How does a hyst and c-section compare? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How does a hyst and c-section compare? How does a hyst and c-section compare?

Unread 04-03-2002, 02:15 PM
How does a hyst and c-section compare?

Hi. I had a c section 2 years ago and healed rather quickly from that. I had a LAVH 2 weeks ago and although I am less sore I am more tired. I think this surgery was definitely easier and I was moving around alot quicker. I wasn't so tired the first two weeks but now I think healing and my 2 year are catching up with me. All in all though it is nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be. I am glad you have help coming. DH took first week off and then worked half days last week. Now he is back at work full time and I think that is part of the reason I am getting a little worn out. Good luck, try not to worry too much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 02:58 PM

I have had three c-sections, bikini cut, and the TAH was performed at the same place. My last c-section was 4 years ago.

I also thought I would bounce back as well as I did after the c-sections, and I have in a sense, but I agree with everyone else about the tiredness issue. But maybe caring for a newborn distracts from focussing on how one feels.

As well as actually losing an organ, and all the stitching and healing that entails, I believe it is partly because of the anaesthetic. They only give you a minimum when having c-sections, as they don't want it to affect the baby. They are much more liberal with the doses when having hysterectomies....also the surgery time is longer...therefore the need for more anaesthetic.

I know it is different for everyone, but for me, having had c-sections was a comfort, because I knew the pain level I was likely to have (correct) and I knew the routine in hospital. I also had a good idea on how to care for myself afterwards. Not knowing these things with my first c-section made me very frightened. With this surgery, I wasn't nervous at all until the very last second.

Yes, it is different, but I think that if you did well with c-sections, you are likely to have a much more positive experience.

Love and light,

Nina
Unread 04-04-2002, 06:51 AM

Hi!

I had 2 c-sections- 4/90 and 9/91 with bikini cut. Had my TAH 3/19/02 and my dr. went in through the old c-section scar. I guess everyones experience is different, but I think the c-sections were a little rougher. I was expecting to feel worse than I have been! I say that now and with my luck I'll probably get hit with that 3rd week brick really hard!

I also agree with Nina about knowing how you'll feel and what to do to care for yourself afterwards. The nurses at the castle would start to explain something to me and I was like "i know...I know"..bet they were glad to see me go!
All in all I feel pretty good for having major surgery 16 days ago!
Keep us posted on how you are doing when you get out of the castle!

s
Gina
:smokin:

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register