Pre-op appt. 4-4...Now emotions are setting in!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op appt. 4-4...Now emotions are setting in!!! Pre-op appt. 4-4...Now emotions are setting in!!!

Unread 04-04-2002, 01:14 PM
Pre-op appt. 4-4...Now emotions are setting in!!!

Today I went to my pre-op appointment with my 2 pages of questions in hand....lol The Dr. finally came in after I sat there for approx. 45 min. I told him he was going to hate me because I had been reading up on Hysterec. and had ALOT of questions.
He told me to go ahead and start asking and of course I did.

He answered everything I asked-
He said I would be under general anestesia (sp?)
He did go ahead and give me my prescript. that I would need when coming home- (Percocet)
I explained I was due for Ms. Monthly to visit the week before surgery and told him I normally take Ibuprohen but he gave me a prescript for Vioxx to take instead-
Then I went into asking him time limits on driving, outings, stairs, ect. He just replied as soon as I feel up to it....?...
I asked about the weight limit I should be lifting- He said he doesn't like to pin point a weight...as long as I don't over do it and be careful....
Said showers for 2 weeks then I can do baths-
He did explain the procedure. He said if he got in there and ovaries are in good shape he may leave them. Would take Tubes, Cervix and Uterus for sure- depends on the amount of endo. that has came back as far as ovaries if they stayed or went.....
Incession would be horizontal-
He gave me the impression that after 2 weeks I would feel fine. (Of course I realize this varies with each person)
He said the first day I would be pretty much out of it until maybe evening- next day would be getting up

I guess my pre-op went good. He did kinda throw me by not pin pointing times to do things, ect. (stairs, driving, outings,ect.) I really thought he would act more strict on those but maybe he realizes it is up to each individual-I figured with this being (in my opinion a major surgery) he would lay the law down...lol- I just plan to take it easy and not do too much at a time. I guess I am way more nervious about this than he is...lol

I then had to go to the hospital for admission, blood test, ect.
The lady who did the bloodwork said since my surgery is still a few weeks off they couldn't do one of them today because it must be done within so many days before surgery...she said they could do that one the morning of- something about blood scan to see my "TYPE"- they did draw two other tubs- I asked what where they going to do with them. One is to make sure I am not pregnant before surgery is done and the other I can't remember what she said it was for. I didn't get to talk to anestesilogist (sp?)
today- they said I would the morning of...

Luckly I wasn't there too long- I think once I left and started home reality started kicking in....I was happy but scared. Anxious but nervious....I think the closer it gets I will cope with things in a better way.

thanks
runabout
(Lynne)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 03:08 PM
Pre-op appt. 4-4...Now emotions are setting in!!!

Hi Lynne,

The actual discharge orders may have more detailed instructions as far as time for driving and stuff. Maybe he waits to see how the actual procedure amd recovery time in the hospital goes.

After the first two weeks I was definitely feeling better, but I wasn't ready to jump back into life with both feet. I was still spending a lot of time resting, but I did feel better and better with each passing day.

Recovery varies with each individual, but go slow and don't do any more than you are comfortable with. When your body says rest, REST.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register