelvic and back pain.

My doctor recommended a pelvic ultrasound which showed 3 large cysts. One in each ovary and one in my uterus. My uterus is also completely prolapsed.

After examination the gynocologist recommened a TAH and BSO.

Anyone have a similar diagnosis? Was the recommendation the same?

I am extremely nervous about the procedure. I have done a little research and it scares me.

I just started a new job and am in the middle of a 6 month probationary period. Am I really going to be out for 4 weeks?

Is hormone replacement as awful as I have heard?

I am so tired of being in pain and if this is going to help I'm all for it, I guess I just need reassurance.

Anyhow, thanks for listening.

Cherilynn
:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 08:03 AM
Wishing you all the best

Just wanted to send you all good wishes. Mu surgery date is 4/22. I am also very nervous about it. you are not alone. I have cysts and fibroids, heavy bleeding, etc. As nervous as we are, I think that this is the only answer. I will keep you in my thoughts.
Unread 04-02-2002, 10:57 AM
Hi Cherilynn

Let me offer a
I know this is alot to deal with. It is scary and we all wonder how we will keep our lives and jobs together. But believe me the time does go by pretty quickly.
I also had 3 large cysts and alot of other things going on. I had a TAH/BSO too. It was the right thing for me. I am almost 51.
You are quite a bit younger. You may wish to discuss keeping your ovaries with your doctor if they are found to be healthy during surgery. If they can safely remove just the cysts you can keep your ovaries and should have many years of hormone production from your ovaries.
I think I have had a remarkable recovery. Yet, I would not have wanted to return to work at 4 weeks. I am just coming up on 6 weeks and could go back now. But we are all different as you have probably read. Some women go back to work part time at 4 weeks and some need to be off for 8 weeks. You will really need to listen to your body and take good care of yourself. Please discuss this with your employer. I hope they will be understanding. This is not your fault.
Please try to keep focused on how wonderful your life will be without all the bleeding, pain, discomfort. For most of us life is so much better and the surgery and recovery was definitely worth it.
Also, some women have NO problems with HRT. I just started mine a few days ago. It may need a little adjusting, but no biggie.
However if you can keep your ovaries, you may not need HRT for along time. It is worth checking out.
Hang in there.
Keep us posted on how everything is going, okay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 11:09 AM
hi

my date is 4/23 and seems so far away. I am also scared out of my wits. I was diagnosed with cysts fibroids and endo. I will have a TAH and possilbe Bilateral oopherectomy. The waiting is hard. The nervouses is the worst. I have been told though that 6-8 weeks off work is minimum. And 3-4 days in hospital. Sigh......its seems like so much work today and I have to keep telling myself no pain afterwards will make it worth it.

so we are in it together girls......3 weeks and counting

sindee
Unread 04-02-2002, 12:29 PM
Thanks so much for your input

I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond to my post. It helps to know that so may other women either are going through or have gone through the same thing.

As far as keeping my ovaries, one doctor has indicated that if I were 45 there would not be question of not taking them due to the risk of ovarian cancer after that age and since I am close at 43 he feels it would be best. I am going to another ob/gyn on Friday for a second opinion though.

It's so good to know I'm not alone!

Bless you all.

Cherilynn
:
Unread 04-02-2002, 12:38 PM
Re: Thanks so much for your input

Quote:
Originally posted by Cherilynn
I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond to my post. It helps to know that so may other women either are going through or have gone through the same thing.

As far as keeping my ovaries, one doctor has indicated that if I were 45 there would not be question of not taking them due to the risk of ovarian cancer after that age and since I am close at 43 he feels it would be best. I am going to another ob/gyn on Friday for a second opinion though.

It's so good to know I'm not alone!

Bless you all.

Cherilynn
:

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register