Got a quick crazy question? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Got a quick crazy question? Got a quick crazy question?

Unread 04-02-2002, 08:26 PM
Got a quick crazy question?

I keep reading where women have these cysts, fibroids, ect.

Does your doctor know before surgery you have all of this OR is this something he finds while doing the hysterec. and tells you afterwards?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 08:35 PM
Hi

Most of the time they don't know about all the cyst and fibroids until they get into the surgery. Mine were all in side except for one cyst that had burst years ago and made scar tissue that connected my ovary to my intestines. So all the rest came from my post-op report. That isn't a silly question. Sometimes they are on the out side the cysts and they will see them from a lap or US. God Bless.
Unread 04-02-2002, 08:36 PM

Well, I found out 2 years ago that I had fibroids due to an ultrasound because I was having hip and lower back pain. I have since had a tremendous amount of bleeding, clotting and cramping, since the bcp the DR put me on quit working. I went in again for him to check me out again and he did another ultrasound, nothing had changed for the better, so here I am ready to go have my TVH on April 16th. I hope that all the DR finds is just the fibroids. But I will keep you all posted. Hope I was of some help to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2002, 08:42 PM
Knowing most of it beforehand (I hope)

I think my doctor could kind of feel the fibroid my pushing on my tummy first of all, then he sent me for an ultrasound & it was blurry, so I had to have a vaginal probe. From that, they knew there were fibroids (& actually, when I called his nurse in the first place & described the excessive menstral bleeding, she suspected fibroids). After I had a D&C then he really knew about the fibroids in the uterine wall. Then, yesterday I met with him for the post-op for the D&C then he had the lab reports noting the atypical cells, so, he recommended the hysterectomy (again, he had mentioned it at each stage along the way as well). So, right now I'm scheduled for April 12th. Yep, this has really snowballed & really gone fast -- 2 weeks & 1 day ago I thought it was menopause, but, now, instead it's all this!
Unread 04-02-2002, 11:22 PM

My naturopath found my 1 small fibroid during a pelvic exam a few years back; an ultrasound confirmed it.

Didn't find endo or the cyst until the surgery -- and it turned out the cyst was attached to my left ovary on this really long stalk! I have pictures. I'm hoping it was involved with my weird intestinal stuff and its removal will mean my guts are fixed too!

Melissa
Unread 04-03-2002, 04:17 AM

I think most of the time they are aware of the fibroids (mine were discovered about 3 1/2 years ago) Even after my most recent ultrasound in December, they didn't know how many I had until the pathology report after surgery (many, many). The ultrasound also showed cysts on my right ovary, turned out both ovaries were polycystic. The ultrasound and pelvis exams let them know my uterus was enlarged, but my DR was still surprised by its actual size. I guess even with all the modern technology they don't know everything you've got til they get in there.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register