New to all this | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New to all this New to all this

Unread 04-02-2002, 02:10 PM
New to all this

Hello, I am so confused & scared. I went to my OB/Gyn last month for a annual check up. We ended up doing numerous tests that week. I went back 2 weeks ago for the results and I am so confused & scared. I have numerous fibroids, endometriosis, and my left ovary is double the size of my right. I am scheduled on April 8th for a total hysterectomy. Ovarian cancer runs in my family so this was a no brainer. We tried to do a biopsy but the pain was so intense that we decided to just wait and see exactly what we are up against on Monday. I will go on friday for pre-op instructions and pre-admit. I dont normally share personal things but I am only 39 and have been a orphan for the last 10 years. I have no one else to turn to, my husband just dont get it. I am sure there are thousands of women out there with the same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 02:25 PM
New to all this

(((Nanci)))

Gather all the information that you can. This site will supply you with all kinds of answers---some for which you never thought to ask the questions!

Good luck with everything you have to have done.

I'm sorry to hear you have little support at home, but guarantee you can get it here.

Keep smiling and know we're there for you!

---Joanne
Unread 04-02-2002, 02:28 PM
New to all this

I'm 12 days post (TAH BSO) and I can certainly relate!! I don't have the history of ovarian cancer, but I was still VERY frightened by the thought that the cysts on my ovaries, or the fibroids in my uterus might be something to worry about. As if worrying about the surgery isn't enough!! I was scared to death and I'm so glad it's over with!!!!!

This sight is wonderful and I'm sure you'll find answers to any questions you have, as well as support. It's been a great blessing for me to able to share my fears with others who understand. You might want to visit the chat room just to talk. It helped me so much before my surgery.

God bless and good luck. And please keep us posted as to how you're doing!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 02:36 PM
New to all this

Nanci,
Boy did you come to the right place. These ladies really know how to give encouragement. I am 45, had tah on 1-15-02. The pull downs on this site are very helpful. Take the time to sit and read them and always write and let us know what's on your mind. Someone who has been in your shoes will have great things to say... I promise! I have laughed and cried reading this site and the strangest thing... when-ever I would be feeling some particular way I would turn on the computer and lo and behold my answer would be there because I'm not alone. I would print things for my DH to read, that helps alot. So, we'll be here waiting and if I can help through my experience I'll get right back with you. xx, Karlene
Unread 04-02-2002, 04:12 PM
New to all this

Hi, Nanci -

First of all, please know that being scared is very normal!

I can definitely relate. Hysterectomy is scary enough - when you add the fear of cancer, that makes it even worse

I had endometriosis (didn't know that going into surgery), a "litter" of fibroids as my primary care doc put it, and a left ovary the size of a large orange - with a mass on it that the radiologists didn't look like a normal hemoragic cyst. And I have an aunt and her first cousin with ovarian cancer.

We tracked the mass for a year, and it kept getting slightly bigger with each ultrasound, so they finally did the hysterectomy 4 weeks ago. Turned out to be benign (which I'm REALLY grateful for, especially cause I'm having surgery next Tuesday for what is probably Thyriod cancer..the idea of having both completely freaks me out!).

Have also been an orphan since I was 19 - I'm about 9 years older than you. The family I do have is almost all on the east coast and I'm on the west. And I have a wonderful husband, but you are right, it is (not surprisingly) hard for them to realte to this.

Anyway, you are NOT alone. The women here are very very supportive! Also, if you have friends, neighbors, other family members, etc., if you let them know what's going on, they may be of some help - be it emotional support or actual help doing things post op (bringing a meal, cleaning your house, etc.) One thing those of us like you and I have it easier with is that very few people tell you "you shouldn't have a hysterectomy" when there is a question of cancer involved.

You mentioned being confused as well. Are there any questions you have that might help ease the confusion? I find that knowledge is power, and the more information I got, the more helpful it was. Read as much as you can on this web site. Ask questions - here or of your doctor - if you have them.

Hang in there!!!
Unread 04-02-2002, 04:32 PM
New to all this

Nanci,

Welcome. Like Karlene said, boy did you come to the right place. The ladies here are incredible. I have surgery scheduled for May 20th. I'm a nurse and thought I knew everything I needed to ask. I started reading here and schedelued another appointment to talk more. I had learned so much here and needed to hear the answers from my Dr.

It is normal to be afraid of the surgery, and certainly normal to be afraid of the unknown of the ovary. We are here for you if you need to vent or need a shoulder to cry on. Please be sure to let us know how everything turns out.

Caren

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register