Scheduled for Surgery 4-16-02 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled for Surgery 4-16-02 Scheduled for Surgery 4-16-02

Unread 04-04-2002, 07:41 PM
Scheduled for Surgery 4-16-02

Hello Everyone!!!!

Like everyone else who will go thru the surgery, I AM AFRAID!!! However, have anyone received a list of things to take to the hospital that they could share with me? Also, have your doctor stated how long you would be in the hospital? THANK YOU!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2002, 08:56 PM

Hi. If you go to the main page and to the pull downs , there are articles for pre op and one is a list of things to take. Don't be surprised if you over pack, I didn't use 1/2 of what I took. I took a new gown but after I got there I decided to use the hospitals gowns and saved my new one when I got home. I did take a light weight robe to wear when I walked the halls, underwear, some pads from home but you can use the hospitals, slippers, chap stick , favorite lotion , hair items to hold my hair back , socks to wear in bed, portable cd player and my favorite music , pictures my kids drew to decorate my room, a stuffed bear that my daughter wanted me to take to use when I needed to cough,
plus a lot of other things that I didn't use.
I was only going to stay in the hospital 1 night ( my surgery was the first one of the day ) but the second day I started running a temp and was nauseated , so I was approved to stay another night. I had aTVH/BSO and I think that 1 -2 nights is pretty normal for this if all goes well.
One thing that I don't remember seeing posted is that when you get home , write down each time you take meds because you may not remember when you took them. I did this for several days because I was alone and didn't want to have to rely on memory when I took meds.
I am 2 1/2 weeks post op and can tell you that the waiting really is the worse part. Just keep coming to this site for encouragement and support. It really helped me.
Best Wishes to you . Terri
Unread 04-04-2002, 09:45 PM

At my particular castle, the standard stay for a TVH is 1 day, and 2 days for a TAH. Going in I thought 1 day wouldn't be enough, but I was more than ready to leave when the time came. I just used the basics - chapstick, pads, underwear, toothbrush & toothpaste, facial cleanser, and a comb. I used the hospital gown because the bleeding was the greatest the 1st 24 hours and I wasn't going to mess up my new PJs. (I had decided beforehand that if I had to have a hysterectomy, I was at least going to get cute pajamas as some sort of consolation.) I took a Walkman and tapes but I had a bad reaction to anti-nausea medication they gave me when I got to my room. They filled my IV with Benedryl to counteract the bad stuff so I spent most of the first day sleeping off the antihistimine in my system and never touched the Walkman.

Most (if not all) hospitals use thick old-fashioned pads without adhesive, so you'll probably want to take your own pads. If you're there more than a day, you'll probably take a shower so you may want a combination shampoo & conditioner. I took some to the castle, but didn't shower until I got home.

FYI - I told my friends that in view of the short stay, my feelings would not be hurt if they didn't visit. They all took the hint and waited until I got home and then they brought food. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 05:38 AM

We share the same castle date!! I was told I would be in the hospital 1-3 days...my doctor said 1-2 and the scheduling nurse said 2-3...I think it all depends on how YOU feel...I did very well on my general anest..after my lap, the doctor was soo shocked that I was awake and understood everything he was telling me, I even stopped for breakfast on my way home and after my son was born I was up roaming the halls 2 hours after birth...but everyone is different and who knows, I have never had major surgery...this could be different! I am hoping to be home after 1 day, I relax so much better in my own bed, but they will not make you leave if you do not feel ready! I will think of you on the 16th! And look forward to reading how your "castle" stay was!
Unread 04-05-2002, 04:34 PM
what to have on hand

Hi
my doctor told me to have stool softener on hand, something like gasx too. Also to bring all meds in their bottles to hospital. You can start taking the stool softener right after surgery to avoid any bearing down.
Unread 04-05-2002, 05:08 PM
Hi

Hi I am also having surgery the 16th , but mine is different than yours, i am just having a laproscopic, laser D&C I have a fibroid tumor on the back of my uterus, anyway I will most likely be having a hyster soon, I just wanted to say Good Luck and take care, I will keep you in my 'ers.
Love,
Misty
Unread 04-05-2002, 05:34 PM

It will be okay, I promise! s for you!

Chapstick is the number one thing! Oh, and take some of those socks with grippers on the bottom. I didn't use half of the stuff I brought from home. I was grateful for my own pillow though, I put on a t-shirt pillowcase, ahhhhhh, was nice!

Good luck! See you on the other side!

Sara
Unread 04-05-2002, 08:09 PM
04-16-2002 SURGERY DATE ALSO!

My surgery date is 04-16-2002 and I just want to let everyone who is scheduled for this date to try and think positive. My mother's favorite quote is "Why worry when you can PRAY." My cousin who is a nurse told me something that may be helpful to all is that she would suggest eating a lot of vegetables and salads about three(3) days prior to surgery so when it is time to have a bowel movement before you are released that you will not have to strain. She said this will help very much along with the walking when the nurse comes to you to get up. Right now I'm not scared just a little nervous basically due to not knowing what to expect. My pre-op is 04/11/2002 and my surgery time is 10:30am(04/16) which I have to be at the hospital by 8:30am. Well I'm going now so everyone take care and if you want to e-mail so that we can maybe have a strong support group before, during, and after I'm up for it. E-mail me: teepee@bcinet.net

God bless all of you
Teresa
Unread 04-05-2002, 08:44 PM
Surgery date also April 16th

Hi All,

Looks like a few of us with the same surgery date of April 16th. I have not had my pre-op yet, not until the 15th but, the Dr. told me 1-2 days in the castle. I am happy to comply with whatever is reccommended because, I am afraid of the pillow! My sugery is scheduled at 10:00 on the 16th. Sure wish it was earlier!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register