Period conflict? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Period conflict? Period conflict?

Unread 04-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Period conflict?

I finally got the date for my surgery, after waiting a full week after finding out that I will need it. It's May 24. While I was hoping it would be sooner, to get it over with, I can deal with that. EXCEPT--that it means I will have certainly one more and possibly two more awful periods before surgery! Now, what, if any, complications might there be if I am at the worst of my period when surgery is scheduled? I can't count on my period being regular--anywhere from 23 to 29 days is normal for me. Has anyone else been on their final period when they go into surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Period conflict?

I am sooo glad you asked this question, I was wondering the same thing! I am scheduled for April 16th and my last period is due April 15th....
Unread 04-04-2002, 01:38 PM
Period conflict?

While we wait for a veteran's response, isn't it nice to think of it as being our 'final' period -- for the rest of our lives!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 01:38 PM
Period conflict?

if all goes as planned my surgery is scheduled for april 25 when I will have my period... surgeon says its no problem....
I guess the hospital will just have you put a pad between your legs until you get in there... my pre op isn't for a week so i don't know what the story is but I know the gyn says its fine
Unread 04-04-2002, 01:39 PM
Period conflict?

Teddy, Can't you get a sooner date? I bleed over 3 weeks out of the month. I had a TAH. I was told it did not mtter for this surgery if I was bleeding or not. Check with your Dr. Good luck Angela
Unread 04-04-2002, 01:41 PM
Pain is more of a concern than bleeding

This happens all the time and it's really no big deal. The main concern would be if you are on any painkillers. I was taking a narcotic painkiller vicodin (tylenol and hydrocodone) every 4 hours or I would be miserable but due to the no eating after midnight rule I couldn't take it after then especially since I had to eat something with it to minimize stomach irritation. Realize that you will probably go into surgery and come out feeling better than you did when you first went in. You probably won't be allowed to take ibuprophen, Advil, aspirin or the likes several weeks before surgery due to it being a blood thinner but ask your dr. if he can recommend or prescribe something to get you through the pain till surgery. You don't have to be miserable in pain if that's a big concern. Since we aren't allowed to wear underware into surgery, the nurses just gave me a chuck which is a big pad on the bed similar to what they use for to absorb fluids during a delivery of a baby. There is a really funny story on here about lost panties if I could find it I'll post the link.
Unread 04-04-2002, 01:42 PM
Period conflict?

I wish I could get a sooner date, but since I'm not really miserable and someone else might be, I'll wait. I have an enlarged ovary that must come out and a uterus the size of a 3 month pregnancy, so I'm looking at TAH. I'm undecided about the other ovary. It looks like the TAH might hasten menopause anyway, so I may as well have both removed. Is that the general consensus here?
Unread 04-04-2002, 01:47 PM
Lost panties story

Read the response from Anyonebut

http://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...t=lost+panties
Unread 04-04-2002, 01:58 PM
Period conflict?

Thanks. That's what I needed--reassurance AND a good laugh. This place is great.
Unread 04-04-2002, 02:56 PM
Me Too!

You know, except for the surgery date, I could have written your post! I just got the final date for my surgery too after waiting a whole week. It's May 23, just the day before yours. I thought at first it would be May 8, but that date was already taken.

My first thought too was having to go through one or two more horrendous, horrible periods and being on my period when I go for surgery. I was almost whining at the nurse on the phone trying to get her to book me earlier. (I'm sure she's used to dealing with hysterical hystersisters. It's a wonder she didn't ask me if I wanted cheese with that whine!)

Since I take Provera in ten day cycles, my period always starts right around the 22nd. Luckily, it's usually light for the first five or six days then I start hemorrhaging for the next five or six days. The last three or four days, is kind of Russian Roulette, with me thinking it's stopped, and it fooling me when I least need or expect it. Then I have a few days off, back on the Provera, and back to bleeding again. I'll be so glad to be through with the whole mess!!!!!!!!

At least it will have just started on May 23, and not being going on for awhile. Should be pretty light.

Don't worry about the bleeding part. The doctors are used to it. And just think, that will be the end of that! And we'll be going to the castle almost at the same time, won't we.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register