Someone just tell me I'm doing the right thing! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Someone just tell me I'm doing the right thing! Someone just tell me I'm doing the right thing!

Unread 04-03-2002, 07:36 PM
Someone just tell me I'm doing the right thing!

I'm 42 years old & was just recently diagnosed with complex hyperplasia & mild atypia, as well as numerous & large fibroids (large to the point of a distending my uterus to the point of a 4 month pregnancy). My doctor wants to do a hysterectomy, noting I have a 30%-40% chance of it becoming cancerous. I've called around for 2nd opinions, & some say the combination of the 2 makes the recommendation sound correct, while other places say there are other options to try to treat this. They all seem to say that I'm "so old" that I probably couldn't have children anyway (although I really would like to yet -- where did the time go?) so just go through with the hysterectomy & then you don't have to worry about any possible cancer, especially since when pregnant with me my mother may have taken a medication to prevent a misarriage that has been found to cause cancer -- then the next person tells me that medication could have resulted in just plain old abnormal cells anyway that really aren't cancerous. I've read & read, & researched & researched & I'm just so confused, one says do it, one says don't. I' must so confused & need someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing. The hysterectomy is now scheduled for April 12th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 08:07 PM

(((((Jeandre)))))

I'm so sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with your decision. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE make sure this is the "right thing" to do for you!!

I also had fibroids and later found out that I had adeno. I was in constant pain and my periods lasted for 35-40 days at a time with maybe a 2 week space in between. I'm 35 and don't have any kiddies. It was a VERY hard decision to make for me, but I did tons of research and saw many Dr's, and did LOTS of soul searching to come to the realization that the hyst was the best thing for me. I have made total peace with the fact that I will never be able to have any bio kiddies.

Have you checked out the board of Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives? It's a message board on HS also. There you could read posts from other ladies that are trying alternative therapies before consenting to a hyst.

Neither Hystersisters.com nor myself are pro or con about hysterectomies, we ARE a supportive group of ladies watching out for one another to make sure Ladies In Waiting know there may be other options available to them.

Please don't let others influence your decision in this. This has to be YOUR decision, I don't think I can stress that enough...I say this only because you said in your post that you would possibly like to have more children. Please visit the other boards and read the posts, keep posting your questions.

For me the hyst was the best thing in the world to do, but for others it may not be the right choice.

I wish you much luck in your research and if I can offer you any additional help, please feel free to email me. The one thing you'll find on HS, there are always plenty of hugs and support!

Love & Hugs,
Unread 04-03-2002, 08:14 PM

Hi Jeandre,
s for you...this can be a most difficult place to be in making this decision. I don't think anyone here will tell you your decision is the right or wrong one. You will have to decide and come to terms with it yourself. You are doing the right thing though, by getting informed about your conditions, so that you can have all the facts before deciding. I guess my feeling is, that you may just need to keep searching and asking questions until you get what you need. Is there a reason that you scheduled a surgery date already? If you decide you are not ready by that date, you can always reschedule too. Hang in there...keep asking...all the best to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Hi Jeandre

Boy do I wish I had a crystal ball. I would love to be able to tell you what to do and that it was the right thing. You know I can't do that. Let me atleast offer a

I think ~Si has a valid suggestion. Get more opinions and then way them all out. You are probably already on information overload. But here is a previous thread that will give you more food for thought. Take a look at the last post.

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=53451

Take a day to yourself and go somewhere quiet and let God whisper in your ear. The answer is there.

Wishing you peace.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register