bladder suspension | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bladder suspension bladder suspension

Unread 04-03-2002, 04:07 PM
bladder suspension

Hi this is my first time to this sight. Just decided yesterday to have a lap assisted vaginal hyst. Was wondering if someone that has had this would tell me how it went for them.And also would like to hear from someone that has had a bladder suspension sling operation done. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 04:41 PM
bladder suspension

Hi Chris,

I didn't have the same kind of hyst as you are going to have, but I do want to welcome you to Hystersisters.

You might also post your question over on the Post-op board where you'll find lots of ladies who have already had their surgeries.

If you haven't already seen them, there are drop-down menus toward the bottom of the main page (click onto the 3 Princesses at the top left of this page). There are pre-op and post-op hints and stories that some of the ladies have written about their experiences.

Please keep on reading adn asking questions. We'll try to help.

's

Karen
Unread 04-03-2002, 05:16 PM
bladder suspension

Thanks for the welcome Karen. I appreciate it. This is a neat site, glad I found it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 04:59 AM
bladder suspension

Chris,
I had a TAH/BSO, so I can't tell you about your particular operation. But I did have the bladder suspension. I used to have to wear maxi-pads every day and would always make sure my bladder was empty. Even then, I had accidents every time I sneezed, coughed, or laughed too hard.

Immediately after the surgery after my catheter was out I noticed that I didn't leak any more. It has been great! I can now wear thong underwear without even so much as a panty-liner, and cough and sneeze all I want even with a full bladder. It took a while for me to "trust" it though and I have to admit that I avoided letting my bladder get too full for a while, out of habit.

If your experience is like mine, you're going to love the freedom you'll feel afterwards.
Unread 04-04-2002, 04:08 PM
bladder suspension

Lisa

Thanks for your reply. That sounds absolutely wonderful to cough and sneeze and laugh without worry!!

Did you have to have the abdominal hyst because of having the bladder repair, or do you know if they can do the bladder repair with a lap assisted vaginal hyst.

How long was your recovery time? I can tell you are glad you had the operation. I think I will be too, just a little nervous about it. My surgery is April 15th.

Waiting to hear from you again!
Chris
Unread 04-11-2002, 01:39 PM
Bladder suspension

Hi Chris,
I am a 68 year old active senior citizen!!! I had my surgery Jan. 25. I had a complete hysterectomy, a prolapsed uterus, a bladder suspension, a cystocele, rectocele, and enterocele repair and the doctors raised the lining of the vagina 8". This was a long time coming and I finally had enough of "everything kind of hanging out". I changed gyne doctors after 2 years of frustration and getting no where. Anyhow, I am now 2 1/2 months past surgery and feeling very well. Still take it easy doing stairs, lifting, or bending. My dear hubby still washes the floors and vacuums. Anyhow, I still have problem with "leaking". I saw the urologist this week and find that my bladder is fine, but I am having trouble with the urethra and sphincter muscles. In other words, the urethra has enlarged over the years to the point where I have trouble holding the urine, especially when I stand up from a sitting position. The doc is going to do some surgery (my hubby calls it "fine tuning") on May 29. We are going on a bus tour in three weeks and then on vacation with family in July so we will have the surgery done in between those times. He is going to put the urethra in a sling and he said this should take care of the leaking in about 90% of the time. It will just be an overnight stay. The major surgery was done through the abdomen, but this will be done through the vagina. It isn't something I'm looking forward to, but if it will keep me from wearing two large pads at a time, I am anxious to have it done. I am happy to hear you came through your surgery so well and I'm sure you will recover fast. You have your age on your side and your bladder will, most likely, heal faster than mine. Sometimes it takes a while for these old bodies to heal. In the meantime, take care of yourself and let me know you things go.

Ardene

'
Unread 04-11-2002, 01:49 PM
bladder suspension

Sorry, Chris, I didn't see your question. Actually, I don't really know, because my hysterectomy HAD to be abdominal anyway. I didn't have a choice. Sorry.
Unread 04-11-2002, 05:49 PM
bladder suspension

Ardene,

Thank you or the reply. Sounds like you had it all!!! Glad the surgery went well and hopefully the incontinence problem will be completely repaired with the "fine tuning" surgery.

I have postponed my surgery till sometime later in May. My gyn doesn't do bladder repair work so I will have to see a urologist on May 7th and they will coordinate the surgeries. I feel like I will have to have an abdominal now, but I couldn't see having the vaginal hysterectomy and not getting the bladder repaired.

Take care!!
Chris

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register