Pre-op, Post-op, everthing | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op, Post-op, everthing Pre-op, Post-op, everthing

Unread 04-02-2002, 04:00 PM
Pre-op, Post-op, everthing

I am having a hysterectomy 43 yrs old (don't know the abbrevations) and it will be more then likely just the uterus
vaginally but with the aid of laproscopy and they will also check out my ovaries (hope I wake up with them...lol).

My problem has been that I have had my period every two weeks since August. They took me off the pill (Micronor - progesteron only) November 28th. I have been on the pill (so many different ones) since I was 18. Micronor is the only thing my Dr would give
me as my blood pressure is iffy as times. My family history of hysterectomies is quite long. Mom had 5 sisters and 4 of 6 of
the girls had hysterectomies by the time they were younger then me. My Mom had her's at 26. Niece has to have one now too and she is only 29 but she has fibroids. I have already had a hysteroscopy so they know that there are no fibroids....just that bad genetic thing going on...or so it seems.

If indeed, they don't remove the ovaries and just take the trouble maker (uterus) which is his plan, how long, realistically is the recovery period? Dr says 6 - 8 weeks but he is a man! I cannot sit home for more then a week or they will be scraping me off the walls. I can work from home (accounting) but I need to drive to pick up the work but that would only be once a week. There are sooo many questions and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am sorry this is so long but I need somewhere to turn as all my female friends are fully intact, thankfully......lol

Thanks,
Kathy V
N Ctrl Fl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 04:39 PM
Recovery

Hello! Best wishes to you, first of all, on a successful surgery and speedy recovery!
Now. I have always considered myself to be a fast healer. I had a total vaginal hysterectomy, anterior and posterior repairs, bladder suspension, rectal repair and tummy tuck on March 15th. I am 32 years old and a little overweight. I took pain meds only for the first week after surgery, and then, only vicodin and ibuprofin. Here is the thing: YES, no matter how GOOD you may FEEL, you must follow you Dr's instructions on what NOT to do. This is so important.
If your Dr says 6 to 8 weeks, that is how long you will need. Sure, you'll be able to sit and do accounting work, walk, do LIGHT housework, perhaps even have permission to drive. But, really, you will need the entire time to recover, as I am learning. You may feel really great, but the reason you will feel great is because you have rested and taken care of yourself. Don't push it, and don't try to rush your body. Kay? Take care of YOU!
Unread 04-02-2002, 04:46 PM

Welcome to the site. I am a yr older than you and basically have the same history. I had my peroid every two weeks for a couple of years. D&C didn't help, hysteroscopy didn't show a reason. I tried all of the BC pills, but my BP also went up. So I let it at I would just deal with it. Until about 8 months ago I started spotting continuously. But basically no period, just non stop spotting. I was almost to the point of just ignoring that until I ruptured two ovarian cysts and found that I have quite a few more. My gyn basically said ENOUGH! And I agreed. The only difference is that I have decided that I will let my ovaries go. Some cancer history in my family and I am having symptoms of being perimenapausal already.

I also live in FL and told him it had to wait until after season. I am an ER nurse and didn't want to leave them short staffed during tourist season, and quite frankley I did not want to be a patient during the height of season.

There is a group of "hyster-sisters" meeting in Lakeland on Sunday for a get together. It sounds like it will be a pretty good sized group. Most have already had their surgery, but I have not and there might be others as well. If you are interested, let me know and I will get the info to you.

This is a great place for asking questions and finding answers. I have learned so much here (and I thought I knew all I needed to know!! ha!) Keep reading and asking questions!

Caren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 04:47 PM

Hi Kathy! I had abdominal surgery and was out of work for 6 weeks. I would imagine its about the same with a vaginal. We are the same age.... and I can relate to the feeling of not being able to sit still! I didnt think I would be able to stand being home all the time, but for me, I was out walking to the mailbox about 3 days after I came home and piddled around the house. I was able to drive at 2 weeks. You have to be very careful about bending, pulling, pushing, or lifting for a while. You really need to rest as much as possible, but I would imagine, if you can work from home, after a few weeks, you may be up to it. At least you can do a little bit and stop if you have to. I could have gone back to work in 4 weeks, but I milked it for all it was worth! I am feeling wonderful and have more energy than ever before. I had everything removed but one ovary and am approaching my one year anniversary in June. I guess its true when they say time flys when you are having fun! After years of suffering and feeling horrible, I finally have my life back!
I hope you too will be feeling much better soon!
Unread 04-02-2002, 04:47 PM

Yep, even though he's a man, he's got the right time period - initial recovery from a hysterectomy is 6-8 weeks - full recovery (feeling like your old self) can be months to a year. Taking the ovaries doesn't affect the time of recovery, really - it just means you get to deal with hormones :-)

Trust me, you will need recovery time. Working from home (I do, too) means you can get back to doing some things earlier, but you still need to take it easy. Sitting is not going to be easy for awhile, so follow your doctor's advice so you heal well.

As for driving, it could be as early as 2 weeks that you'll be allowed to drive, but could be longer - this varies from doctor to doctor, and will depend on your particular situation. I was allowed to drive at 2 weeks, but didn't feel up to it yet, and didn't needed to. If you are not yet allowed to drive or don't feel ready to yet and need to pick up the work, maybe a friend or neighbor could take you.

Ask away! I learned so much from this web site preop!!
Unread 04-02-2002, 04:50 PM

Kathy,

Here is a link to the thread about the FL. get together. Hope you can join us.

Caren
Unread 04-02-2002, 05:09 PM

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to Hystersisters!!

I agree with Lillith's answer to your question about how much time you will need to recover. A hysterectomy is major surgery and 6 to 8 weeks is probably the average length of time before most women should plan to go back to work. Depending on your surgery, your over-all health, and what type of hyster is performed, you may need a little less time, or you may need more.

I had a vaginal hyst with repairs done for a rectocele and a cystocele and went back to work full time at 5 1/2 weeks, but I was really really tired by the end of the day.

If you haven't already found them, on the main page of the site (click onto the 3 Princesses at the top left of this page) there are drop-down menus (scroll down toward the bottom of the main page) that contain pre-op and post-op hints and stories from ladies who have already had their surgeries. Reading those might help answer some of your questions.

Oh, before I forget, here's a link to the abbreviations that we use:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...?s=&forumid=23 It's the second post in that thread.

I wasn't cleared to drive before my two week check-up and even then, I didn't feel really up to it. The first time I drove any distance was at 3 1/2 weeks when I really had to drive to your area (Gainesville) it's about 2 hours from here and I was worn out by the time I got there.

I also don't know how mentally alert you will be after just one week. Most of us are on pain meds for awhile, and the effects of the anesthesia stay with our bodies for several weeks. I don't believe that I could have done any concentrating at one week - I was too mentally.

But, please keep in mind that everyone is different, and that you will just have to wait to see how you feel once the time arrives.

If you're free, come join us in Lakeland this Sunday - we're having a get together of Florida sisters. Here's the link:

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...0&pagenumber=3

We'd love to have you there, too.

's

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register