Reading for Children | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Reading for Children Reading for Children

Unread 04-04-2002, 07:19 AM
Reading for Children

Howdy everyone,

I just got my date today for my surgery and my question is: Is there a good book that I could get for my daughter to explain about the surgery? She is 6 and very upset that I will be going into the hospital as she has seen me at my worst with severe migraines and that really scared her. I was violently ill.

Any help would be great.

I am having TAH& BSO

Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 09:39 AM
Reading for Children

Hi Sharon..I am a teacher for 31 so have come across quite a few books dealing with hospitals and surgery. If you go to amazon.com and do a search in children books there are quite a few books listed about surgery and hospital visits and you might find one suitable for your daughter. Try typing in SOCIAL SITUATIONS-HOSPITAL for example. Hope things go well for you. Karen
Unread 04-04-2002, 09:58 AM
Reading for Children

Hi Sharon!
I do not know of any books, but you could try calling the hospital and arranging a tour. You and your daughter could then see the gadgets and rooms. That may help put her mind at ease. Explain to the hospital what you are trying to do. I know that for children that are going to the hospital, this is done and I think they would be sensitive to your request. I think for a 6 year old, I would also keep the details to a minimum and ask her if she has any questions or worries and then address them. It just amazes me how imaginative they can be! Depending on your daughter and you, you may also want to give some thought on whether or not she should visit you while you are in there. For some children, it can be reassuring (as long as they are prepared) and for others it is just not a good idea. Frequent phone calls home can be an alternative to childrens visits. I opted for mine staying home and I was glad I did. I hope this give some more ideas. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 11:52 AM
Reading for Children

Hi. I have a very attached 8 yr old daughter and I was very concerned about what to do with her on my surgery date. The closer the date came , the more upset she became. I explained to her that I was going to have surgery and that a part that I didn't need any more and could live without , just like tonsils and appendix , was going to be taken. This helped her very much. I wrote here asking other sisters opinions on if I should take her to the hospital or not and the majority said yes take her.
When the time came, She did go with me , she saw me immediately before and then after I returned from recovery. It made such a difference to her knowing and seeing that I was ok that she went to school at lunch time and finished the day after being up since 5:00 a.m. She also has one great teacher that had a special project for her to do ( making tissue paper flowers). Any way , I was glad that I let her come. ( She's so attached to me that she won't stay all night with friends yet.She gets too homesick) Use your own instincts on what to tell her and what to do , and you will be right.
Best wishes to you --- Terri (TVH/BSO 3-18)
Unread 04-04-2002, 08:48 PM
How to tell the kids...

I really appreciated this post because I have a whole bunch of 6, 7, and 8 year olds--I teach 1st grade

It does my heart good to see someone turn to a book on how to deal with a situation with their child!

I know I'll need to say SOMETHING to my class before I leave (last day Friday, April 26th). I know it should be real brief, non-graphic, and matter-of-fact. But I haven't quite decided exactly what to say. Any clues on how to inform a roomful of kids? I'm not expecting that I'll be released to come back to work for the rest of the school year, except for maybe a last day of school kind of visit. I know I'll need to send some kind of note home to parents, and that's gonna be brief, too. Although I don't want parents to worry about their kids, etc., etc.

So much to think about! Getting ready at home for hyst, getting ready at school to be out... and I'm so tired!
Unread 04-04-2002, 09:15 PM
Reading for Children

I am so glad to see someone else post on this question! I have been a little afraid to post all my ??? . I have an 8 yo daughter, 5 yo son and twin 4 yo girls that I am for 1)not sure what hubbie and I are going to do with while I am in since we live an hour away from the hospital and 2) how upsetting would it be for them to see me in that position or other women to see small children after this procedure. I will be on the "women's floor" - its set up especially for these kinds of operations. I don't want to upset my children or other women!

Well - I will end this with a laugh. We were trying to explain to the kids what was going to happen soon - that mommy was going to the hospital for a surgery (tah/bso - vertical incision) and my son popped off - are you going to buy another baby? Last time you came home with the stinky twinkies. Can I have a brother this time? We about died! Sorry, just wanted to share some humor in a stressful time of our lives....
Unread 04-04-2002, 09:27 PM
carey

That's wonderful that you now have your date set!! woooohooooo...congrats!!!

I know how it is with having little ones...my 3 yr old dd...didn't really understand until we were able to take her to the hospital, not so much to show that this is the place mommie will be for a few days...It, just ended up working out like that...lol...was visiting someone else!

Now, don't kids say the darnness things!!!! lol....they sure think up so good ones...lol

Sending my thoughts and prayers with you on this uneventful trip to the castle....We, will all be with you in spirit!

Sisterly Love & Hugs....
Unread 04-05-2002, 05:31 PM
still book searching

To my ventures on the books for kids, I did searches of all that I could think of with really not much pertaining to my hospital trip. My daughter isn't afraid of the hospital, as I have been admitted a number of times for a week duration for most of a year now. They really were severe migraines.

I have also asked the school and counselors for some input and they are now searching as well. I will be heading to Borders to see what they can come up with.

Books to me are the best, my daughter loves us reading to her and her reading to us.

One interesting book that I did find (not pertaining to this subject matter) was about losing teeth. Doctor Maisy looked kinda ok, ordered it to see if it would help.

I will keep ya posted

TAH/BSO April 29

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register