new to site and have many questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new to site and have many questions new to site and have many questions

Unread 04-02-2002, 12:29 PM
new to site and have many questions

Hi - My TVH surgery is scheduled for May 16th. The closer it gets the more questions I have. I have noticed many of you saying waiting is the worst part. My insurance will only cover two days in the hospital but I will have 7 weeks off work and I'm sure that will be enough.

How long before I can drive? I am not a person who enjoys just sitting idle and I think this will be the hardest part for me. I have been stocking up on books and movies to watch.

Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 12:55 PM

Hi, I'm not allowed to drive for 2 weeks. It's OK because I really don't want to go anywhere. Lots of luck to you.

Darla
TAH/BSO
Unread 04-02-2002, 12:59 PM

Each Dr is different, some sisters have said they have to wait longer. I could drive at two weeks, but I didn't feel up to it til 3 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 01:04 PM

Hi, Joni -

You've found the right place for all those questions! And yes, waiting is the worst part :-). Sounds like you have a good situation with 7 weeks off from work, and many women are only in the hospital 2 days!

It will probably be between 2 and 6 weeks till you can drive. That's a pretty broad range. It will depend on lots of things, and you'll need to consult with your doctor to find out what he/she wants specifically for you. You should also check with your insurance company - some of them have periods of time after surgery where they will not cover you if you drive (mine had no such restrictions). Someone on this board wrote a great comment that their doc told her - if you were in a situation where you had to put on the brakes really hard, if it would cause you pain and problems physically, you're not ready to drive.

I relate to not liking being idle, and it is one of the hardest post-op things for lots of us. Think of some things that don't involve lots of lifting. stretching, or bending that you can fill your time with. Some have suggested things like hobbies, getting your photos organized, being on the internet! Think of some things you've always wanted to spend time on, but haven't had time for. You'll also want to walk, so that'll occupy some time. I'm sure others will add things they've done!
Unread 04-02-2002, 01:27 PM

Thanks so much for all the info. I will keep in touch as the days go by. This is a wonderful site!!!

Thanks again!
Unread 04-02-2002, 01:58 PM
I can;'tsit still either

Joni, I too can't sit still I had a TAH on 3/28 I went home 3/30 I wanted to go home 3/29! Doc. said NO! The bottom line is everyone is diffferent. I was told no driving for 2 weeks too. Also for the first week I should stay in the house. I did go for a ride in the car on Easter to rent some movies. I am anemic so I am VERY tired and don't feel like doing much.REMEBER no lifting or house work when you get home! You would be amazed what muscles you truley use lifting laundry and bending over to pick stuff off the floor. Well Good luck. Angela
Unread 04-03-2002, 06:50 AM
Good luck Joni!

My TAH was 3/20 and I too have been hit with the boredom bug. I am now allowed to drive very short trips since I am 2-weeks post op which helps, but I won't be doing very much otherwise. I have read about 8 books, walked, rested, drink lots, watch tv, sit a little here on the computer, watch movies, talk on the phone, etc.

Try to get together all the boredom breakers and keep them beside the bed/couch for easy finding. It is hard to shake the boredom sometimes, but remember, you must rest as much as possible because you've only got one chance to heal properly. You could do a lot of damage to yourself if you do too much too early. Relax and enjoy it. You'll probably never get the chance again! LOL. Good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 04-03-2002, 07:49 AM

I read all the Harry Potter books, fell asleep watching movies on T.V., called friends to talk.

Here is a link to threads where some HS told what they did.

http://hystersisters.com/vb2/showthr...redom+blasters
Unread 04-03-2002, 07:55 AM

Welcome, Joni

I haven't had my surgery (if I have it) scheduled yet..so I can't actually answer any questions about it.

But I can offer warm wishes and hugs for you..so I'll do that instead! The ladies here are fabulous, and are a wonderful resource for advice, comfort, and humour - to say the least!
Anyway...my thoughts are with you, and I'm sure your trip to The Castle will be safe.

Tess
Unread 04-03-2002, 11:45 AM
thanks

Thank you all so much for your support and suggestions to rid myself of the "boredom blues" when I have my surgery.

You all are right, this is a wonderful place!!!

I am on Weight Watchers and I'm terrified of gaining some weight back by being inactive. But I WILL do everything my doctor tells me to do.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register