Please answer this anatomy question? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please answer this anatomy question? Please answer this anatomy question?

Unread 04-03-2002, 07:34 PM
Please answer this anatomy question?

My pre-op is tomorrow and I do plan to ask this BUT I would like to hear what you gals say about it- I don't want to be totally clueless and the DR. laugh his head off...
Looking at the anatomy of the female body- It is as follows:
Fallopian Tubes, Ovaries, Uterus, Cervix, Vagina
Don't laugh at this question but when having a TAH I realize a hysterec. is when the uterus and at times the ovaries are taken which in my case they will be...Ok what happens to the Cervix? Is it taken? and what about the fallopian tubes? They don't just hang around in mid air all alone do they...lol
I thought I read somewhere that it is good to keep your cervix to help in sexual relations....
please help with this question.
I feel like I need to go to High School again and hit sex education one more time...must have been asleep during that time.
I guess I really haven't cared because all this stuff wasn't going to be taken out.

Thanks-
runabout
(Lynne)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 07:49 PM

(((((Lynne)))))

Remember, NO question is to silly to ask...that being said

I asked my GYN the same thing almost. I had a TAH, but kept the ovaries. I asked her "so, ummm, what do the tubes do now?" See, you're not the only one She told me that she removed the tubes, but the ovaries will still be able to "spit out" (as she put it) the egg every month.

The cervix may or may not be removed. I had mine removed. That is an EXCELLENT question to ask at your pre-op appt! I really haven't noticed any difference with intercourse without it either.

The ovary removal is usually abbreviated as "BSO" or Bilateral Salphing-oophorectomy.

Ask at your pre-op whether the Dr has plans to remove the ovaries and or the cervix, you can never be to proactive when it comes to your health. Please let us know how your pre-op appt goes too.

Best of luck to you!!

Love & s
Unread 04-03-2002, 07:49 PM
Anatomy 101

Hi, Lynne--Sure am glad there are others out there like me! I didn't remember exactly about all the parts until they became a problem.

I can't answer all the questions, but I've also read what you said about keeping the cervix. My Dr. and I discussed keep/take ovaries, but we didn't talk about anything else. You can sure bet we will before I see him in surgery!

On some of the forums, there's a deal about helpful hints or something like that. Well, there'll be other websites you can click on for more info and you might find the answers there. I know...you probably want the answer quicker than that, don't ya?

Be sure to come back and tell us the answers after you go to pre-op--There wasn't going to be a test was there??!!! I would flunk for sure!

Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 07:55 PM

Run About,

To answer your question. When they remove the overies they also remove the tubes. The Cervix is total diffrent. It is a personal decision. Sometimes the doctor will alos just take out the cervix while in there. This would be a good question to ask your doctor. Ask him if he normaly removes the cervix when he/she does a hyster. Ask about your options. If you click on the surch box you can run a surch for cervix removel. To Keep it or Not. I hope I was able to help some. I am sure that there will be other sisters that will be able to offer you more help.

Angela/AngRed1
CHAT AKA:Fleyitch71
Unread 04-03-2002, 07:57 PM
Thanks-Laura Jean & Viking

Thanks for making me feel better about asking these questions. Sometimes I hesitate because of them being sooo far fetched..lol

Also thanks for the heads up on the meaning of BSO- I didnt have a clue. Wondered what it meant but never asked believe it or not.

I will inform you gals tomorrow night on the answers I get- I am looking forward to the Dr.'s face of ALL my questions. Hopefully he is used to it.

runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-03-2002, 07:57 PM

Hi Run!
Not dumb questions at all...not even sure i can answer them, but will try...lol
The Total Abdominal Hysterectomy means taking your uterus. Alot of times the cervix is taken also, but certainly not always, and I am not sure why, but is a good question for the doctor. With a TVH, the cervix has to go. When the ovaries are removed it is called a BSO (bi-lateral salpingo oopherectomy) ....removal of both tubes and ovaries or RSO (right ovary, tube removed) (LSO-left side removed).
As far as cervix and sex, you will hear stories from both sides. I had a tvh and have not noticed this difference. I hope this helps some....good luck tomorrow...let us know how it goes!
Unread 04-03-2002, 08:10 PM
WOW

thanks to all of you. I have really learned alot in the past few minutes....
I will let you know how things go-

runabout
(lynne)
Unread 04-04-2002, 04:54 AM

This is a decision everyone has to make for themselves, unless you are having a vaginal hyst, then the cervix has to go. This is the way my DR explained it to me: the cervix is not a separate organ, it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. Keeping the cervix there is still a risk for cervical cancer, and if you keep one or both ovaries there is also a chance of “mini periods”. The bladder has its own ligaments for support.
Unread 04-04-2002, 07:24 AM

I asked my DR the same question! He told me he normally takes the cervix with the uterus unless for some reason reaching the cervix will be detrimental to one of my other organs like the bladder. He is also taking the Ovaries and Fallopian tubes. I think it's individual to each of us based on the design of our bodies.

I hope this helps and GOOD LUCK and my prayers are with you for your pre-op and surgery!
Unread 04-04-2002, 07:48 AM
Total means uterus and cervix

If the T is in the abbreviation it means total (uterus and cervix). Hysterectomy refers to removal of uterus. Since the cervix is part of the uterus they use total when the cervix is taken. If the cervix is not taken the term could be partial, subtotal, or supracervical. Some abbreviations are SAH (Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy or Supracervical ab hyst)
LSH (laprascopic supracervical hyst)

TAH-Total Abdominal Hysterectomy----Removal of uterus including the cervix
TAH BSO--Total Abdominal Hysterectomy- Bilateral Salpingoopherectomy---Removal of uterus and both tubes and ovaries.
LAVH-Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy---Vaginal Hysterectomy with visualization and resection of the uterine ligaments through a scope inserted through or near the umbillicus.The uterus is then delivered through the vagina.
TVH Total Vaginal Hysterectomy ---removal of uterus and cervix through the vagina
Subtotal Abdominal Hysterectomy--removal of uterus through an abd. incision leaving the cervix intact
Supracervical Abdominal Hysterectomy---same as above

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register