My Dr. will charge me overtime...lol (LONG) | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My Dr. will charge me overtime...lol (LONG) My Dr. will charge me overtime...lol (LONG)

Unread 04-02-2002, 08:12 PM
My Dr. will charge me overtime...lol (LONG)

My pre-op visit is this Thursday and everyone says I need to ask any and all questions I want to, so for the past week I have been writting down questions to ask....If you would like read over them and either give me more questions OR let me know if one sounds tooo stupid or answer them....thanks

Do I need to take any type of stool softener before surgery?
Will I be given something on arrival at hospital for nerves?
(I hope the answer is yes we will meat you at the door)
Will the incession be vertical or horizontal?
Will I have stapels?
For how long?
How do I take care of them?
How long does surgery last?
How long will I be in recovery?
Will my husband be in recovery with me OR not until I get into room?
What can I expect hooked up to me when I wake in recovery?
Will I have a tub down my throat? (I hope if yes it will be out before I wake)
What type of pain medicine will I be on in hospital?
When I come home?
Will I have a private room?
When will I start Hormone treatments?
Are there certain foods I need to eat once I get home?
How long will i have to be in bed rest?
driving?
climbing stairs?
outings?
Maximum weight I can lift?
What are the chances of endo coming back after surgery?
Baths or showers? If showers for how long?

My husband said he bets NO ONE has ever asked this many questions....I told them they probably have. I would rather know what is going on before hand rather than the Dr. telling DH after surgery and him relaying it to a medicated person...lol

thanks-
runabout
(Lynne)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 08:25 PM
Hey Lady

You are right on the money with the questions. I can't think of a thing to ask or answer that your DR hasn't already. Just make sure you follow his instructions. We will help you all we can when something comes up, but your DR is the one to fix it. Of course there won't be anything to fix right? God Bless.
Unread 04-02-2002, 10:01 PM
I did the same thing !! lol

I went to the doctor today and I had a full page of questions !Surgery for me is April 15th and you asked all the questions I did !!! So tell your husband nope you're not the only one !!!
My DD sat down beside me in the chair across from his desk and answered every single question I had !
You're smart to want to know beforehand...that way you feel more at ease.
Good luck to you and God Bless !
Deborah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 10:24 PM

Hey Lynne,

Tell hubby that my list is just as long. And you gave me a few I hadn't thought to ask when I go for my pre-op on Thursday! I too like to be informed. I'll be thinking of ya!
Unread 04-02-2002, 11:03 PM

Don't worry! I have tons of questions to ask now after visiting with my fellow "hystersisters." My DR is gonna hate me! Just kidding. I didn't know where to start until I hit here so just keep reading and the queens are sure to answer or raise any questions you might have! I know that they have all been great with me and I am a nervous wreck. Here's some and to get you through your pre-op appointment.
Unread 04-02-2002, 11:15 PM

My list was long too, though I found getting the answers went much faster than I expected. And I also developed even more trust for my doc because she patiently answered every one of them & asked if I was sure I didn't have any others before ending the appointment.

I think a doc's willingness to answer questions is a good measure of their confidence and trustworthiness. But then that's me.

Melissa
Unread 04-03-2002, 01:53 AM
One very important question

Ladies

I have read all the replies to this post and noticed one very important question missing that none of you have thought to discuss with the doctor.

As most of you have said dh, I can only assume there are dh's at home. Ummmm, you may want to discuss with the doctor how long you will be before you are able to commence being intimate with dh's again. Believe me, a few weeks post op the desire will come back.

All your questions are great, and you will be surprised how well the doctor will go answering them. I too had the list of questions and we got through them fairly quick and the doctor was very patient.

All the very best to all of you for your upcoming surgery.

Cheers
Gail
Unread 04-03-2002, 02:29 AM
You caught it....

After writting this I thought the Hystersisters are going to think I could care less about the sex question. But I guess I have read so many entries concerning that I figured I knew the answer...lol
I am sure my Dr. would have told me and if not I would have asked just to make sure.
I guess I am so focused on the surgery, pain, getting over it and hoping for NO pain that that particular question would come then.
I do hope after a few weeks the desire does come back- I don't want to be in surgery shock with NO desire for along time.

Everyone Thanks for your replies and I will let you all no how my pre- op goes....

runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-03-2002, 02:52 AM
Lynne

Not much to add, but just wanted to tell you to get a heat pad to have when home they are wonderful. Good luck hun with your surgery, take care and keep us posted. Hugs Vicki
Unread 04-03-2002, 04:33 AM

I had almost the same list of questions when I went to my pre op with my DR. Before I started asking questions she had a list of her own to go over with me, she answered 95% of my questions before I got to ask one! I was glad I had the list, I checked off the questions as she answered them.

The following is from the announcement at the top of the board. It has a more complete list of abbreviations, and also drugs and herbs not to take before surgery.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann...php?forumid=23
DH ( dear husband)
DS (dear son)
DD (dear daughter) <---this is the one causing confusion!
Dr or MD (doctor) These abbreviations are used all over the net and we've just taken them in as our own, including DD (daughter!) Lately when the members have assumed this DD must mean doctor...they type interesting posts about their DD doing their surgery and the rest of us scratch our head and think...WHAT?? Their daughter is doing their hyst for them?? Makes for funny reading...but it does help for us to use the abbreviations the same way

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register