Period conflict? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Period conflict? Period conflict?

Unread 04-04-2002, 03:51 PM
Period conflict?

They're right - it doesn't matter if you're bleeding or not. I was, and when I was in pre-op just before the surgery and had to undress, I asked the nurse about it, as I had a pad stuck to my panties. She gave me one of those big old mattress types and just had me put it where it belonged. It's no problem at all. The medication is different - I agree call the doc. I used to take Vioxx, and couldn't take it beforehand. Luckily for me, the last one wasn't as bad as usual, so I got away without taking anything - just gritting my teeth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 04:21 PM
Re: Period conflict?

Teddy, and other ladies:

I too had this problem!! I asked my Dr. about it about 3 weeks pre-op ( because I just knew this would happen ). I was scheduled for a TVH/BSO ( ended up having a TAH/BSO ), but either way he said it would make no difference if I "started".
Sure enough I started my period 2 days before surgery!! And although I felt a little embarassement, you do wear a PAD to surgery -- once my IV was in, I really didn't care -- you remember nothing from then on!

So don't worry about that ladies, your surgery team will take care of you ( they even returned my panties !! ). And best of all, remember, this is your last painful period !!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew I wasn't going to reschedule this surgery, no matter what!! But if you have questions about it, ask your Dr. at least a couple days in advance of your surgery. I never knew, after I was out, "who took care of the deed" -- but no one embarassed me after! So DON'T let a period set you back from your scheduled date !! Best of luck to all of you who were seeking an answer to this question, and are have your surgeries soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers.......

Jubilee -- 44yrs. old, TAH/BSO for cervical carcinoma insitu, huge fibroids, and endo. Surgery 8/21/01
Unread 04-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Period before surgery

Currently on my last period with surgery scheduled for Tuesday, April 9th... It has been so heavy along cramping all day...I'm just trying to stay calm for the surgery next week.
Be encouraged.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 05:55 PM
Periods and Surgery

Teddy,

How strange it was for me to see your question. As a matter of fact, I WILL be on my 2nd day (the HEAVIEST) of my period on the day of my surgery. Doctor's office said that there is no problems with this. I originally had my surgery scheduled for 3/21/02, but I got the flu and surgery had to be postponed. However, like I said, I am having my surgery on April 9th and that will be day 2 for me.

I was so celebrating my last 'monthly' thinking that I was finally done! Ha! That's a laugh, of course I would suffer yet another one. Well, part of one anyway.

I wish you the best on you pending surgery and a speedy recovery!

's,

Noël
Unread 04-05-2002, 03:53 AM
Ibuprofen and Periods

My doctor told me to take Ibuprophen during my heavy periods. Supposedly, it reduces the blood flow, though I don't think it worked with me at all.

Has anyone else heard of this?
Unread 04-05-2002, 03:54 AM
Idea

I just had a brilliant (for me) idea!!

I'm taking Provera ten days out of the month, and my period always starts on the 10th day, and my surgery is scheduled for the 11th day of the cycle. This means an almost certain guarantee that I'll be on my period on the day of my surgery.

Why couldn't I just start taking the Provera a couple of days later and postpone the dreaded period. I mean, what's it going to do, mess up my cycle? After the surgery, it won't matter!!

Hmmm, I think I'll check with my doctor and see if this will work. I'll let you know what he says just in case there's any other sisters in this same situation.
Unread 04-05-2002, 08:55 AM
Period conflict?

Hi Shashi,
I would definitely ask your dr. about this. My dr. specifically told me he wanted me on my first couple weeks of the menstrual cycle because recovery was better that way. My nurse even refused to schedule the surgery a day before my period was supposed to be here so I had to schedule it a week later (dr. only did surgery on Monday's and my period was due on the Tuesday) to make sure I had my period. Actually I was about 3 days later than I thought because I couldn't drive the kids to school that Friday before the Monday's surgery due to being drugged up and bleeding. It's good that I planned ahead to do my pre-op before I was supposed to start. With that said they still had to do a pregnancy the morning of surgery because they forgot to do it at pre-op. Please do check.
Unread 04-05-2002, 01:44 PM
Period conflict?

Oh yes, I just started my final period today, and I dreaded it! I am in so much pain, the doctor finally prescribed me darvocets.

This pain is just unbelievable, and I usually can tolerate pain, but wow! Anyways with this pain, I just keep looking at the Calendar and my date for surgery and smile, it is a positive thing!

Doc said this would happen, my uterus is the size of a 16 week pregnancy, but I swear it doubles during menstruation! Adenomyosis.

Hang in there All!!!!

archide

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register