Hormones Post-Op? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormones Post-Op? Hormones Post-Op?

Unread 04-03-2002, 06:33 AM
Hormones Post-Op?

Hello Ladies,
I need your help please.
I received a phone call yesterday from my gyn to go over a few things. Surgery Scheduled for 4/22- TAH/BOS due to Enlarged Uterus and Fibroids, Fibroids, Fibroids. She plans to do a bikini-cut. I would have preferred a TVH, but she claims it is not possible. Anyway, I wanted to be assured that she would start me on hormone therapy right after surgery, as this is what I was told by her nurse when I called there a few weeks ago. The gyn said "No" that she prefers to wait a couple of weeks. Is this the norm? I am worried about loss of hormones. Any thoughts on this would be very much appreciated. Thank-you again- ALL of U!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 06:43 AM
Hormones Post-Op?

Hi Sharon,
I also had a TAH/BSO for enlarged uterus and fibroids. The doctor did atempt to do a TAVH, but while in surgery they changed and went with the TAH bikini cut. Doctor told my husband that I was a bleeder so she felt safer going bikini. I am 51 and was placed on my hormones the day after surgery. I take Cenestin. You might ask your doctor why she/he would like to wait. Maybe there are other reasons your doctor feel you should wait. I wish you a safe and easy surgery and recovery.

Debbie
Unread 04-03-2002, 07:03 AM
Hormones Post-Op?

My DR also waited 2 weeks. I didn't have any symptoms between surgery and starting at 2 weeks, no hot flashes, etc. I've been taking estrace 1mg/day ever since (8 weeks post) with no problems. The body has a supply of hormones built up anyway, and usually takes a couple of weeks to deplete, maybe that's why some DR's wait. Maybe it depends on your age. I really don't know why. Call and ask your DR (then tell us )

You sound like me, lots of fibroids and an enlarged uterus. My uterus was even larger than she expected, even after pelvic exam and sonogram. She said it was a challenge getting it out via a bikini cut.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 07:52 AM
Hormones Post-Op?

Hi, mlweeman, you sound like me. I, too, had a very enlarged uterus with lots of fibroids. The biggest one I had was 12cm (a baby's head, I was told by my doctor, is between 8-10cm).

The largest fibroid I had was actually larger than my uterus and the doctor contemplated having to do the vertical cut. I'm so glad that he didn't 'cause I really wanted the bikini cut. What he had to do was to cut up the fibroid while inside so that he could get it out through the incision. I had a total of 7, although they were all different sizes.

It really amazes me the types of problems we women have with our bodies. It boggles the mind !!!!
Unread 04-03-2002, 08:24 AM
Hi Sharon

My doctor didn't give me an estrogen patch until I was 5 weeks post op. I felt fine without it. A few minor warm flashes at bedtime. He knew I had alot of stored estrogen in my body. This may be true for you too.
Also, our adrenal glands continue to produce hormones even after the surgery. I am not sure for how long though but they are working for us.
My doctor amazingly enough gave me the bikini cut. I had expected the vertical. I had a 10 week size uterus and lot's of large cysts and fibroids. (Also cancer which required alot of biopsy's). I am grateful as it has healed up very quickly and not too much discomfort.
Keep posting and reading. You are going to do just fine.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register