hysterectomy-- no support at home. | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy-- no support at home. hysterectomy-- no support at home.

Unread 04-04-2002, 09:26 AM
hysterectomy-- no support at home.

hi. i am misti and twenty-nine. this is my first post here. i am not married and have no children-- and don't really want either.
i was diagnosed w/ endometriosis in july of last year. my gynecologist had suspected i had it earlier, and put me on the pill. it worked for a while, but now it isn't working. i have a period all the time. this is the 27th day of my current period.
i suffer from depression, and this bleeding is driving me insane.
i have tried going off the pill, but it makes me horribly sick-- i have flu-like symptoms, my depression becomes psychotic, i have hot-flashes........

my gynecologist has suggested a hysterectomy--- a TAH BSO-- (i think that is right.) b/c i have follicular cysts, too.

well, i am really scared. when i had a laparscopy, the doctor said i would be recovered in 2-3 days..... (i also had my appendix removed)..... but it took me two weeks. i have a very low tolerance for pain. she said she would give me an epidural so i wouldn't feel pain when i woke up and put me on a morphine drip for three days-- then i would come home.

well, i live w/ my mother and sister----- both work all day and couldn't take time off. then, i am allergic to vicodin and codiene.
i am not sure about percocet. i don't have anyone who could help me during the day....

what i need to know is, would you just keep having periods all the time? or have the surgery? if i have the TAH BSO---- how bad is the pain and for how long? i have no idea what to expect... i have never had major surgery...... lastly, since i go nuts when i go off the pill, is that what i should expect during menopause?

you can e-mail me personally----
sylvia_plaths_melancholia@yahoo.com

i am terrified, sad, and tired of bleeding.

HELP!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 09:45 AM

Hi there. This is something you must decide for yourself. I've been going through a similar situation with the bleeding. However, in my case I'm losing too much blood and my blood count is very low. Have you had any blood tests to make sure that your iron level is ok? You can become anemic without even being aware of this and it is very scary and dangerous. Are you tired all the time? Do you get breathless? I suggest going to see your doctor and getting some blood work. Explain that you have been bleeding a lot. Take care, RosieG
Unread 04-04-2002, 10:10 AM

I can't give you advice on the pain of a hysterectomy since mine isn't until the 16th, but I can let you know that I too had a laporoscopy that the DR told me I would recover from in a couple of days! Well, I ended up taking over a week off from work and seemed to drag for a couple of weeks. I've also been taking percocet during the past year when I've been in severe pain from endometriosis. I finally came to the conclusion that it was the pain pills that knocked me off my feet for so long with the lap - how do I know? Because when I take percocet for the pain, I may be bedridden for a day or two from the pain (which is reduced, not completely eliminated with percocet), but it takes me TWO days, at least, to recover from the side effects of the pills! They have a terrible effect on my system and I'm determined to get by after my TAH with as minimal reliance on pain pills as possible. And I live alone and will be alone, except for people checking in on me occasionally, but I'm going to bear as much pain as I can so as to limit the use of pain pills and the awful withdrawal from them.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I finally came to be at peace with a hysterectomy because I couldn't stand the pain of the endometriosis and the severe and prolonged bleeding because of the fibroids. I'm just counting on life being better with these things out of my life!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 10:28 AM

I had a lap when I was 17 and it took me a week to recover, which embarrassed me because my doc had told me about a patient who had a lap and went on stage to perform ballet that evening! Why do docs do that?

I had an LAVH (kept ovaries) 3 weeks ago -- and for me, the pain has been substantially less than from my lap (which included a D&C). When I woke up from my lap, the pain was an 8 on a scale of 1-10. When I woke up from my hyst, the pain was a 1 or 2. Go figure.

