Same day surgery? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Same day surgery? Same day surgery?

Unread 04-03-2002, 10:00 AM
Same day surgery?

I am having a VH on 19th April and am starting to get very anxious. I am sure I will get anwsers at the pre-op but am wondering how same day surgery works. After reading information on post-op procedures ladies generally stay in hospital and get checked regularly by medical staff for a day or 2. Then the catheter thing, what happens if you don't get to urinate before you leave? It seems weird to me that I will be sent home to basically care for myself. Should I ask to be kept in for a day extra or is it better for recovery to get back in your own home. I would really appreciate any information of how other ladies have coped with this situation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 10:13 AM
Same day surgery?

Gee, same day surgery would be kind of unusual. You might call your doctor's office to find out what percentage of patients are REALLY same day surgery and what percentage stay overnight. Often insurance won't PRE-approve the number of days you'll really be in the hospital, but once you've had your surgery the doctor or hospital staff will call and get you an extra day if you need it. A little chat with the office staff might make you feel a lot better about this whole thing.

I did go home the day *after* my laparoscopic hyst and was quite ready by then. Usually they want you to drink, tinkle, and have some gas and bowel sounds before they let you go home, and they'll extend your stay as long as needed to have that happen. It's unusual to go home with a catheter unless you've had some bladder work done. If there's someone with you at home, you really might be more comfortable there once you're ready to go. Here again, if you ask the office staff what the critieria are for releasing you to go home, you'll probably feel a lot better about the whole thing.

Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 04-03-2002, 10:16 AM
Same day surgery?

Hi Katygirl!
Ask your doctor about staying longer if you don't feel like you're ready to go home. How you do depends on many things and it is possible to go home the same day with a tvh, a lot of women also stay a bit longer. My doctor said it was up to me and how I felt, but suggested that one day is often enough. I actually went in on Thurs. morning and left Saturday morning. As far as what you will be required to do before you leave, I think that varies from doctor to doctor and hospital to hospital....another question for the doctor I think. My cathetar was removed about 12 hours after surgery at my request and I was able to urinate on my own. I don't think it is usual for someone with a tvh to go home with a cathetar, I think that usually happens when bladder repairs or reconstructions or even problems have occurred. Again, talk to your doctor and if possible, have some options...you may feel wonderful...you may need that extra time. Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 12:11 PM
One week post from LSH!

Hi!

Same day surgery was mentioned to me as a possibility also. My DH however, would have been way to nervous!!!! I really was not ready anyway, and staying was not a problem. In order to go home you must be on oral pain meds, able to hold down clear liquids, be voiding on your own and the infamous passing of gas!

My catheter was removed about 5 p.m. on the day of surgery, but I was very "green" from anesthesia, and best I could do was ice chips until about 9:00 p.m. No problem voiding on my own that evening, but was a little dizzy the first couple of times up to the bathroom and took it very slowly. Was ready to walk the hall at midnight. I went home at 3:00 the next afternoon. I was VERY sore where I bend, and started on advil for pain once I got home because the Rx pain meds just made me to nauseous.

I hope this synopsis of my stay helps you prepare for your surgery. Please don't feel you must go home if you are not ready!
My decision to go home was mine, and if I needed another day it would have been no problem.

I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery and of course a speedy recovery!
Unread 04-03-2002, 12:57 PM
Same day surgery?

I had a TVH with repairs
I came home with a catheter
I had surgery at 9:00 am march 20th I came home at 5 o PM on the 22nd went back to the doctor on the 26th to have the catheter taken out
for me I was kinda glad I had the catheter because of the drugs I was on made me sleepy and with the catheter I didn't have to get up and go to the bathroom
but once they took the catheter out I was able to go pee on my own
they took it out at the hospital the moring of the 22nd and I could not go pee so they put it back in which by the way did not hurt
so I say it just depends on what you have done
hope I have helped some
hugs ladypeewee

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register