Am I crazy! What have I done! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I crazy! What have I done! Am I crazy! What have I done!

Unread 04-03-2002, 10:30 AM
Am I crazy! What have I done!

My pre-op is tomorrow, with TAH/BSO on April 9th. After every test imaginable, they came up with a right ovarian cyst, enlarged uterus (12-week pot belly), fibroids and suspected endo. They wanted to do exploratory surgery and burn out the endo, then go in later to do the hysterectomy. I told them they only had one chance to open me up. Everything was fine until the meeting with the surgeon. Now, I am terrified! What have I done! Surely I can live with the discomfort, weird periods, cramps, etc. Perhaps I could get that spinal now and have them inject a backbone. LOL

This site has helped a lot. After hearing horror stories about not being able to move for four weeks, untold pain and months of recovery, I've been scared witless. Reading here has really helped put things into perspective. Now, if I can only get past the fear of needles and pain, the waiting and knowing what they are doing, I'll be fine. Thanks for sharing your warmth, humor and wisdom. I may be 45, but right now I feel like a scared 5 year-old.

Geri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 10:49 AM

Hi
I am 45 also - and am 3-1/2 weeks post op from TAH/BSO. I panicked right beforehand too and thought...oh well, maybe my heavy bleeding isn't so bad. WEll, it was, and try to remember your initially made your decision based on facts.
I drove myself to my 2-1/2 wk. post op check up. I did perfectly fine. I had minimal post op pain. Even in the recovery room, I had no pain. I was under general anesth. plus an epidural for pain relief. It was put in while I was under. It worked great. I never needed more than a pain pill here and there at home.
At this point, I am doing light laundry and able to eat out at restaurants - even driving there.
Soooo, don't panic. It's not a picnic, but it is easily manageable as long as you follow dr's instructions!!!!
Good luck.
Unread 04-03-2002, 10:56 AM
ahhhh

you sound like me. Last night at dinner I told my hubby through a bizillion tears I am scared and I have changed my mind.....he just laughed and said remember how you felt last Weds night, you couldnt sit on your tush, you had to go to the bathroom every ten minutes to change your tampon. You cannot change your mind this must get taken care of. So.....I am still scheduled for the 23rd. I went to finish my pre testing today and the girls in the office just laughed when they saw me walk in. The lab for the blood work is in my docs bldg so I stopped by with some more questions for them. They are so wonderful and waited til I wrote everything down. And told me to keep my chin up I was going to feel so much better after the surgery I would wonder why I didnt get it done sooner.

So heres to our anxiety....cheers...our sleepless nights...cheers and to the fact that we shall never need another tampon for the rest of our lives....LOL

sindee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 11:03 AM

Hi, Geri and Sindee! s to you! Waiting and thinking of your upcoming surgery is the worse, isn't it? I laughed about getting a spinal to inject some backbone! I'm sure you will do fine and be feeling so much better (and healthier) post op. Best wishes for smooth surgeries and good recoveries!
Ruthie
Unread 04-03-2002, 11:41 AM

I know that we talk about pain and months of recovery, but truthfully, I would do it again in a heartbeat! I still feel a bit of discomfort from time to time, but it's not a big deal and I'm so much better for the surgery in so many other ways that I can't imagine why I didn't have it done sooner!
Unread 04-03-2002, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the support!

Thanks for the responses. I know it is the right decision, and about 10 years overdue. This site is so awesome and the support is super! I will be back often. Especially if it keeps me from running screaming out of the hospital before they get started. I am such a huge baby about this. Thank goodness the benefits outweigh the anxiety and pending discomfort.

Best wishes to everyone else who is waiting! We're in this together! It's so nice having company during the wait and then after.

Gere
Unread 04-03-2002, 12:41 PM

ghirsch hon
here's a to you
I know what you mean about feeling like a baby
I was so afraid
I was not in any pain and my monthly was not bad in fact it was only three days out of the month
I had a slight prolasp and would get worse as I got older I am 42 so I found a doctor that wanted to do this for me to have a better quailty of life
let me tell you this all the things I was so afraid of did not come true
I am off all meds for pain and I am only two weeks post op to day
I am getting my engery leveles back up but I still am not doing anything just walking resting sleeping and drinking the most I do in a day is visit the hystersister site
it"s not that I don't feel like doing more I just don't I am still papamering the I feel better than I did before my sugery
I am praying that you will too
so here is another for you
hugs ladypeewee
Unread 04-03-2002, 05:15 PM
POST OP JITTERS

I am new to your board. I will be having my hysterectomy on April 9. Ovaries will be removed lap and uterus vaginal. I am so scared that I have been having nightmares. I dreamed that I went in for the surgery and the Dr. was late. When he showed up he was drunk! I put my clothes on and told him that I need a 2nd opinion. Then I dreamed that I was in the waiting room waiting on myself to be out. ( out of body hysterectomy) Sounds good to me! I cant wait to see what I dream next. If they get any weirder I may change my mind

T.Burk

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register