In terms of your dilemma, I'd say if there are other treatment options (like endometrial ablation?), maybe consider them first. Otherwise, why put it off? If it isn't going to get better, and there's nothing else you can do to fix it, you're going to have to deal with it some day. Why not now when you're young and healthy, before you get really sick from constant blood loss? I'm not trying to talk you into it, just sorta playing devil's advocate. If you're not ready now, that's reason enough.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-04-2002, 10:41 AM
Hi Misti

Welcome to HysterSisters, you have come to the right place.
I am sorry you are going through all this at such a young age. We are here to give you the support you need in making your decision.
Yes, surgery is a scary thing to face. As you keep reading here you will see many woman who post after their surgery that "waiting was the worst part".
A life free of bleeding, pain, exhaustion etc. is alot to look forward to. I have no regrets. And we are all different but I had very little pain. Soreness yes, but pain no.The anesthesia and morhphine push button I had in the hospital worked very well.
You will be up and walking, going to the bathroom and probably showering in the hospital before you come home. You should be able to manage just fine during the day on your own.
Ask your doctor about hormone replacement. Again we are all different. I didn't start the patch until I was 5 weeks post op and did not have too many symptoms. Fewer than before surgery.
Please do have your doctor check your Iron levels if you haven't done so already. I know how miserable anemia is to live with and certainly contributes to the exhaustion and depression.
There is lot's of information on the home page towards the bottom in the pull down menu's. Here is a link on some questions for your doctor:
http://www.hystersisters.com/questions.php
Keep reading and posting. There is so much great information here that we hope will give you some peace of mind.
Unread 04-04-2002, 10:25 PM

Hi
This is a tough one. But I want you to know I am the biggest whimp. I put this off so long I was passing donut size clots and my anemia number was 8 when I first went to the Dr's. They transfuse people at 7. Eventually the misery outweights the fear of surgery. I was scared. I took one day at a time, set goals for that day. Getting out of bed bymyself was one, inspite of the pain. The misery passes pretty fast. I know I am already better. My next stress day is getting the staples out. I am not even allowing myself to look at them or think about it until that day. That is how big of a whimp I am. I also live alone. I totally prepared. All house work is done, all food in ready. I do have people who come by to visit and do what they can. My son is staying the night. He put my socks on my feet today. But he is good company. You can take care of yourself and since someone one else is there to help if you need it you will probably be ok. Do some homework on the hormones. I am lucky and have had no problem with that so far but it sounds like a little preparing for that in advance may be helpful. Look into the hormone jungle info. Find a Dr who also feels this is important. When your ready you will do it, what ever it is that you decide to do.
Best of luck
Linda
Unread 04-05-2002, 07:33 AM

thank you for all of your advice. i suppose i am so worried b/ c i have fibromyalgia too. if i overdo my stretches, i am in terrible pain for 4 or 5 days.

i suppose you are right... about just getting it taken care of.
i don't like doctors... .... errrrrrr!

my surgery will be sometime in June. my gyn sees me the end of may, and i don't want to make an appt. to see her earlier.

i know this sounds hokey, but i think i will look on the farmer's almanac to see which day is best for surgery! i heard on television that tuesday was the best day to have a surgery-- i wonder if a good tuesday is in the farmer's almanac. (yeah-- im from the south!)

(((hugs)))

misti
Unread 04-05-2002, 08:18 AM

This is a very personal decision for every woman and you are right to make sure that you are making the right one. But of course, you know that and are really asking us "if all things being equal, was it worth it?"

In my case, it would be a resounding YES! The pain from surgery would be worst just afterwards, but you will be on an epidural and won't feel it! It is not necessary to only rely on narcotics for pain relief. I found that an anti-inflammatory worked much better for pain relief when I got home. The narcotics just made me dopey and really didn't relieve the pain.

As for how bad the pain is, well I imagine it varies for everyone and depends on your pain tolerance. I'm a BIG BABY and found that with anti-inflammatory medicine it was just minor. Heating pads on the belly worked wonders also. The pain starts to subside rather quickly after a couple of weeks and some women have reported feeling no pain after a week or so.

And finally, now that it's six months post op, I've never been happier in my life about any decision I've made. I feel great and energetic and don't plan my life around periods anymore!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register