How does a hyst and c-section compare? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How does a hyst and c-section compare? How does a hyst and c-section compare?

Unread 04-03-2002, 05:13 AM
How does a hyst and c-section compare?

Hi ladies,

Just wondering from a recovery standpoint how a hyst and c-section compare? I had a c-sction with our DD and bounced right back and am hoping that I can do even half as well as I did then! I will find out tomorrow if I'm elligable for a LAVH instead of aTAH. I'll need a TAH if I have endo on my c-section scar. Surgery date is May 1. I'm really looking forward to feeling good again!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 05:52 AM
Me too

Hi Debbie. I had a c-Section almost 7 years ago with a vertical incision (naval to pubic bone). My doctor wanted to go back thru the c-section scar so he could get a better look at what was going on, plus he removed 2-inches in width plus the whole length of the previous scar. The old scar was causing so many adhesion/scar tissue problems and he decided to cut it out.

As far as recovery goes....you faired better than me. With my c-section, I had a really rough time. But I had gained 70 pounds during pregnancy which I am sure delayed my recovery. It took me about 4 months or so before I felt even semi-normal. The hysterectomy (TAH with appendectomy) was really a piece of cake compared to that. I had such a wonderful experience, as wonderful as anything can be after major surgery. Only pain that I have had at all is gas pains and pinching (healing) around the incision site. I will say I get tired easier with the hyst than the c-section, but I just remember everything I've learned here....walk, drink, rest!

I feel absolutely wonderful. Every lady is different with pain and recovery, so remember that in case you don't exactly feel like dancing. My feeling would be that if you had such a great experience with your c-section that you will be a-ok with this one as well. Be sure to talk to your doctor and anesthesiologist about any questions and concerns you have so that your surgery and recovery will go smoothly.

Thinking of you and wishing you the best! Waiting is truly the hardest part.
Unread 04-03-2002, 06:14 AM

Kinda the same thing happened with me as it did with Kristy with the C-section scar, but it was with my 2nd C-section that the dr removed the scar tissue from the first one. My last section was almost 12 years ago.

With my hyst, I had a LAVH. If I'd had more adhesions, the dr was going to remove them laprascopically like he did 5 years ago. Maybe you could ask your dr if it would be possible to remove your endo this way too. It is easier to see and remove it through an abdominal incision though. So, just be prepared if your dr insists on the TAH.

I don't know if it was because I'm older now, if it's because there was no baby to keep my mind off ME, or if things were removed instead of just getting cut & stitched, but I too found I tired more easily after my hyst and it took a little longer to get back to feeling myself. There are lots of women who bounce back rather quickly though. Hopefully, you'll be one of those!

My best advise I can give is listen to your dr and to your body. Don't be in a rush to get back to all the things you're used to doing. You could feel great and think you're able to do more than you should, but wind up hurting yourself instead. Take time, enjoy the pampering, and heal right the first time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 06:29 AM

I have had 2 C-Sections (both vertical incisions). I had a LAVH on 2/8/02---this was SO much easier than the C-Sections. Much quicker recovery!
Unread 04-03-2002, 06:30 AM

I had a c-section 4 years ago with a bikini cut from another doc at that time and my present doc had to go through that same incision to perform my TAH on March 19, 2002 and I kept the ovaries. With the c-section, like you I bounced back quickly and was up walking around in the hospital while I was inpatient.

However, the TAH for me has been a much more painful and slower process as far as recovery is concerned. I too expected this surgery to be much like the c-section. Boy was I ever wrong!

My doc said that I would be in pain more because the surgery took 3 1/2 hours due to the fact that my uterus was 14 - 16 weeks huge and was completely attached to my abdominal wall at the old c-section scar and my ovaries and fallopian tubes were attached to the uterus. I had huge fibroids, severe hemorraghic endometriosis, frequent and severely painful menstrual periods, and my bladder was attached to my uterus. So yes, the recovery for me has been much more in depth because the doc said I was terrible inside due to everything being adhered together and he had to cut everything apart before he could even perform the TAH.

Right now, I am two-weeks post-op and am feeling really good and stronger. I am so happy about that. Keep the positive attitude, because there is power in positive thinking! May you recover beautifully when you have your surgery in May! You will recover beautifully because you already have the positive bounce-back attitude for it!

We love you!

s
Unread 04-03-2002, 08:09 AM

Most of the threads I have read on this subject have voted c-sections much easier. This one is voting the other way. Interesting, isn't it. See this link for example: http://hystersisters.com/vb2/showthr...=hyst+csection

With a hyster you have alot more cutting and stitching going on inside. But everyone is so different in the details.
Unread 04-03-2002, 10:47 AM

I was asking that same question before I had my hyst. I have had 4 c-sections, the last being 12 years ago. All of them were bikini cuts.

I am 6 days post op. I had a TAH (they went in throught the same bikini incision), kept ovaries. The doctor had to detach my uterus and bladder from my abdominal wall. They were stuck there due to adhesions.

I found the hysterectomy to be a whole lot easier than the c-sections. I am walking up-right instead of doing the c-section shuffle. I have stairs in my house and they are no problem. I am 6 days post op and am only using alleve once in a while for discomfort. The hardest part for me has been to keep reminding myself that there is a lot of healing going on and I need to take things slow.

Like some of the other mentioned I think having a positive attitude is a big help. Just listen to your body and let everyone pamper you.
Unread 04-03-2002, 11:09 AM

I had 2 c-sections, the last being almost 13 years ago. I think the c-section post op was much tougher than the hyst. I had a SAH on 12-19-01, and I was walking around the hospital less than 24 hours after surgery. I felt stronger after my hyst than after the birth of my ds and dd. I was cut on the same bikini incision as my c-sections, and my dr. removed adhesions; I feel 100% better.

Good luck; and remember to listen to your dr. and your body.
Unread 04-03-2002, 11:20 AM

I had 2 C-sections. I think it depends a lot on your state of health on which one will be easier. But I did better with both C-sections than with this surgery.
The first C-section I was not really in shape and didn't exercise my whole pregnancy. It took a couple of weeks before I was pain-free and feeling good. The second C-section, I had been walking right up until delivery and kept my weight gain in check. I never needed any pain meds after the epidural was taken out at 36 hours and was feeling great in a week.

THIS was different. They aren't just cutting open your uterus and removing a baby. They are detaching your uterus from ligaments holding it in place in your abdomen. The pain that you will experience is that of ligaments healing as much as anything else. Nonetheless, I was again not in good shape and it took a good 6-7 weeks before I didn't have pain every day. But at 6 months post-op, I'm feeling great and exercising and very energetic.
Unread 04-03-2002, 12:05 PM

Thanks Everyone for the honest input. Luckily i will have my parents here for 10 days to help with our 4 yr old DD, so I have some time to relax and heal

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register