Pre-op scheduled for April 18 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op scheduled for April 18 Pre-op scheduled for April 18

Unread 04-03-2002, 09:38 AM
Pre-op scheduled for April 18

I just wanted to say Thank you to all the ladies that has responded to my first post. I wanted to know if you could give me advice on what is going to happen on pre-op day. I am very nervous about being put to sleep because I have severe asthma. Not only am I afraid of what I am going to feel like after the surgery, I am also afraid of will I wake up from the surgery. Are these normal feelings and should I express these feelings to the one's assisting me the day of pre-op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 09:56 AM

You will meet with a nurse that will take write down just about everything there is to know about you and some stuff you wish nobody knew! LOL

But seriously, you will also meet with the anesthesia department that will explore any issues that you might have that would complicate anesthesia. Obviously, when they find out that you are asthmatic, they will talk to you about what they will do differently. But tell them of your fears. It is important that they know about them and address them one by one.

Are you having an epidural and general? Have you been asked this? I had both so that they could put some meds in my spine for a couple of days post surgery to help with pain. This would also help to calm you fear about waking up during surgery. In reality, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that you'll wake up. First they give you a sedative, then an epidural (possibly), and then the general. Most of us remember the doctor putting the sedative into our IV and then the next thing we knew we woke up in either the recovery room or our own room.

I think waking up during surgery is a common fear, but it is not a rational one. Just remember that.
Unread 04-03-2002, 10:10 AM

I have not been asked about an epidural. It was explained to me by my doctor that they would put me to sleep. They will be going through my abdomin. I did not know that there was an option.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register