Spinal anesthetic | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Spinal anesthetic Spinal anesthetic

Unread 04-04-2002, 04:29 PM
Spinal anesthetic

Hi sisters, Just had my pre-op appt yesterday and was surprised to learn that the anesthetist will be doing a spinal anesthetic for my LAVH on April 15th. I simply assumed that it would be a general .... I am glad not to have to face the effects of a general anesthetic but am now adjusting to the idea of a spinal. He says the procedure will take about 90 minutes and that I will be somewhat sedated but aware of hapenings. Has anyone out there gone through the surgery this way? What do I expect? Maybe it's just the idea of the positioning - not exactly a dignified pose for 90 minutes! Support anyone? Thanks! CMC
P.S. How do I find the threads from my messages?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 04:58 PM
Spinal anesthetic

[i am 5 weeks post-op today.i'm feeling great! i still get tired and if i do too much, i get the swelly belly.so i get back to my recliner with my feet up. i wanted to tell you that i had an epidural for my surgery.when the nurses came to sedate me i told them i was not nervous or scared. they said it was up to me, so i talked to my dr. right up until the time she was about to begin the surgery. they gave me something to breathe,and the next thing i remember i was waking up in recovery, and i was able to talk to the nurse.she told me that most people take the drugs they give you, i'm glad that i did not. they took my epidural out the next day. i went home with vicidin took it 2 days after that ,all i took was some ibuprophen.i didn't have the morphine "itch" and i was able to talk to people who called me,read magazines and was able to hold everything down that i ate. pam-tah w/epidural.
Unread 04-04-2002, 06:49 PM
Spinal anesthetic

hi cmc!
I had a spinal for my TVH and was completely unaware of what was going on. It really depends on how much and what kind of sedation is used. If you are concerned about being aware, discuss with your doctor and meds can be adjusted for this. Some women are interested in the procedure to want to experience this. I chose not to, but I will say that having had the spinal vs a general, I would definitely opt for the spinal again. I had no side effects and quickly recovered from the anesthesia. All the best to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 07:48 PM
Spinal anesthetic

Hi, cmc,

I had spinal anesthesia with sedation for my TVH/BSO, and I would choose it again. As ~Si~ pointed out, it's not necessary to remember anything about your surgery, unless you want to. Discuss this with your anesthesiologist before your surgery, so everyone will know how involved you want to be with the surgery.

I have no memory of having the spinal catheter placed, the surgery, or having the spinal cathether removed. When I arrived in my patient room, I was ready to walk. No headaches, no nausea or vomiting, and no "drugged" feeling. I'd had all of those problems in the past, with general anesthesia.

Good luck with your surgery.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-04-2002, 09:29 PM
Spinal anesthetic

I had a spinal for my TVH and would absolutely make that choice again. I had the "happy shot" so I was vaguely aware of what was happening but relaxed enough to doze through most of it. I was so tired from the stress of waiting that I was ready to fall asleep from the time I laid down on the gurney - long before making it to the OR. Actually the happy shot was more painful than the spinal - I just felt a slight prick for the spinal. As for the surgery, I was aware of some of the conversation between the doctors and surgical staff, but it didn't bother me. The only time I was aware of the surgery itself was when I heard my doctor say how easily the uterus was coming out. The anesthesiologist woke me up when it was over and a nurse asked if I wanted to see the uterus, which I did, just out of curiosity more than anything. After 30 years of painful periods, I kind of wanted to see "the culprit". I did have some nausea after I got to my room which is unusual for a spinal. I think it was a combination of the stress I had felt going in combined with an empty stomach more than anything else. The only discomfort I felt during the surgery was from the temperature of the operating room. I woke myself up shivering a couple of times. I'm not sure if there was a pain reliever in the IV or not - it was removed about 11 hours after surgery and the only thing I was given for pain in the hospital (or home, for that matter) was Ibuprofin. The only pain I experienced after surgery was mild cramping - far less than my periods have been the last few years. Those mild cramps went away after the 2nd or 3rd day. Getting out of bed and walking was never difficult, and my bladder and bowels got back to normal pretty quickly. You might ask about the side effects of a spinal - I think the anesthesiologist said around 7% wind up with a "spinal headache" - I'm not sure about other possible side effects. Like I said though, I'd absolutely make the same choice again.
Unread 04-05-2002, 04:22 PM
Spinal anesthetic

Hi Sisters,
Thanks so much for your replies regarding spinal anesthetic. I am actually quite intrigued about being somewhat involved in the actual LAVH process. I don't want a general anesthetic at all and I do want as comfortable a recovery as possible. I am already prone to migraine headaches and tension headaches so waking up and enduring yet another one is enough to send shivers down my spine. I'm sure I won't sleep the night before, so I'll attempt the happy medium - aware but dozy enough to enjoy the enforced relaxation!

Another question for the experts out there - do the surgeons/gynaecologists performing the LAVH usually ask you if you want to see the uterus after removal? Is it something I should discuss before the procedure? I am somewhat curious and after all, it did house my 10 lb son 26 years ago. I don't want to regret not doing it later - and I certainly won't get the chance again ever! Any thoughts anyone? Thanks for your support..CMC
Unread 04-05-2002, 05:30 PM
Spinal anesthetic

When the nurse asked afterwards if I wanted to see the uterus and I said I did, she laughed and said, "they always want to see it, they just never want to ask." If you're worried about missing the opportunity, just let them know in advance. They've heard it before!
Unread 04-06-2002, 07:12 AM
i have a picture !

i asked my dr. if i could see my uterus and ovaries. she told me she'd take a picture! she took 4 different angles. when i saw the pictures i knew i had done the right thing. it was enlarged and it had a huge fibroid along with more little ones by it. i'm glad i had it done! ghsangel25!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register