Nerve Bug Has Hit Hard-6 days to go | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nerve Bug Has Hit Hard-6 days to go Nerve Bug Has Hit Hard-6 days to go

Unread 04-02-2002, 06:25 PM
Nerve Bug Has Hit Hard-6 days to go

Hi,

I have tried so hard to stay positive, but the nerves have finally set in. I have been so stressed out since last night but today has been the worse ever. I have ranged from cranky, weepy, worried, frustrated and totally stressed. And tonight I have been nauseous.

All of lifes problems hit at once- financial, health, etc. I am feeling so overwhelmed. I have been on Cipro for 6 days for infections-sinus, UTI, and yeast. Starting to feel better from them, but now my chief support, DD, has a bad cold. I haven't felt well enough to get all those things done for the surgery, and my sister can only stay 5 days and then I will be alone. Then today my surgeon said it will be between me and the anesthesiologist as to whether I have a general or spinal. I really don't want to make that choice. I'm sorry. I guess I needed to vent.

Thanks for listening. I have tried to keep busy and that has helped up until now.

s and ers to my fellow sisters facing the castle on the 9th and to all the LIW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 06:43 PM

Dear Sharon,

I am so sorry that you are feeling so stressed out today. Please call your doctor in the morning if you are still feeling nauseated, just in case it's a reaction to the medications that you are taking right now for your other health problems.

You really are dealing with quite alot - but please remember that nothing is more important right now than your health. If your sister is going to be there for 5 days, she can get the house in good shape before she leaves, and can be sure that there's plenty of freezer food for after she leaves.

If you don't want to make the choice of anesthesia, you could try asking your doctor (or the anesthesiologist) what they would recommend if it were their wife or daughter. In the meantime, you could try a search (little purple button at top right of this page) for anesthesia and see if there are any threads discussing it.

I hope you'll feel alot better in the morning, but if not, please call your doctor. And be sure to let us know how you are doing. We care.

's

Karen
Unread 04-02-2002, 06:45 PM

Sharina;

I was extremely nervous beforehand too - the closer it got, the worse I got. I didn't get any infections, but I was nauseous and throwing up before. I cried all the time - up to the pre-op room in the hospital.

I was (am) also in a financial crunch, and that only added to the stress - I feel for you.

I know it's hard to do, but try to relax - what's going to happen is going to - if you can't change it, don't worry about it. You'll be so relieved when the day is finally here and you are post-op.

As far as the anesthesia, I had general - I've seen a lot of sisters here who had spinal - maybe they could help with that. I was happy with my general. The anesthesiologist was very good - caring, unrushed with me, and did a good job. It also helped me personally that he had a good sense of humor too - I have a wicked sense of humor, and he gave it all back to me and it made me laugh and be more comfortable. Because of the general anesthesia, I don't remember some things very well - I was trying to imprint things on my memory, like the OR when I first got in there because I couldn't remember anything after my D&C in November 2001 - after a couple of weeks, something triggered a memory, and I remembered that the last thing before I went under, my anesthesiologist looked down at me from above (so he was upside down) and said "ByeBye" - it took watching the show "the weakest link" for that memory to come rushing back. I had no memory about it until then, and I laughed so hard when I remembered it! I mentioned it to him later, and he remembered too.

Sorry - I've rambled.

Try to relax and everything will be OK. I know - easy for me to say. But you'll be in our prayers.

Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 06:48 PM

Aw, Sharon, here are more hugs!!

It's ok to get stressed out and cry and everything at some point...this is a lot to deal with, and it sounds like other things are adding to the stress. You'll get that positive attitude back again!

Having your sister there for 5 days will be wonderful - she'll be able to give you lots of help, and you'll be able to do basic things like getting yourself food and drink and most other things you HAVE to do by then (probably before that). Don't worry too much about getting things done before the surgery. What ever doesn't get done will keep.

I completely understand your not wanting to make the anesthesia decision. Faced with all of this, we get to a point where we just don't want to make ANY decisions!

I recommend you do a search on this site for anesthesia - you'll find people's experiences with both options. That can give you some ideas. I had a spinal and LOVED it..many women have the same opinion about their generals.

I had very mixed feelings about general vs spinal (was worried about different issues with both options), and it helped me a LOT to talk to an anesthesiologist. Once armed with some information from this web site, call your hospital - I bet they'd let you talk to one. Ask them the pros and cons of both. Hopefully that will help you reach a decision

Hope your daughter feels better soon, too!

Hang in there! It'll all be over soon, and you'll be into the easier part of all this!
Unread 04-02-2002, 07:54 PM

Thank you so much for your responses. I am trying to get over this by reading everything I can.

This site means so much to me as it has to everyone. Everyone is so kind and helpful.

Karen, thanks for the advice. I never even considered that the nausea may be medication related-I heard Cipro can be hard on a person-I never had it before, but this is the 3rd antibiotic in about 1 1/2 months. I think it is probably nerves or both, cause I always get that way when stressed. My M.D. recommended a general even though I have so many health issues-Obesity, Asthma, HBP, sleep apnea and ventricular tachycardia. The anesthiologist that did my breast surgery just gave me a mild sedative that made me silly. I was awake the whole time. He said no general cause of the Sleep Apnea. He was wonderful, but I really don't want to be awake through this one. I don't have my preop until Monday, so I will call the Gyn, too. Thanks.

Debbie, thanks so much for your words of comfort and especially for making me laugh!! The "ByeBye" like "The Weakest Link" show had me laughing hard. I really needed that! Thanks

Alisa, thank you so much for your comforting words. I will do a search to help me learn more about both the general and spinal.

Thanks so much for the hugs. I really need them. Oh, I am happy my sister is coming, but I worry about her. She is almost 67 years old, although very spry. Guess I need to humble myself a little and accept help, huh!

s and ers for all

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register