really geting nerous | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

really geting nerous really geting nerous

Unread 04-03-2002, 08:55 AM
really geting nerous

Hi I'm new, my surgery is May 9, I'm 44 have a had really bad flooding for years . My Dr. said it's time. I just keep reading so much stuff about "Save your Uterus", I just hope I'm not jumping the gun here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 09:05 AM
Hi Cathy

Thank you for posting and welcome to HysterSisters.
Heavy bleeding can have lot's of unpleasant effects on our health and life. If you would like to, please give us more information on your diagnosis and the type of surgery you will be having. We can give you alot more feedback to assist you in feeling more confident and proceding, or not, with the hysterectomy.
I have never read anything about "save your uterus" here. Are you thinking about messages advising to "save your ovaries"?
Many times when the uterus is removed, which is what a hysterectomy is, the ovaries do not have to be removed. If the doctor wanted to take them that procedure would be listed as an oophrectomy. I may have spelled it wrong. Those of us that post that we had a TAH/BSO means we had everything out; uterus, cervix, ovaries and tubes.
Keeping healthy ovaries provides many benefits including the natural production of hormones, so you probably won't need HRT until you reach natural menopausal years. You may have a few to go yet.
We're here for you. Let us know if we can be of any more help.
Unread 04-03-2002, 09:18 AM
really geting nerous

O.K. , I'm having a LAVH, I'm not even certain if my cervix is being removed. I'm learning so much about what questions I need to ask my Dr. , This may be a really dumb question , but is the uterus important for anything besides having babies, if it's not then why is there so much controversy. This is what I'm stuggling over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 09:28 AM
Understanding your feelings

Dear Cathy,
I am 23 yrs. old and I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy on April 19th. They have been asking me for two years to have this operation, but I didn't want to have it done. Now it isn't an option for me at this point. I have had complications since I was sixteen yrs. old. I am probably not the person that needs to respond, because I am new at this web site, but I wanted to let you know that their are others out here (like me) that know exactly what you are going through. I am so nervous and anxious about the surgery that some nights I can't seem to sleep. I just lay there wondering what is going to happen, what I am going to feel like after the operation. I hope this will give you some encouragement just to let you know that your not alone.
Unread 04-03-2002, 09:39 AM
really geting nerous

Hi Shara,
I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing, I trust my Dr. but sometimes I get this feeling like, it's just their job and they need the business, I quess I am just so paranoid
Unread 04-03-2002, 10:06 AM
really geting nerous

Your uterus has several "side effects" that appear to be minimized by many doctors. For one, it contracts and provides some of the pleasure of your orgasms. When you are post-op, you might notice a difference in their quality. Mine are different, but still great.
Also, your ovaries, should you decide to keep them receive some blood supply from the uterus. I have not yet found any studies that look into the incidence of ovarian failure following hysterectomy (after a year or so), but anecdotal evidence from women that I've discussed this with, and those on this website, suggests that the chance of ovarian failure due to the removal of your uterus is high enough to think hard about that. Although many say that their ovaries work fine right after the surgery, I have yet to talk with a single woman who didn't mention that their ovaries failed within a year or two following the surgery. Most of the studies that say that ovaries don't fail following the surgery, do not look out that far.
There is a board that talks a lot about whether or not to have a hysterectomy. I highly recommend that you search through it and read a lot of posts before making all your decisions about this important surgery.

BTW: I'm very happy that I had everything removed and am on HRT. I would do it again in a heartbeat! I feel great now and no periods or PMS!
Unread 04-03-2002, 01:26 PM
Hi All

This is my recollection of what I have read here on ovary functioning after hysterectomy.
The ovaries will go to sleep for awhile after surgery. It can take a few weeks or longer for them to wake up and start functioning again.
Obviously there is no guarantee of long term health or functioning of the ovaries.
Also, within 5 years approximately 50% of the ovaries are no longer functioning. Please forgive me if this is not exactly right.
You can do a search on "Ovaries after Hysterectomy" or something similiar using the purple search button in the upper right to get more information.
Unread 04-03-2002, 01:48 PM
really geting nerous

I just HAVE to jump in here and tell you that I know *personally* 2 people, my aunt and my mother in law, who have both had hysterectomies in their late 20's, kept ovaries and are just NOW, 10 years post for my aunt and 22 years post for my mother in law, going into menopause.. The ovaries DO still get blood supply from their outermost reaches, NOT just the uterus.. In my opinion, and that is just what it is, if your uterus is diseased, like mine and is causing you problems, I would risk possible ovarian failure to feel less pain and stop the bleeding. Just my humble opinion.. Also, in this day and age, there are many things you can do to get your hormones balanced *post-hyst* if they do(God forbid)fail.. I just don't think enough studies have been done on enough women to really say what the truth is.. All I know, is I want to feel better and I'm praying that God will keep my ovaries healthy after my hyst.. If not, well, then I guess I'll have to jump that hurdle once it's in front of me.

S!
Unread 04-04-2002, 05:05 AM
really geting nerous

Julie,
Thanks for telling me that SOMEONE actually had functioning ovaries after a year or two. I purposely made the statement that I did with the hope that someone would refute it and tell me a different story. Yours is the first I've heard with that outcome. Good to know that it IS possible to have functioning ovaries for a long time after a hysterectomy.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register