what can I expect? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what can I expect? what can I expect?

Unread 04-04-2002, 03:25 PM
what can I expect?

Hello, I am new to this site. I came here hoping to get answers to my many questions.
I'm scheduled for SAH the week of May 20th; no exact date yet.

I understand the procedure medically, but I have so many questions/fears about what I will experience in terms of pain, discomfort, nausea. I've also never ever had an inpatient procedure before, so the whole hospital thing is un-nerving me a bit.

Anyway, I understand I will have a pre-op appointment where I can ask questions. But since my surgery is over a month away, it will be a while before I see the MD again. I don't want to overwhelm the board with questions, but for those of you who have been through it, can you give me an idea of what to expect pre-op? What happens at these pre-op appointments, what tests do you have done? What can I do to prepare, physically and mentally, for a good recovery?

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 03:42 PM
what can I expect?

My pre-op with the doc was an internal exam- to check nothing had changed and then me reading thru my list of ? which she answered and made me feel alot better.
Then I went to hosp for blood work- didn`t need chest x-ray or EKG because I had all this less than 4 months prior for another surgery.
Depending on Doctor everyone is different.

I planned fun things I could do during recovery as well as work I could do sitting down with no lifting.That helped me follow doctor`s orders and have a better recovery time.
check the scroll down menus for more info to help you plan ahead and don`t worry about asking ? that is what this site is for.
Paula
Unread 04-04-2002, 03:42 PM
what can I expect?

I think some of the tests they want are age related. I'll be 40 in a week, and they did take blood and urine to test for various things, and I had an EKG.

My pre-op was great - I had a really nice nurse, and she had to fill out a form, asking me about 200 questions about previous medical history and family history. Part of it involved my emotional state as far as the surgery was concerned, and I told her my fears. She asked what she/they could do to make me more comfortable, and I talked with her a while about it. She asked if I had any special requests, and I asked if they could put a couple of pillows under my knees when they finished with me and parked me in the recovery room - I have scoliosis, and if I lay for a long time flat on my back, my back gets sore. She wrote it all down, and lo and behold, I woke up in the recovery room with pillows under my knees, just as I had requested!

My doc and the anesthesiologist were very considerate of my comfort - anything they could do to make me more comfortable, they did - they answered every question, and took their time.

Ask any question you have of the doc (and here too) - I guarantee you, they have heard it before and won't be embarassed - neither should you.

The thing that helped me prepare the most was reading the posts, checklists and stories on this site. I printed out the flyer and took copies to my doc and to the hospital - the nurses were interested. I also printed out the FAQ and "How others can help" list on the pulldown menus on the main page - I taped them to the tile wall next to the toilet in our bathroom, because my DH disappears in there for long periods and needs something to read. I figured I could educate him there.

Best wishes, and welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 04:10 PM
Preop appt

I've been posting on this website for a short time because my surgery is scheduled for April 19th. The first thing I did when I found this website is to get acquainted with all the sisters by reading about them. This website also offers questions you can print to take with you to your preop appt. It helps a lot to be prepared.
The sisters have been so supportive, so if you need anything
all you have to do is ask. Some of the posts here are so much fun, it brightens your day. I enjoy all the posts, and sometimes I've been able to really relate to their feelings. I was very anxious when I started looking for anything on the web about hysterectomy, but after I found this site, I've learned a lot.
Good luck with your surgery! Keep posting! I hope you enjoy this website as much as I have.
Unread 04-04-2002, 04:30 PM
what can I expect?

Hi JJH!

Welcome to Hystersisters! We're glad you're here!

I had one week's notice for my surgery so I was thrilled to have found this site and read all about the experiences of the princesses here, as well as all the lists of things to ask, things to do, things to bring, things to prepare ahead of time. I would have been lost without my wonderful hystersisters!

One thing I wish I had was a journal to keep track of everything in. I could have written all my questions for the DR in there and brought it with me to write all the answers in -- alas, I had to rely on my memory, which did not serve me very well, as it turns out!

There is a wonderful journal right here on the site in the Hystersisters Store -- I bought it when I was post op and still found it very handy and useful.

Overall, I would like to pass on to you to try and go into this with a positive attitude, and take very good care of yourself, paying close attention to what the DR tells you. This is a time for you to focus on your health and well-being so that everything goes as smoothly as possible.

Please stick around, read -- post questions -- come to the Hystersisters Chat, where there are terrific ladies there who love to welcome you with hugs and the benefit of their experience in real time!

Wishing you all good things, and sending big HUGS your way!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register