confused about ultrasound | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

confused about ultrasound confused about ultrasound

Unread 04-04-2002, 04:09 AM
confused about ultrasound

Hi again,

I just came from my pre-op appointment. I am so confused now. :confuse: The dr. gave me the results of an ultrasound that I had done on March 22 as a requirement for surgery. He said the report shows that I have "an essentially normal uterus although very large." The dr. also strongly disagrees with this report based on the physical exam he and my pcp did and my symptoms. They include periods anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks apart, heavy bleeding (soaking a pad every hour) leading to anemia every month and clots the size of a tangerine. I also have severe cramping and back pain. Sometimes the periods will last for 6 or 7 days or they may be as short as 2 days. However, when I flow for a short time, I feel as though I am still flowing but nothing is coming out except for a watery discharge. I have always had a regular period right up to about 3 years ago when all of this started. He also did an endrometrial biopsy as requirement for surgery during this appt. Dr. recommended going ahead with TAH although he said he may be able to do LAVH but I might end up with incision anyway due to the size of uterus. He left the decision up to me as we have approval for everything from insurance co. I have decided to go ahead with TAH as I feel he may find something else once he can see inside me and he agreed because of size of uterus. No surprise incisions that way.

Have any of you had this experience before? I'm not sure now if this is the right thing to do. It seems like unnessecary surgery but if I can get some relief from the bleeding it will be worth it.

Thanks, Judy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 04:42 AM

Hi Judy!

The most important part of all this is for you to feel comfortable with your decision.

In many cases, diagnoses can be unclear until surgery is performed, unfortunately. I had ultrasounds that showed my tumor, but did not show the adenomyosis and all the fibroids that were discovered during my surgery.

Since this is major surgery, if you're having second thoughts, please exercise your option to seek second, maybe even third opinions, until you are comfortable with the DR's recommendations, whatever they may be.

Wishing you all the best, knowing you will make the decision that is right for you.

HUGS,
Unread 04-04-2002, 04:43 AM

Hi Judy,

Ultrasound is a useful tool, but it has it's limitations. My last ultrasound, in December, only showed 3 fibroids and cysts on my right ovary. My uterus was also enlarged.

My uterus was much actually much larger than the ultrasound showed; presented my DR with quite a challenge to remove it via a bikini cut. Pathology report showed many, many fibroids, a polyp, and both ovaries were multicystic. The tissue was also extremely thickened. My uterus weighed 380 grams, normal is less than 50 grams.

I had a lot of the same symptoms you described, the heavy periods, lots of enormous clots, severe cramps. I was on provera to control the bleeding, to keep the period to a 'normal" length of time, but last October even that stopped working and DR said it was time. I was taking 150mg iron 3x day before surgery, now 2x day til I run out, then a blood test to make sure I'm back to normal.

I am 8 weeks post op now. I must have felt really crummy and tired before, it comes on so gradual you don't notice it, I feel great now.

Reading some other sisters symptoms I would think mine aren't so bad, but it became a quality of life decision. I can make vacation plans and not worry that I might have another period from hell (46 days), don't have to plan 3 or 4 days a month to never be far from a bathroom. None of my immediate post op discomfort compared to the horrible cramps I would have during my period.

Oh, the watery discharge: a couple of months ago there was an unscientific name here for it - "fibroid-aid".

Good luck with your decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 04:45 AM
sounds familiar

Hello Judy,
So many things can be confusing when you are scheduled for surgery.
I had fibroids, the heaviest of bleeding, and i am anemic big time.
For years my doctors kept trying different things on me. I finally got new doctors through our new insurance at work, and they acted immediately. They let me know all of my options.
On February 11th, i had a partial hyst. I kept my ovaries and i dont have to take any hormones. It was the best thing i ever did.
I think you should meet again with your doctor, and go over your options very carefully. This is a decision that only you can make, but its always best to know everything.
I wish you all the best.
Dee
Unread 04-04-2002, 05:04 AM

It sounds very frustrating, and if confused go with a second opinion, or ask the doctor to do an MRI, which shows alot more than an ultrasound.

Maybe these options will lead you to make a decision

Good luck! Just remember life is always full of choices and decisions, and it always works out for the best!

Archide

Unread 04-04-2002, 08:12 AM

Hi Judy!

Has your doctor performed the laposcopic procedure (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). It's the procedure they do where they make a small incision near your pelvic area, one in your belly button for the scope and one on your lower front side (the pelvic area and side one is for "tools"). Any way, they go in, take photos, see what's going on in there, etc.

The reason I ask is that for the past three years, I've had ultrasounds (vaginal and regular ones) and they've shown small cysts, etc but in November, I was in extreme pain which put me in the hospital and after several tests (cat scan, etc) my obgyn recommended the lapo procedure to see what was going on (originally it was thought that my appendix was giving me grief).

After the procedure, she found I have an enlarged uterus, ONE FIBROID larger than my actual uterus, endo, adhered ovary, etc etc etc. It just confirmed for me that the next step was the way for me to go and I have no doubts now because I actually saw the photo - let me tell you - GROSS. lol

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register