Larger than the average woman | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Larger than the average woman Larger than the average woman

Unread 04-04-2002, 10:52 AM
Larger than the average woman

Greetings! I am new to this site and am most grateful to have found it! I have a question that I have not seen answered yet--and I have read a lot of the postings.

I am waiting to get a surgery date for a TAH (ovaries optional at this point)...my concern is that I am a BIG person. I have been going to Weight Watchers and have lost 11 lbs, but as I anticipate surgery coming up sooner than I can lose 100+, I was wondering how that will affect my incision and post-op mobility. Is there anyone out there that has "been there - done that" who can give me any tips/hints on this?

Thanks in advance for any info imparted! (smile) lg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 11:18 AM

This is a topic that gets brought up from time to time. There are a lot of "larger" ladies here, and I include myself in that group. I'm about 40-50# overweight and I didn't have any troubles with my incision or mobility after surgery, except from the surgery.

If you go to the top of the screen to the purple buttons, click on the one labeled "search" and enter a key word or words. You will get a list of threads that have that word in it. Some of them may or may not be what you are looking for. If you go back to the beginning of Feb I know you will find one or two threads relating to this topic.

There is a forum under Hysteritaville Safari Resort & Fitness Center called B.E.S.T. that is a weight loss support group. They can give you advice and support. Several of the sisters are on WW's, some other programs, and some just trying on thier own. There is also a Wednesday night chat.

Good luck, and welcome
Unread 04-04-2002, 03:07 PM

Hi there,
I am a 'larger woman' - about 70lbs overweight at least, we use kilos in : so I'm having a wild guess at 35 kg overweight.

Had surgery on 22 March so I'm exactly 2 weeks post op today. Had no complications re healing, mobility etc. In fact, my incision healed so well that they had problems getting the suture out 10 days post op.

I have lost 6kg. about 1stone since the op and fully intend keeping it off. I guess this surgery has been a bit of a wake up call. I now have a very healthy, albeit overweight, 44 year old body so I have decided to take care of it a little better. I guess I have been eating healthy foods for years just far too much!

Good luck with your surgery.

Diana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 03:23 PM

I too am a very large woman in the 100+ range. The biggest problem is getting up out of bed but that will get easier as time goes on. Also keeping clean around the surgery area. Tummy is heavy and falls over the mark. It seems a little sore from having to lift it.
Other than that I haven't had much of a problem.
Good luck. Will be praying for you
Unread 04-04-2002, 03:27 PM
Been there--done that!!

Dear Laura.

Welcome to the best site!!!!! Glad that you found us.

I am now 5 weeks post-op from a TAH/BSO. And I feel great.

Like you, I could stand to lose 100 lbs. I also have hypertenstion and I am on Blood pressure meds. I am also 47 Years young now. I had Endometriosis (stageII), multiple fibroids, and adenomyosis.

I had no problem with my surgery. Stay ahead of your pain with your pain meds. I did develope an infection in my incision about week after the surgery. I was on an antibotic and had to clean it twice a day. That has now healed fine. I had trouble with insomina, like alot of ladies, but that is now gone also. No problem with mobility, as a matter of fact I am now walking a mile a day, if the weather is nice. The doctor is amaze at my recovery.

I did all the right things after surgery, I rested with my feet up, I took naps (and still do sometimes), drink lots of fluid and that will make you get up and walk. Then you can go back and rest . I was lucky to have my mom live with me, so she got to take care of her baby girl. BUT, She is ready for me to get back to work.

So, Laura, don't worry, US BIG GALS CAN RECOVER NICELY!!!

Good luck on your upcoming surgery.

Nancy
Unread 04-04-2002, 03:29 PM

I am also "larger than average" - and I haven't had any unusual problems getting around and getting up and down. Just have to be careful, like everyone else. I did go see the doc about 3 1/2 weeks after the surgery, and he was really surprised at how well I was healing - my incision looked great, and I attribute some of that to my showers - we have one of those waterpik shower heads that is flexible, so you can bend them around and aim them - I aimed mine at my incision, and had the water very warm, but not uncomfortably hot. And not on any massage setting - just a gentle, warm spray. I would stand in the shower for a while, just letting the "water therapy" do it's thing, and I really think it helped a lot.

As a nice, unexpected side effect, I have lost 25+ pounds since my surgery, 2/28. I think it's because I've been making an effort to eat better and I also feel uncomfortable if I eat much at a time, which is a great limitation. I know if I have more than just a little bit, no matter how much I like it, I'm going to feel sore = so I don't.

I don't think everyone loses that much, but believe me, I could stand to lose a WHOLE lot more, and as time goes on, I intend to continue this trend.

Drink lots of water and juice, and eat lots of fruits and veggies!

Debbie
Unread 04-04-2002, 05:43 PM

Hello!
I too am about 40-50 pounds over what I should be. I rapidly put on weight about the same time I started having all the problems with my fibroids. In about 6- 8 months I gained around 35 pounds. I have tried everything to take it off, but it must like me cause it won't leave! I hope that maybe after surgery my body will be more receptive to the weight loss. If any one has any ideas, I would love to hear about them. Thanks

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register