Pre-Op Question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Question Pre-Op Question

Unread 04-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Pre-Op Question

Hello
I love you site and I have learned a lot.
A few things about myself, I'm 39 and have been given the option of a Laparoscopic of just my left Ovary (which has a clear simple cyst and enlarged 2 times) and removal of a large polyp in my endometrial cavity or removal of my ovary and uterus leaving my right ovary, or complete removal of ovaries and uterus. Let's just say this decision has been hard. I have been bleeding for 8 weeks now and have lower back pain (we suspect endo). Anyway I think I have made a decision to keep my right ovary (we have no ovarian cancer in my family and I have not yet started menapause) just take my left ovary and uterus. My problem is all my friend are telling me that Abdominal surgery is very hard and I will get fat! I am not vain but have kept my figure and work out 5 days a week. My Dr. said she will do it Abdominal but not cut muscle. Will I ever retain a flat belly again? Or just face the fact that this is something I have to live with? And when can I start lifting weights again? Some of my friends also tell me I should find a Dr. that will do it vaginally but I love and trust the Dr. I have now.
Thanks for any support, for I'm confused.
Penelope
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 10:54 AM
Welcome!

Hi, Penelope! Welcome to HysterSisters--a most wonderful site!
It is true that abdominal hyst is a little harder to recover from (a little more pain, but manageable, and more swelling). But if your dr wants to have a good clear look inside your abdomen, she may think this method is better. Usually the muscle is not cut, but it is separated between fibers and then heals up easier. You could discuss with your dr whether she could try a vag hyst, and then if she needed to, go ahead to an abdominal incision. It is not inevitable that you gain weight after a hyst, though it is quite common as you get close to menopause. Sometimes the ovaries shut down after a hyst--could be right away or 5 years or more after. Then you could start HRT, which is good for redistributing fat away from the waistline (among the other good things it does!) I had belly swelling (we call it swelly belly here) for several months, but the worst goes down after the first 2 months. Also, I lost 10 lbs after my hyst and have kept it off, though I don't have a perfectly flat tummy (but it has never been perfectly flat!) It really varies from one woman to another. You won't start back to normal exercise routines until your dr clears you after your 6 week check, and even then you have to start back slowly and listen to your body. The initial recovery period for both abd and vag hyst is 6-8 weeks, and healing continues up to 6-12 months. So you may not feel 100% back to normal for up to a year. Good luck in making your decision. Feel free to post questions and comments here. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-03-2002, 10:56 AM
Hi Penelope

Hi, I have Endo and a fibroid tumor on my uterus, and I think that if you have no ovarian cancer in your family you should keep your right ovarie. Endo is very painful and the bleeding is no fun either but I have had 2 c-sections, and i am just now getting back into shape again, im not really small but i have improved alot than what i looked like before ,I went from 195 pounds to 135 it took me over a year or longer to get that small but I did it and my stomach is still flabby but i think with work it is possible to tone my muscles up, and if you have the surgery that will be cutting on your belly and if you are in great shape now, then eventually with time and work you will be back the way you are, it is a hard road but it can happen. So if it is really bad and you do have to have the abdomnial surgery, just think positive and you will be ok. It is your choice, dont listen to people that tell you that you will be fat, they dont know that, if you are small now and your stomach muscles are in great shap enow , then you shouldnt have much trouble to get them back in shape.
Just be positive, and things will work out for the best. Lots of 's to you.
Love,
Misty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 11:45 AM
Pre-Op Question

The surgery itself will not make you fat. If you are fit before the surgery, you will be fit afterwards. You may have a bit of a belly for a time, maybe even for several months, but it's nothing compared to what you will gain if you are bleeding that much and have pain.

I was 25 lb overweight before my surgery and started dieting and working out at 3 months post-op. I've lost 17 pounds so far and plan to lose it all by the summer. And I'm on HRT. If you are the type to watch your weight, you should have no problem keeping your figure.
Unread 04-03-2002, 02:56 PM
fitness after surgery

I also am an avid weight trainer and runner, plus I had a tummy tucky 4 years ago. My question is, "Will my abdominal hysterectomy undo the grear results from my tummy tuck?" Will my abs be permanently looser? (they were tied tight in tummy tuck)...anyone out there that has had a tummy tuck and then a hysterectomy????????

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register