Pre-Op cardiac problems!!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op cardiac problems!!!! Pre-Op cardiac problems!!!!

Unread 04-03-2002, 06:51 AM
Pre-Op cardiac problems!!!!

I am scheduled for TAH/BSO on 4/12 and had my pre-op testing on 3/29. My DR's office called me yesterday to tell me they were not happy with the results of my EKG and I need medical clearance from my Primary Care DR to do the surgery. Of cource the primary DR is on vacation until 4/10 which is too late for the clearance. The nurse was very helpful and had another DR look at the results and now they want me to see a Cardiologist. After 4 hours of phone calls back and forth I finally got an appointment with one for today.

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing? The stress was bad before but now it's through the roof. I am afraid if they do another EKG today it will be even worse because I'm a basket case Does anyone have any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 07:00 AM

Oh DJ, I am so sorry to hear that. My blood pressure was up at my pre-op appt, but I think it was my nerves. I did not have have an EKG. I wish I had some advice of having gone thru that, but I don't. I hope one of the other ladies does!

My only advice would be this - do exactly what they say. It could be nothing more than nerves, but to me it sounds like it was outside the range that they would allow for the surgery without some assurance from another doctor. You want to make sure that you are ok before surgery, and the only way to do this is to get the clearance, or treatment, from another doctor. I know it is awful having to wait longer, but remember you want to be ok and not have any complications during surgery, so take the advice of your doctors.

Best of luck, and my thoughts and prayers go out to you. Please keep us posted!
Unread 04-03-2002, 08:40 AM
HI DJ

Hopefully this is just stress related. But go and take all the tests they want you to, to make sure. You don't want any surprises in OR.
Shortly after my cancer diagnosis and the news that I would need a hysterectomy, (which was just a little stressful)I had to rush my mom to the hospital. I sat by her side for 8 days and nights. I was having alot of chest pains which I ignored at the time. I did tell my doctor about it though well before surgery. I had to meet with a Cardiologist too and had an EKG, and a stress test (treadmill) and of course the X-Ray. Well everything turned out fine. For me the chest pains were stress related. My surgery went on as planned and without any problems.
Better safe than sorry.
I will that yours will be just fine too.
Take a little walk, listen to some nice music or do anything that is calming for you before the next EKG.
Let us know how it goes, okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 01:14 PM

Hi. My situation is a little different than yours but I wanted to give you some comforting words. I knew before my surgery that I had problems with a very fast abnormal heart rate plus high blood pressure. I also had an EKG, and everyone involved knew the medicine I was taking. My advise to you is do what the doctors say , if they want another EKG , then maybe you should. Another thing , I was very well monitored during surgery. I was connected to a heart monitor the whole time. My surgery went great and I feel really good.( 16 days post op from TVH/BSO).
Hopefully it is stress related , but you want to make sure. This is just my opinion, you have to feel right with your decision.
Best Wishes to you . Terri
Unread 04-04-2002, 08:04 AM
Post Cardiaologist

Well I had to see a cardiologist last night and after a 3 hr visit it turns out everything is okay! The EKG the hospital did came back that there was evidence of a heart attack but the cardiologist did an echocardiogram and said everything is normal. He says that the hospital machines work from a computer and that any slight deviation causes a set assesment to be printed by the computer. He did say the I have what is called a heart murmer because of one slightly leaky valave and a valve that doesn't open properly but these are not anything that will affect my life. I am sooo relieved!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the great support!
Unread 04-04-2002, 08:21 AM

Great news!
Thanks for letting us know.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register