Not to Happy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-03-2002, 10:38 AM
Not to Happy

My last period is on its way and should hit full force this weekend and I dread it. I am already in pain, and I can tolerate pain pretty well, but not like this.

Anyways called the doctor up for some pain medication, so I at least can get out of bed. I told the nurse the last time I was taking 6-200mg of Ibuprofen every two hours, and I was able to at least get up and go to the bathroom. This was like for 3 days and the bleeding was terrible, changed pad every 1/2 hour to an hour.

Anyways I am not to happy, they called a prescription in and what is it? 800mg of Ibuprofen, excuse me?? I was taking 1200 and it didn't help. What the hell I am not a happy camper. I knew I should have said something to my doctor before he went on vacation.

Well if I have to I will go into the emergency room. ARRRGGHH. Any suggestions???

archide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 11:13 AM
Not to Happy

Hi, Archide! I'm so sorry you are having such pain from your adeno. I know it's not imaginary and your dr should be willing to prescribe something stronger than Advil. If it was me, I would call again and tell them ibuprofen doesn't help the pain and you need something else. The squeaky wheel gets the grease! And if you have to, try the ER, though sometimes the wait to be seen there is horrendous. s and best wishes to you, dear!
Ruthie
Unread 04-03-2002, 11:23 AM
Not to Happy

i would call them again and ask for specific meds. I was allowed to take lortab up to 12 hours before my surgery (its a narcotic like percocet and darvocet). if they don't respond favorably, do go to the er. I had to do such a number of times because different doctors wouldn't come through. they supplied me with effective pain meds. and it is ok to explain to them that you have endo and are awaiting surgery. most of them respond favorably.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 11:25 AM
Not to Happy

Ibuprofen really rips up your stomach. And even 800 mg is a lot to be given at one time. You really can't take 1200 mg like you did in the past without causing some major problems. BUT, you COULD take lower doses of ibuprofen and supplement it with a narcotic. Sorry, but with that kind of pain, you're not going to be able to get around taking something that makes you drowsy. I would call them back and tell them that you'll need some additional pain meds.

Good luck! (Sounds like you will do great on your recovery if you are experiencing this kind of pain now. At least you can look forward to the pain going away in the future!)
Unread 04-03-2002, 01:44 PM
Not to Happy

I know exactly what you're saying - my ob/gyn, although he's very good, is *incredibly* reluctant to prescribe narcotic pain relievers. Between the ibuprofen and the Aleve (he prescribed that for me a couple of times), I managed to get my pain levels to a point where i could at least *move* myself around. But...I honestly don't think many men *can* understand the pain that we go through.

I really feel for you. Sipping raspberry tea helped me, as did chamomile tea and warm tummy rubs from my husband. But yeah, I still wonder why he won't prescribe anything stronger than Ibuprofen...

Hang in there - this won't last forever

Tess

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register